1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus exist? Court to decide

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by JamieinNH, Jan 4, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

ROME, Italy (Reuters) -- Forget the U.S. debate over intelligent design versus evolution.

An Italian court is tackling Jesus -- and whether the Roman Catholic Church may be breaking the law by teaching that he existed 2,000 years ago.

The case pits against each other two men in their 70s, who are from the same central Italian town and even went to the same seminary school in their teenage years.

The defendant, Enrico Righi, went on to become a priest writing for the parish newspaper. The plaintiff, Luigi Cascioli, became a vocal atheist who, after years of legal wrangling, is set to get his day in court later this month.

"I started this lawsuit because I wanted to deal the final blow against the Church, the bearer of obscurantism and regression," Cascioli told Reuters.

Story Link

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody who believes that Jesus is not an historical figure is either (a) crazy, (b) uneducated, or (c) has an agenda that has blinded them to the facts. This atheist guy clearly falls into the B and C group(s). He has an agenda that is keeping him from seeing the evidence. We know more about Jesus (more sources, earlier sources, etc) than most any other figure from ancient history. If the historical Jesus is in doubt than I honestly don't know if we can know anything about anybody from ancient times. Of course the historical Jesus is not in doubt. Even the very liberal Jesus Seminar folks admit He really lived.

Jesus was and is real.
    He was virgin born...
    He taught the people...
    He healed the sick...
    He raised some from the dead...
    He was condemned by Pilate...
    He was crucified by the Romans...
    He was buried...
    He arose from the dead on the third day...
    He ascended into heaven...
    He will return to judge the living and dead...
    He will reign forever and ever...
    He is King of Kings...
    He is Lord of Lords...

He is Lord.

Martin.

3. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Luigi Cascioli is obvioulsy the bad guy here because he used this word, "obscurantism," which is ugly to read, and ugly to pronounce.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Even if the scriptures did not exist, there is ample documentation in other records to provide adequate evidence for Jesus having been a historical person.

5. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

But I have to wonder, didn't he speak originally in Italian, and if so, what on earth got into the head of the translator to translate like that?

6. standingfirminChrist

Ya know, this is just another example of signs of the end time. I say that they can try to explain Christ away all they want, but it will not keep me from serving my risen Savior.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It could be an automatic machine translation, which are often clumsy.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Historically there is plenty of evidence Jesus existed. Even false religions believe He existed. From what I saw this morning it is only His existence being questioned, it didn't look like they were deciding if He was deity or not. So historically theres proof the man Jesus existed.
    Did the guy say something it would take a miracle for him to win his case. Now, just who does he think is going to preform this miracle if he is an atheist?

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, he said tha exactly. He said that he knows "it will take a miracle" to win the case.

10. KCLorelei

KCLorelei New Member

[​IMG]

He probably thinks the miracle will be performed by his lawyers ;)