1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did God Breathe Out (Inspire) Actual English Words

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

How is it you KNOW that God could never have spoken English? He speaks to me evryday through English.

Your ideal links itsself with the fasle teaching of the '60's: "God is Dead" appeared on the front cover of Time magazine.

When did God die that He could never have spoken English?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Does God speak to you using 'thee' and 'thou'? And is what he says to you inspired?

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Of course. :godisgood:

Why would anyone want to deny God speaking to others through His word?

Is that REALLY your motive???

Just a thought for you to ponder: if it isn't God speaking through His word, just WHO is speaking!!!???!!!

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sal simply justifies everyone of my ten points and proves the mindset of those in the "sect" who simply deny reality and teach the false and horrendous error and attack on the Word of God by a second "inspiration".

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just a nitpick on the thread title.

Breathing out is to expire. Inspire is about breathing into something, usually your lung. But in this context, it is God breathing into scripture.

carry on.

#25 Gold Dragon, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2008
  6. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Most scholars place Jesus' crucifixion at about 30 AD. English didn't begin developing until around 500 AD. I hope this info helps you.

7. franklinmonroe

Of course, you're correct about "expire" and "inspire". However, is it possible that God breathed-out the words of scripture? (2 Timothy 3:16 doesn't specify 'in' or 'out'.) Breathed-in seems to imply that the words were written down on paper before God inspired them, rather than the words coming directly from God's mind.

8. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True story. Back in late 1976, events in my life put this crazy idea into my head, that idea being that I would like to learn about God. I took a novel approach, instead of asking family and friends, I decided to go to a store and and buy a Bible, read it and hopefully find out what I needed to know about God.

So, I went to a Bible Bookstore with some money in my pocket. I remember walking thru the door and being asked by the lady working there if she could help me. I told her I wanted to buy a Bible. Her next words were " A King James Bible?" Not knowing anything about the various versions/translations available in 1976 or wanting to admit that I didn't comprehend the implications of the question, I simply replied "yes". So minutes later I go back into my car with a King James Version of the Holy Bible, small print, Red Letter, leather cover, published by Thomas Nelson. I still have that Bible today in my collection.

Back at my dorm room, I spent about 4 or 5 weeks reading on my own the Holy Bible KJV. I had no real help or anyone to give me advice and soon became frustrated and started to feel that I was getting nowhere in this quest. A fellow on my floor one day showed me a copy of his Bible, the title was "The Way". It was the Living Bible with notes. A few days later I purchased a copy of the Living Bible in paperback ($2.99). This Bible had a topical index and the plan of salvation and it was using that Bible, the Living Bible, in March 1977 I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

I have been reading the Bible in various translations/versions including the King James since that time, I have about 85 Bibles in my collection. However, according to a pastor of a local KJVO church, it is impossible for anyone to be saved without the KJV. So, I guess I'm not saved even though I love the Lord and read from His book every day. This is because I didn't hang in long enough with the "correct" translation of the Bible and instead I used for the first 3 years of my Christian life a paraphrase of the Bible.

Salvation, according to this logic, is confessing sin, turning from sin, believing and and trusting in Jesus (His death/resurrection as the price of sin paid in full, believed in faith by the grace of God) for your salvation is not enough, you must have a certain translation of the English Holy Bible in your had at the time of conversion. Sin continues to blind me to the truth as I'm not trusting the holy words of nice folks like Sal and getting rid of everything except the KJB, 1769 B.Blaney edition AND again confessing Jesus as Lord of my life (for the second time) with said Bible in my hand. Believing the Gospel isn't enough, it has to be done with the 1611 KJV, revised in 1769, right Sal?

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wasn't commenting on God's method of inspiration, just our use of words.

I consider God to have inspired and breathed into scripture as it was written down on paper by fallible men.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sal's answer to Dr. Bob's third question directly contradicts his answer to Dr. Bob's first question.

And we come back to: God was powerful enough to preserve His word the translation process, but impotent in preserving His word through the printing process?

Methinks holes exist in the KJVO argument. Big ones.

11. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Did God breathe out actual English words like He did to the writers of the Bible in Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic? No, none of these languages are English, although some English words get their root meanings from these.

3. What English translation contains these actually breathed-out words? The King James Bible

I agree that his answer to the first question conflicts with his answer to the third question.

