1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Calvin murder Servetus?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 1689Dave, Dec 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had questions about this until I found a denial of doing so in his own words. "For what particular act of mine you accuse me of cruelty I am anxious to know. I myself know not that act unless it be with reference to the death of your great master, Servetus. But that I myself earnestly entreated that he might not be put to death his judges themselves are witnesses, in the number of whom at that time two were his staunch favourers and defenders. But I have said quite enough about myself." Calvin's Calvinism Translated Henry Cole P-346

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Calvin didn't murder Servetus. It could be argued his view of the Church-State relationship made his murder inevitable, but Calvin's ecclesiology was not unique.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guilty by association, places Calvin “in the box” for the crime.

Hindsight being what it is, Calvin did not separate nor did he offer himself to be condemned. Calvin, the lawyer, (imo) over ruled Calvin the believer.

However, I am not without a certain bias when it comes to lawyers and courts presenting their own agenda toward those often victimized.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the Op is on a vacation, this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.