1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Jesus preach to spirits in Paradise?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by loDebar, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    what do you get from #13?

2. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're picking a fight for no reason. I agree with you: no one can be saved after death. Yes, believers are disobedient sometimes, a lot of the time actually. Abraham was, Moses was, David was, you and I are as well. And I never said Jesus preached "the gospel" to "the spirits in prison". The Bible simply says he "preached" to them. Not all "preaching" is about salvation.

3. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not picking any fight with anyone. There is just too much nonsense being posted on this subject which some are deluded into believing to be true. We must stick to the Teachings of Scripture as a whole, and not try to build "theology" from some uncertain verses. I don't mean this of you.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said
    He said

5. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    is this "repenting" from their sins, in order they get saved? :D what of my comments at #37?

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said he failed to show the phrase referred to Noah preaching to those in prison. But he did. He said "Christ was preaching through him to his contemporaries, urging them to repent."

Christ was preaching through Noah to those who had been alive in Noah's day but now were in the prison of hell when Peter was writing.

7. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    The actual text in 1 Peter does not say or even suggest that Jesus was "preaching" through Noah, this is mere speculation on the passage, and there are other "theories" on this as well!

Show me where it says this

"For Christ also has once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but made alive by the Spirit: In whom also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Who formerly were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, by which a few, that is, eight souls were saved through water."

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, a second chance for the wicked is exactly what I am denying.

9. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    for no one. not even for "good" people, no one!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no 'good' people (Mark 10:18).

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    post 37 does not address the text...TC and Martin have given the biblical answer...all others posts are not helpful here.

12. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    says you, who finds everything "funny"!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Abraham go to Heaven without a personal knowledge of Jesus? From a NT story or parable we understand He was in Paradise. Did Noah? Moses? Lazarus?

You get the point, If a different way to Heaven exists than the Gospel of Jesus, we are all Baptists in vain.

I believe preaching to those righteous people in Paradise, not the wicked, completes their Faith in God to provide a Savior
    We know He that hath the Son hath life.... How could Noah know of Jesus death when the disciples did not understand when living with Him?

14. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    what do you think Jesus meant by, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad" (John 8:56)? Do you believe that The Angel (Messenger) of the Lord, in the OT was the Lord Jesus Christ? See the account of the burning bush in Exodus chapter 3, you will see that The Angel of the Lord" was in the bush Who spoke to Moses, and said, "I am the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob", and also is known as "Yahweh", who is the Speaker of the words in verse 14, "I am Who I am", or as the LXX Greek versions has it, "I am the eternal One".

you say, "I believe preaching to those righteous people in Paradise", for what purpose? based on what Bible texts? You are simply guessing...

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why the termed preached might be misleading anyone who wants to find a second chance to get saved here, as Jesus was speaking about those during the flood times, but also proclaiming that he was the risen Lord, as he took the OT saints back with him up to Heaven at his ascension.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who are lost are to be judged after they die, as what one does with jesus in this life is what will count in the judgement by God.

17. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    not lost,
    Gal 3:6
    Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

but saved without a knowledge of Jesus, ? I believe those who were righteous, Heb 11 and others, were in Paradise were shown Jesus as Savior. This was after Jesus has ascended to the Father as the sacrifice but before resurrection. The knowledge if Jesus work allowed us sinners to access Heaven

no second chances for anybody but a completion of Faith in God

18. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    do you like "speculation theology"? If the Bible does not clearly tell us something, then we are not meant to know. There is no point in trying to guess what is what. Keep Deuteronomy 29:29 in mind

19. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possibly. But, their fate was already sealed, by faith, before their deaths. Even today, while we have the complete Word of God, many born-again Christians don't know everything there is to know about the very character of Christ; otherwise we would have so many opinions about Him, or about how salvation works. I'm sure the "spirits in prison's" knowledge before death was rudimentary, at best, because Christ had not yet come in their lifetimes and because they did not have the complete word of God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, their faith in God was accounted for Righteousness, but confessing Jesus as our only way of salvation is necessary.

I think they were preached to at the time of the Crucifixion to know all about Jesus, Since there is no time in death, I do not consider the time from death until Jesus any difference,. I believe those in Paradise could not enter Heaven until the sacrifice was accepted by God

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.