1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus go to Hell

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Kay

Kay New Member

Did he really spend three days in Hell?

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Define 'Hell'. If you mean the Prosperity Gospel's "Jesus Died Spiritually" heresy, then no. If you mean that He descended to the world of the dead (Greek = Hades, Hebrew = Sheol), then yes.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus experienced hell on the cross. Hell is separation from God ("My God, My God...why have You forsaken Me")

4. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Hell being merely separation from God is not biblical. When Christ said what you quoted He was not in Hell, but on earth.

And Hell is not void of God's presence as God is omnipresent. It is only void of His "good" countenance. The Scriptures speak of those burning in Hell being in the presence of God and the holy angels...

he also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angelspresence of the Lamb and in the . (Rev 14:10)

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This is a common interpretation of this passage with the logic being the imprisoned spirits must have been in hell.

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
    20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

6. Joe

Joe New Member

The Apostles' Creed

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

I beleive in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; on the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.

This is a universal prayer by many denominations (incl. Baptist) except the wording of the holy catholic church is often replaced with christian church.

7. larryjf

larryjf New Member

The context of the passage is Noah's day. It is referring to Christ preaching through Noah. Why would Jesus go to Hell and only preach to those from Noah's day? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree with Webdog; Jesus's hell was the cross where He was confined.

This scripture is saying that the same Spirit by which He was quickened, went in the days of Noah and preached to them which were in prison. There is no repentance after death, what benifit would it have done to preach to the dead. (fleshly dead), and it does not say He went "back" and preached to them in prison.

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is full of errors and heresies. If you want to know about them, start another thread.

10. soninme

soninme New Member

yes jesus visited hell , but he is alive toay , and his blood still washes us clean , amen:jesus: :godisgood:

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Correct, the repentance would have been before death looking forward to the Cross or coming messiah. I got to run but I would like to ask more about the "hell on the cross" theory.

Simple question, how can the second part of the godhead be void of God? ...ie How can God be apart from God?

12. Joe

Joe New Member

I didn't know I could and should start another thread if I "want to know about them"
    I am also a member of this Baptist Board. In fact, I am Baptist :)

The Apostles Creed is directly related to the OP in that it shows millions of people from various denominations cite this prayer daily which was my intention when posting it.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess we have different understandings of what "hell" is. What is worse than complete separation from God?
    I agree to an extent. Do you believe, however, that unbelievers are indwelt by God, since God is omnipresent? One can be in the presence of someone without being in their presence, so to speak. If I'm watching the Browns game, and my wife is talking to me...sometimes I will not hear what she is saying. My conscious is focusing on the Browns game, even though my wife is engaging me in conversation (don't tell her though, :D)

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Who said anything about repentance after death? And why redefine "Hell?" If one is going to allegorize what hell is, why not allegorize what heaven is, and say there is no such thing. Heaven is just what you make it--here on earth. That is the approach you are taking with the Scriptures. The Bible plainly says that Christ went to hell. Why deny it?
    For what purpose did he go there? The word "preach" also has the meaning "to proclaim." He went there to proclaim his victory to those disobedient spirits residing in hell.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What do you think earth would be like with God's hand removed from it?

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Because Hell is defined in at least three different ways. I am not changing it. Why would Christ go to the eternal hell, they are already lost?
    Hell is described as Whale's belly, Grave, and Torment. All are a place of confinement and Christ was confined to the cross. I believe that to be His hell. You can believe what you like.

BBob,

Why you making stuff up for DHK? I have not read such in the scripture, maybe you could let us know where it is, being you exploded on my believe Christ's hell was the cross. That is the only place I can read, where He was confined and the soul still with him. It certainly is not the Grave, for His soul was not in the Grave. Scripture tells us all about Him being confined to the cross. It says absolutely nothing about Him being where the rich man is.

Please tell me another time when Jesus's soul was confined, other than on the cross?

I don't think I understand your question LeBuick:?

I think God had to turn away from His Son, or He would not of died. Hope that is the answer you are looking for.

#16 Brother Bob, Sep 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007
  17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

It seems like you read my graduate thesis, for I argued the same for why Christ went to "hell" and that the Greek word behind "preached" is better rendered "proclaim" in this instance, so as to avoiding confusion.

#17 TCGreek, Sep 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I believe the Bible Bob. Hell is a place of eternal torment. However that is not all that it was. In the time of Christ it was Sheol--a place of the departed spirits consisting of two departments as described in Luke 16--one part was paradise where Abraham was, and the other part was hell, where the rich man went. And there was a great chasm between which no man could pass.

Where did Christ go when he died? What does the Scripture say?

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
    --The heart of the earth is the figurative expression for hell. In that time it was the same place where the rich man was in torment crying out to Abraham.

1 Peter 3:19-20 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
    --He went to the spirits in the prison house of hell. This is obviously hell, a place where disobedient spirits were kept. Christ went there and proclaimed his victory on the cross to them.

This is emphasized again here:
    1 Peter 4:5-6 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
    --Again the gospel was preached to them that are dead.

Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
    --Surely you wouldn't say that Peter was lying. Peter said that Christ was in hell. He also said about Christ that God would not leave him there. He had to be there first in order for Peter to say "thou wilt not leave my soul in hell," referring to Christ.

Not only did Christ proclaim victory to those in hell, being in torment. He then went to paradise where he told the thief "Today thou shalt be with me in Paradise." and then he took all those saints and led them up to heaven. That part that was then called paradise no longer exists. Only hell does. Now a believer dies and goes straight to heaven to be with the Lord. Here is the Scripture:

Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
    --He led (literall 'a multitude of captives') up to heaven when he ascended there, including the thief on the cross, Abraham, and Lazarus.

I don't make stuff up Bob. I believe the Scripture. There it all is. And there is still a lot more. I believe in a literal hell. And the Bible says that Christ went there.

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Matt, I think this is about right. My own take on this is that Jesus body went to the place of the dead (the tomb). And, I think while the body was in the tomb, he was with the Father. The Son and his fleshly body were reunited at the resurrection.

Do I have scripture for this? Nah, just speculation. But it makes a lot more sense than God the Son burning in hell for three days.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you think that Christ, in a glorified body, would burn.
    Did Daniel's three friends, thrown into the furnace, heated "seven times hotter" burn?