1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did/does God require blood sacrifice?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rebel1, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeremiah 7:22 -23 says no. Other OT prophets say the same. Hosea has God saying that He desires mercy and not sacrifice. Jesus quotes this in the NT also.

So, are you going to worship the God of Jesus and the OT prophets, or some pagan blood-lust god that you have tried to change the one true God into?

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world are you talking about?

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's saying he doesn't like the hymn, "Nothing But the Blood".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

5. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He might be alluding to stuff like Penal Substitution. Where the idea is GOD POURED OUT HIS WRATH on Jesus.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, go back and read the o/p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I distinctly recall reading about the sacrificing of animals in the Scriptures, so it seems to me God is all in on the "blood sacrifice" idea.

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeremiah, Hosea, and other prophets said He wasn't. In fact, they have God saying that directly.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God requires the shedding of blood because it illustrates the law of SIN and DEATH , there are a multitude of passages which clearly show the blood propitiation of Jesus Christ.

Romans 3
    23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
    24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

All the animal sacrifices before the incarnation, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ were but a shadow of the shedding of the blood of the promised messianic seed of the woman in Genesis 3:15.

Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Mortal blood gives life to the flesh of a mortal being, when it is shed that flesh mortal being dies.

The Logos (the Second Person of the Trinity) became mortal flesh in a virgin's womb, He willingly laid down His life allowing His blood to be shed on our behalf.

He then was made alive by the eternal Spirit instead of mortal blood.

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Jesus desire is to share this life with "whosoever will" and He sent the Holy Spirit to invite us back into His eternal blessings.

Once we are visited by the Holy Spirit and convicted of sin then the LORD accepts us in His beloved Son Jesus Christ.

A "head knowledge" of the propitiation of the shed blood of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins is not enough for salvation.

It must be BELIEVED.

That is the meaning of those passages you presented. God above all wants FAITH rather than intellectual acceptance of doctrine alone.

Again:

Romans 3
    23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
    24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

• Like Like x 1
  10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So what's all this stuff about sacrificing sheep, doves and such then? And at the end to top it all off, the sacrificing of His only Son? This is not people just saying this, this "blood sacrifice" is reality, there are examples of it happening everywhere in the scriptures.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you learn the context of those passages come back and talk to us. Until then your liberal raping of scripture rings hollow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t know, but if pagan ANE religions call for sacrifices, I figure it's their priests copying the true God, and not the true God copying the pagans.
    Confused

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've missed the ENTIRE point of every single passage your are referring. I'm not really sure if you care to hear the actual point, but somebody might.

I'll use this example. What if a very loving father had a deadbeat son who didn't give a crap about him. Let's say the son comes over on Father's Day and the dad, seeing him come up in the driveway, gets excited. The son walks in, gives him a glare, and tosses a gift bag at him and says, "Here. It's a watch. Have a nice day, you old #@*&.. I'll see you next year. And don't call me."

The father would have absolutely ZERO interest in that watch. He would be hurt and only desiring the love and mercy of his son.

That's what the Israelites were doing to God. Oh, they played the game of making sacrifices and going about their rituals, but they were much more enthralled with engaging in pagan rituals. Homosexual priests, female prostitute priestesses, burning babies in the fire, eating their own children during famine, and basically ignoring the law of God and obedience to him.

The sacrifices were part and parcel of showing a LOVE for God. But they just became a drudgery that showed disdain for God in their hearts.

THOSE sacrifices make God sick. It isn't that he wanted the sacrificial system obliterated. God desired MERCY [love of God] and a sacrificial system that showed that..

Pick ANY passage from the Old Testament and even the New where this is mentioned and I can show you where you are ever so wrong about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just so you know he has frequented this board over the years using at least three other usernames and always shows up out of the blue starting threads about the exact same subjects. He is not looking for discussion he is looking for others who believes the way he does.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now I know.....thanks.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless Jesus died as the Lamb of God, by the shedding of His blood upon that Cross, all of us here are still lost sinners hell bound!

17. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Law of Sin and Death necessitates that when there is sin, blood must be shed.

I didn't make the rules.

18. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a liar and one of the most evil people I have ever met on a forum. I have seen people banned from this forum, but not you. I wonder how you manage to remain, considering how vile you are.

At least two of the mods know who I am.

19. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you do not. Why would you believe a habitual liar and slanderer?

20. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God did not say that He desired mercy and a sacrificial system that showed that. He said that He desired mercy AND NOT SACRIFICE. You are twisting His words to try and prop up a sacrificial system that the prophets said He did not institute. What part of "I desire mercy and not sacrifice" do you not understand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.