1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus Go To Hell?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by RedemptionAddiction, May 11, 2006.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only in Luke 16 - in which case ONLY the wicked (not David) go there in that parable!

IF David went there and hell is the payment for sins - the 2nd death - THEN he is HIS OWN savior for he paid HIS OWN debt by going to that ultimate place of payment for sins!!

your argument "from parable alone" does not stand.

Bob:
    In Matt 10 we see a different term - this is "fiery Ghenna". And there is where "Both Body AND SOUL are DESTROYED".

We know that Christ's body was NOT destroyed. So we know that His soul was not destroyed!

RA:
    I would not argue this either.

Bob:
    He did not go to hell that is -- "fiery ghenna".

That much we DO agree with.

But only in "parable". We can not take that "doctrine from parable-alone" approach since since in Luke 16 ONLY the wicked go there - while the saints go "sit in Abraham's lap".

We know that in Acts 2 David is NOT "Sitting in Abraham's lap" so but in contradiction to the parable of Luke 16 - he is IN Hades!

Your argument "from parable alone" does not work.

In Christ,

Bob

2. RedemptionAddiction

BOB:
    Only in Luke 16 - in which case ONLY the wicked (not David) go there in that parable!

IF David went there and hell is the payment for sins - the 2nd death - THEN he is HIS OWN savior for he paid HIS OWN debt by going to that ultimate place of payment for sins!!

your argument "from parable alone" does not stand.

RA:
    Few things . . . First you say that hades is described as a place of torment and flames ONLY in Luke 16 . . . As if to say, "Because you only have one scripture telling us what Hades is like, it's not as reliable" But I think that's pretty good, if you ask me. I don't see any reason to discredit it just because I only showed you one scripture. The other thing . . . Where does it say David went to Hades? Acts 2 Peter said David was describing Christ.

Bob:

But only in "parable". We can not take that "doctrine from parable-alone" approach since since in Luke 16 ONLY the wicked go there - while the saints go "sit in Abraham's lap".

RA:
    . . . I've heard people call it a parable . . . But where does it say in Luke 16 that it is? Wouldn't we be assuming it? Since it doesn't say it? Then you said only the wicked go there . . . But Acts 2 says Christ's Soul was there.