1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"deny the Master who bought them."

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dale-c, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you don't believe in expositional preaching. You don't believe in exegetical studies either. You are out on a broken limb Mr. Snow.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney. I agree with Robert, whenever you see a person go to so much effort to explain away the easily understood meaning of a verse or passage, or in this case the words "bought" and "Lord" a red flag should immediately go up.

What I am amazed at is how intelligent people can be fooled by this wresting of scripture and not easily perceive that a person is forcing scripture to fit their presupposed doctrine.

I also see that James White has a great dislike for the King James Version. That doesn't surprise me one bit, many who teach false doctrine do.

3. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure if this particular question has been answered or not, but I may as well add this: John here was speaking as a Jew to Jews. There was still a great antipathy on the part of many Jews - even many Messianic Jews - against the Gentiles' entering in on (what they felt was) their covenant with God.

That is why John reminds his readers that Christ is a propitiation not just for Jewish sins but for those of Gentiles as well.

4. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another mind-reader wannabe.

When you guys go into great detail for your pet doctrines it is considered in-depth studying. When we do it it is evasion.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Tom. Winman keeps needing to refresh his memory on this real meaning of this passage of Scripture.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your premise is false. If there was anyone that wrote to the "world", that is, both Jews and Gentiles, it was John. John in most of his letters wrote to the world at large. Look at the Gospels. Matthew was directed to a Jewish audience with Christ presented as the Messiah. Mark was directed to a Roman audience presenting Christ as a servant (thus no genealogy). Luke was directed to the Greeks presenting Christ as perfect man, and John wrote to the world at large presenting Christ as the Savior of the world, the Son of God. He has a world-wide audience in the book of Revelation, as well as in his first epistle of John.

When your premise is wrong, what follows is wrong.
    Christ made a propitiation for the sins of the world, just as he wrote. No need to water down the Bible.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom is right. You are wrong. Read my post number 48 in the 1 John 2:2 thread.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John's ministry was primarily to Jews. Paul was the apostle to the gentiles.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are not correct Rippon.

1 Tim 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men.
    2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

What is the meaning IN CONTEXT of "all men" here? It means 100% of mankind. It would be a very difficult argument indeed to say that all kings and politicians are the elect! But we see in vs. 6 that Jesus gave himself a ransom for ALL.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

FROM WINMAN:
    I genereally agree with your posts on this thread...but I don't think these 2 things (dislike for the KJV = Teaching false doctrine). At least they are not connected any more than dislike for any translation = a teacher of false doctrine.

I'll agree that it is not generally a good idea to disparage ANY reputable translation of scripture in a sermon.

We recently devoted a sunday night to honoring the KJV's 400 years, while saying that there are many other good translations, and that it, like any translation, has its weaknesses.

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think the more difficult question is what does "for" mean in v. 6? Because, as we have all said before, it does NOT mean that his death saves them all.

However, Verses like this one in 1 timothy, and 2 Pet. 2:1 are what have lead me to consider myself a 4-pointer, or at least something in between. I still think most of this arguement is semantics.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I would say a 4 pointer is not a Calvinist at all, but folks can call themselves whatever they like. Calvinism is a house of cards, pull one card out and it all crashes down.

Jesus gave himself a ransom for ALL. In the context shown, this verse could only be speaking of 100% of men.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are all the property of God.​

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Proverbs 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.​

HankD​

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

YES! And the OT atonement was made for EVERY JEW, just as Christ's atonement was made for EVERY MAN. Christ's atonement doesn't exclude anybody!

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your reasoning is like the despicable and illogical reasoning I find on the board by the Calvinists. "If you are not a Calvinist, then you must be an Arminian." I have never heard such an inane statement in my life, but it is stated over and over again here, as if there are no other options.

But your logic is the same. Because Paul is the apostle to the gentiles, John was not allowed to address the Gentiles, or all other books were addressed to the Jews. That's foolishness and just as illogical.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture Citations From 2011 NIV

1 Timothy 2:1-6
    I urge then,first of all,that petitions,prayers,intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people --for kings and all those in authority,that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good,and pleases God our Savior,who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind,the man Christ Jesus,who gave himself as a ransom for all people.

Wrong again. It means all kinds of people,ordinary folks with no power and influence as well as rulers.In other words,all sorts of folks.

In Titus 2:11 it speaks of salvation being brought to all people. But the context clues one in --older women,young men,slaves and in 3:1 rulers and authorities. In short--all types of folks.

Yes,it would indeed. Who is saying such nonsense?

And by the context --which determines meaning --all kinds of people -- not each and every person head-for-head without exception.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NKJV Acts 17:30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

HankD​

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Pure baloney. Calvinism constantly tells us what God MEANT to say. In Calvinism, God is not smart enough to properly express himself and needs Reformed "scholars" to clarify what he really meant to say. God says "all men", Calvinists say God really meant to say "only the elect". Or, in this passage where it is clear Paul is speaking of all mankind, Calvinists say God really meant to say "all kinds of men". Laughable.

Sure is great you Calvinists have come along and helped God, as in your view God is not smart enough to say "only the elect" or "all kinds of men".

[snipped - inflammatory] I would not have been fooled by these false arguments when I was six years old!

#59 Winman, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Are you under the impression that I object to Acts 17:30? If so,you are completely mistaken.

The world = Jews and Gentiles alike. That is,the children of God scattered throughout the earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.