1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Did Jesus say John 3:16?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 17, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard a theory that even RC Sproul agrees with and that is that Jesus did not dictate John 3:16 and the rest of the chapter but his words end in verse 15. No one knows for sure so what do you say?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He said it.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,
    2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;

HankD

• Winner Winner x 4
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that Jesus dictated much of anything (in the sense of modern dictation - "Write this down").

Since quotation marks do not exist in the scriptures, we have to go by context and explicit statements ("He said") to determine where quotes begin and end. In the Gospel of John, it is very difficult to determine where Jesus actually stops speaking and John comments. So "even RC Sproul" (and hundreds of thousands of other capable interpreters and theologians) can believe that without it being notable.

If you really want someone to interpret that for you, go get a red letter edition that makes the interpretative decision for you. Just remember that the red letters are probably wrong in a number of places.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said it ALL.

Sometimes He used an apostle to say it!

HankD

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said no one know for sure. But I do have many red letter bibles and do believe that Jesus may have spoken John 3:16. But even if he did not, its still inspired scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Whether not not Scripture reveals "Jesus'" spoken word ~

What we know is:
    All scripture is in agreement with God, blessed BY HIS Spirit.
    All Jesus said was NOT recorded.
    All men WHO have become born again, Have Gods Word written in their hearts.
    All men WHO have become born again, Have access to a Spiritual relationship with God.
    All men WHO have become born again, need only to ASK God when they seek and desire His understanding.

:)

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some do indeed see John as "taking over" and recording down his own thoughts and views of what was going down, but either way, still is inspired scripture and so true!
    Like John was giving his own commentary on what was said and meant between two if them....

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, in a copy of the gospels have red lettering - doesn't that count as extra inspired?
    :)

Actually, John was a one of "the sons of thunder" willing to call fire down on the heads of folks who would oppose Christ.

He would be very careful with his statements in the account and letters. James (his brother) was the first apostle to die, and John as evidence by his fire in the letters didn't diminish in "thunder" even though he grew old and died a natural death in Ephesus.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many people think God put the red lettering in their Bibles!
    As if the words of Jesus are "more inspired"

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The better question is why do Christians question what God said?... I totally agree with what Hank said, and I'm sure Hank remembers this saying back in the day and maybe some of you do to... "GOD SAID IT!... I BELIEVE IT!... AND THAT SETTLES IT!"... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notably Jesus had been using the first person from Jn 3:3 onward, but after 3:12, the comments shift to 3rd person. I would therefore see what follows from 3:13-21 to be Johannine comment rather than a direct quote from Jesus (which also involves the problematic "which is in heaven" of 3:13 if Jesus is speaking directly).

• Like Like x 1
  12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been sometime since I looked through this passage, however I would generally disagree that the shift in English person carried from the Original, but was part of the translation process in which English grammar takes precedence.

For example, in verse 13, "He who descends..." is, "I go down...".

Now, again, I may be wrong, and seek the wisdom of those far more fresh in the languages than I, and I submit to their wisdom.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yea, kind of works against calvinist theology so it is convenient to deny Jesus said it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be also my understanding, as John was provoding "inspired commentary" on Jesus there!

15. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose editions that add quotation marks do the same thing as the red letters. Looking at Bibles with quotation marks at Bible Gateway, one can find them that end the quotes at verses 15 (e.g. NIV) or 21 (e.g. CSB, ESV). I didn't notice any that ended them at verse 12 -- but didn't look at all of them.

evangelist, it has always been my opinion that Jesus's comments to Nicodemus go on to the end of verse 21. With $5, my opinion might go as far toward buying a cup of coffee at Starbucks as R. C. Sproul's. Most importantly, it is all Spirit inspired divine truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't believe the words of the Evangelists, then ask Jesus Himself. You do know Him, right?

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make a valid point. It's all inspired scripture and we do not know for sure when Christ's words end.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe that Jesus dictated Scripture, but instead the Holy Spirit called to the mind of human authors things that were done and said. So it is all God's words, but I get your point.

I believe that John 3:1-21 is one dialogue and Jesus is presenting the gospel message to the world through this conversation with Nicodemus.

19. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

It's okay, I found the original

Jesus said "Ye must be born again. Let me ask you a few questions Nicodemus. Have you ever looked at a woman to lust after her? What does that make you? That's right, you're an adulterer. I think you need to watch a Paul Washer sermon." [John 3:16]

Looks like some false converts were trying to dilute the gospel here in John 3:16.

Seriously though, you're considering this because it's one of the many times Jesus didn't follow the "Way of the Master" evangelism guide.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some good scholars would sau that the text eflects John commentary on what was said and noted, as He was giving to us under inspiration what was said and meant by Jesus.