1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Paul Rebaptize?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

And, there was no essential difference between the message John preached and the one preached by Jesus and his disciples.

The 12 disciples instructed by Paul were immersed for the wrong reasons and had an incomplete gospel. They were not rebaptized, for their earlier baptism was invalid. It was not in reference to the coming Messiah.

The church was established during Jesus' earthly ministry. It already had the ordinances, it had a message, a head, and a gospel to preach before Jesus' ascension. The church existed before Pentecost because 3000 souls were "added" on that day. Paul was on his way to persecute the church at Damascas when he had his meeting with the risen Christ.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please to not presume to "enlighten" me. From our previous discussions on other threads I am convinced you cast more cowpie than light.:)

peace to you:praying:

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

In my own defense, I do acknowledge quoting the above, but I did not presume to "enlighten" anyone. That was the post I quoted from and responded to, actually authored by skypair. You should probably address him, actually, which is, I think, your intent here.

And I asked for enlightenment, not presuming to give such.

I do hope you are, at least somewhat, joking about casting cowpie. One may not agree with any or all my (or any other's, for that matter) theological and Biblical positions, but I generally cite Scriptures to back them. And I do not take any disagreemnt personally.

And I don't recall any particular response to you, although I may have commented on some thread.

Peace to all, anyhow. I do intend to cast more light than heat, although I am not above making some attempts at humerous quips, about some things. Many things, actually.

Ed

#63 EdSutton, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

ain't it great to be enlightened.................:)

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You Pastor should of ask for help! You were too full of air to stay under............. :)

#65 Brother Bob, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I dunno!

I'm still a-waitin'! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Now that is enlightening! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't know it was dark. Why didn't somebody tell me the lights were out?

Ed, you messing with Bro Bob's switch again?

:laugh:

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You wasn't supposed to have told!! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Check out the Gospels, Ed. John the Baptist preached the gospel of the kingdom (Mk1:14-15) (or "kingdom at hand"). Jesus Himself preached it (Mt 4:17) and sent first 12 (Mt 10:7) then 70 disciples out to preach the kingdom was at hand. It is the OT gospel that points to Messiah, the King, coming and everywhere Jesus was preaching that that day was at hand. The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it, Luk 16:16.

I think what you are trying to point out is that it is never wrong to preach the gospel (???) No, it isn't. But you could be preaching a gospel, as the Jews still do, that is not applicable.

I think you are right. I think preincarnate Christ spoke directly to them when He had something to say.

#70 skypair, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't addressing you, EdSutton. I have found your comments well thought out and scripturally based. I can't think of any, off hand, that I disagreed with. And even if I did, I believe you would very generous and longsuffering with my ignorance. I love to learn and have learned a great deal from various people on this board.

I don't ever recall you comparing yourself to the Apostle Paul, or saying if I disagreed with your interpretation of scripture that God could consider me to be blaspheming Holy Spirit, or repeatedly questioning whether I am saved or not. Those kinds of comments are the "cowpie" which I spoke of above.

I am very sorry you thought I might have addressed them to you.

#71 canadyjd, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I did not actually think you were addressing me, but thought I would 'defend' my own use of a particular quote.

I'm glad you think I am long-suffering and very generous. Now if some others could only also 'receive enough enlightenment' to 'see the light' to 'enable' them to hold this particular positi... :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

13. jne1611

jne1611 Member

You mean that there were one way for some to be saved & another way for others?

14. jne1611

jne1611 Member

I agree. Much of dispensation doctrine makes to much of divisions. Though I agree with some of the assertions of it. There is no way to divide the relation of the covenant to all believers.

15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    :1_grouphug:

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

We all come the same Way but not the same distance at the same time.

In the OT, believers were JUSTIFIED in soul -- given the righteousness of God -- upon trusting in God. (John the Baptist's gospel and baptism was to justification)

In the NT, believers are JUSTIFIED in soul and SANCTIFIED in spirit -- given the righteousness of God AND given the Holy Spirit indwelling (sanctification of the Spirit, Spirit baptism) -- by trusting in Christ. (Jesus Christ's gospel and baptism is to justification and sanctification. You probably never considered that there was a difference, did you?)

So here's how that plays out in salvation. ALL believers will experience this in the flesh BTW. They will be saved in their SOULS/justified by God --- Saved in their SPIRITS/sanctified by the Holy Spirit -- Saved in their BODIES/glorified by Christ at the rapture!

Now the next question usually is, "When will the OT saints be SANCTIFIED?"

Answer: At the "new birth." Like Christ, they will be born again entirely by the Spirit -- only theirs is a resurrection from the dust, Dan 12:2, Isa 26:19-21, Job 19:25-28. They will live in the MK the sanctifying life that WE LIVE NOW! That is, there will still be sin and death BUT they will have flesh and blood bodies of "terrestrial glory" just as we do now. ("Terrestrial glory?" Indwelt by the Holy Spirit, 1Cor 15:40.)

How then will they be glorified if the rapture is past? There are 2 raptures to come 1) pretrib soon and 2) post-MK in Rev 20:11. If you will, imagine what the rapture would look like from the perspective of a "ratpureee" -- "...from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away;..." This is the 3rd rapture spoken of in 1Cor 15:24 -- "Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father;..." Christ delivers up the rest of the saved to heaven. Then God "remodels" the earth so that we all may dwell together there in His kingdom.

skypair

#76 skypair, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  17. skypair

skypair Active Member

Don't you think you oughta first see if there is any such thing named in the Bible??

There AIN'T. It's all discovered by inferences and innuendoes of people who have laid out a theological snare for unwitting "birds," Prov 1:17-18. Stick with the covenants God names and you will see that Israel has yet to receive His promises (Abrahamic, Davidic, new, etc.) in the earth -- but they will. Hence the necessity of 2 "programs"/dispensations at least.

skypair

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I appreciate the simple faith of those who didn't engage in discussion like we are. They just knew God, that he was loving and all-power and took care of the ol' devil.

2. Doing theology is not a requirement for heaven. I thank God for that.

3. And I thank God that I don't have to have a perfect Eschatology either.

19. jne1611

jne1611 Member

See if there is any such what named in the Bible?
    I understand what you are saying. But I do not believe you can separate the OT saints from the everlasting covenant made in Christ from the NT believers. One fold, One Shepard. No division there. Hence why would they need to ever accept Christ? But they will. Because. All by the blood. No division there. And a lot of people that think they have it all figured out might be surprised to find out how far off the mark they are, if they would only consider the Bible apart from all that systematic jumble of men.

#79 jne1611, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check out the Gospels minus the adulterations C.I. Scofield. There is only one body, one Spirit, one Lord, one faith, and one baptism.