1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Devout Christian says she is psychic.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by genesis12, Jul 26, 2006.

1. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Sabrina knew she had "the gift" from the time she was about 9 years old.

"I wasn't completely accurate, but I have gotten better with age, with
    practice," said Sabrina, now a young mother to her own daughter and a
    professional psychic in northeast Mississippi.

Sabrina, who asked that her real name and exact location be kept secret,
    said she inherited psychic abilities from her mother, who had received it
    from her grandmother. They are of Romanian descent, as are many of the
    psychics here and across the country.

(Psychic TV) programs' success arises perhaps because three in four Americans believe in at least one form of paranormal activity, according to a 2005 Gallup poll.

Communicating with God through prayer is one thing, but communicating with the dead through psychic powers is another. Conservative Christians - like those in the Mid-South - are less likely to believe in anything outside the religious norm, said Michael Harrington, chair and professor of religion and philosophy at the University of Mississippi.

"I found that the more conservative the believer, the less receptive they
    are to this," Harrington said. "They tend to write it off to the work of the
    devil."

That's not true of Betty or her clients. The Verona psychic, who also asked that her identity be kept secret, said everything she does with her gift reflects God's will: He is the one who gave her the powers and He is the one who guides her visions.

A devout Christian, Betty does not advertise nor does she charge for her
    services because she says she's doing the work of the Lord. If she got
    greedy with her gift, she said, God would take it away.

(Le Coz, Mississippi "Daily Journal," 6/11/06).

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

mmmm

So much could be said . . .

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Go on ms "chatty" ...let er rip :)

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, pastor pesky, I'm sure you could add a bit too over the biblical improbability of a christian having real (or possibly even imagined) psychic abilities.

Of course -- the good prof already put me off saying too much with his maligning comments about Christians in the south and their closed minds to things outside the religious norm. ACK!

I might be able to come up with more, but I'll give someone else a chance for the moment. :tongue3:

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

So I take it none of yall have ever known stuff before it happened.

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

One time when I was young I hit my sister and I knew that my dad was going to tan my hide when he got home. Does that make me a psychic or a prophet?:smilewinkgrin:

Bro Tony

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I believe there are times when the Lord shows us what is going to happen.

But I think the OP is a little bit more than just knowing something before hand. When you claim you have a "gift"
    from an early age and are using that to tell others what is going to happen that takes it to another level.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

:laugh:

It's a good thing I wasn't eating or drinking anything when I read this. :smilewinkgrin:

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This is the very reason I keep a towel at my desk.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, Tater, I've known stuff before it was going to happen because I'm analytical and look at surrounding events, behaviors, etc. And it's one thing to predict outcomes and another to KNOW those outcomes.

I could have told you Tony's dad would tan his hide too though.

I also believes the Lord reveals things to us -- it doesn't happened to me on a regular basis though, and I don't think God's revelation would improve with my practice. IMHO :tongue3:

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Take the term "devout Christian" with a big, big grain of salt as to what it means. It's either a term the reporter wrote or the psychic herself used. It often means someone who attends church a lot. The question can also be, what kind of church?

I get emails from psychics who claim to be Christian fairly often. This is what I discover after emailing with them:
    1. They are Roman Catholic and are unaware of scripture against what they do, or they argue about it. But they think they are devout because they go to Mass every day or pray the rosary every day, etc. Well-known medium and psychic John Edward is Roman Catholic.
    2. They have a definition for "Christian" that is not the authentic meaning - that is, they think Jesus was a psychic, too, and they have a New Age or spiritualist view of Jesus, or they define "christian" as someone who believes Jesus was a great spiritual teacher
    3. They are Spiritualists -- this kind of goes with the one above. Spiritualists believe Jesus was a medium and some Spiritualists might call themselves Christians
    4. They are New Agers. Many New Agers say they are Christians.
    5. They claim to be Christian but when it comes down to it, they have an argument against the Bible as God's word. Many of them will start attacking the Bible once I bring it up to show that what they are doing is incompatible with being a Christian.

I took psychic development classes and was mentored by psychics, and was married by one (who had a minister's license). I also knew Spiritualists. The psychics and Spiritualists I knew were mostly New Agers, but there are those who use the term Christian.

People take the term "Christian" at face value and we need to watch that in these cases.

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Bro Tony, I think I had a similar vision of prophecy as a child! It's a miracle! :)

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed.

spiritism and doctrines of demons -- be here.

14. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I did once back in 1986. I was walking down the street and the nuimbers 5 - 8 - 7 kept going through my mind. I didn't know what it meant. I went to the coin shop and sold a silver 1964 Kennedy half dollar, and the coin dealer paid me $5.87 for it. 5 - 8 - 7. I rarely get experiences like that.

I've been moved by the Holy Spirit before, but that experience is a lot different from an ESP experience. From my limited experience, an ESP experience is more mental. Being moved by the Holy Spirit works on a much deeper level. :saint:

15. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

LOL MP---Let's start a new church!!!! Or maybe a TV ministry!!!!!

Bro Tony

16. Brother Shane

Brother Shane New Member

Chrisitan Psychic = oxyMORON