12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crabtownboy
    If the King James Bible, 1611 was inspired words by God why did the translators feel a few years later they needed to revise it to, "correct errors" as they said in the preface of the revision?

The fact is that later editors of KJV editions did more than just change the type and spellings and even more than correcting errors made by the printers. The actual evidence is clear that later editors changed a number of renderings that were the responsibility of the KJV translators themselves who had kept them from the Bishops' Bible.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

So much for the KJV translators not having any 'agenda' I'd say, hunh??? :rolleyes:

Ed

14. franklinmonroe

Praise the Lord!

15. dfj

dfj New Member

Hard to Compete

It seems apparent, that KJVO is quite similar to EVOO in that it is soothing and very good for cooking!

It would also seem that "God Breathed", (Theopneustos), should be easy to grasp, if God is really enabling your understanding rather than our own intellectual pride.

Think about what we are really trying to accomplish, (pleasing God).

God gives inspiration to humans, (a special influence by our LORD on the minds of human beings).

All [true] Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness.

God teaches Believers via Precepts, (a command, concept or principle intended especially as a general rule of action ).

The Precepts in all modern Versions can be tested and compared.

There exists, very little danger that any of the MVs will corrupt the understanding, if the Believer is truly led by the Holy Spirit.

KJV, NAS, NIV, TNIV, etc. all contain the Precepts of God and it is only the distortion introduced by the teachings of un-inspired human beings that cause all the misunderstandings.

16. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

1. Did God breathe out actual English words like He did to the writers of the Bible in Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic? Yes

2. What actual words did God actually breathe out? All of them

3. What English translation contains these actually breathed-out words? King James

4. What about synonyms? (ex: a translation might use sin or trespass or fault or transgression all to translate the same Greek word) Which is the correct God-breathed English word? The King James

5. What do we do with the God-breathed Greek/Hebrew words that have been the authority for 2000-3500 years? They are obviously different, so are they superceded by the English God-breathed words? Yes - the English consolidates the Greek.

6. When an English translation adds words not in the Greek/Hebrew, are those words automatically God-breathed? In the King James, Yes

7. Will the English God-breathed words correct the Greek God-breathed words? No. They will correct the errors in the Greek Manuscripts (we don't have the originals, so we can't compare)

8. If God breathed-out English words in one translation, how can that translation ever be changed (updated) without attacking God's Words? Well, spelling can be changed, printing errors corrected. The words are still the same. Thy word is settled in heaven.

9. If God breathed-out only one translation, are all others therefore false, since they differ in word choices from that one translation? Yes and No. Other can contain parts of the word of God, but are not perfect and pure. Others are just downright perverse.

Those are my answers friends. You didn't ask for reasons. And I'm not obliged to give them, since no one here is willing to be taught.

17. dfj

dfj New Member

Nearsighted and Blind

Interesting! Rather severe perhaps.

I am totally mystified by the KJVO position that some have taken. I agree that there are some passages in all of translational work that need improvement, however, I cannot subscribe to any one Version over another as, upon inspection, they all have issues; that does not mean that they cannot serve God's purpose.

True, some are nearsighted and blind and do not have a teachable spirit but there are many who would like to learn how to discern truth from error if there was only someone patient enough to teach them.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Dr. Bob simply exposes himself for being the instigator who produces a legalistic form to entrap others.

Notice he does nothing to try and refute my answers to all ten of his questions, but rather attacks my person and then tries to slander the Salamander.

God's word remains inspired in any language that holds dear and close to truth without the errors suggested in doctrine as so many other versions have done.

To think that God is somehow limited to speaking only to those he individually had to grant us His word in thiose tongues gives an implication of "angellic tongues" that God originally spoke in and those words were "interpreted" by divinely appointed men above all other Christians.

This ideal would also make God a liar when He SAID, in every tongue, "God is no respector of persons".

How do you prove another wrong when you know he is already right? You invent a form of rules to only allow specific impressions and confined all free thinkers to that box in which that man has manufactured.

If this weren't about another member's character and reputation, Dr. Bob would have addressed me personally. Since he didn't and started this trash as some others have previously, I felt like the door had opened to grant me the same privilege to reaspond to him in the second person too.:tonofbricks:

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So you think that God died when the body in human form died in the person of Jesus?

SERPENT ALERT!

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

What is a "Serpent Alert?"