1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did Solomon Repent?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Jul 23, 2006.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I Kings 11:6 - "So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the Lord; he did not follow the Lord completely as David his father had done."

I Kings 11:9 "The Lord became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the Lord, the God of Israel who had appeared to him twice."

There is know record in scripture that Solomon ever repented that I know of. It is recorded that David repented a number of times, but no record of Solomon repenting.

We know that Solomon wrote: many of the Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon. We don't know when in his life he wrote each, i.e. before his heart turned away from God or after. Proverbs and Song of Solomon could have been written before, but Ecclesiastes appears to have been written later in his life.

In Ecclesiastes, Solomon indicates many things that appear to be important in life he had found to be really meaningless based on his experience. He also addresses the importance of: standing in Awe of God, wisdom, a remembering God in our youth. However, Solomon does not include the need for repentence in Ecclesiastes. If anyone needed to repent, Solomon did.

As far as I can tell, Solomon did not repent. Did he?

Could someone whose heart had turned away from the Lord have written Ecclesiastes (a book of the Bible)?

What do you think?

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Ecclesiastes 11-12 may indicate repentance on teh part of Solomon. To "remember your Creator ... because he will judge you for all these things" seems to be some sort of repentance. It is hard to tell though.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes. I'm not sure whether he wrote Song of Songs or not...it may be about him or associated with him but not written by him.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Stefan, so which son of David, king in Jerusalem wrote it?

Eccl 1:1 "The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:"

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honestly don't know, but I would assume another king in the Davidic line.

6. PastorSBC1303

The issues that are addressed in Eccl seem to naturally fit Solomon's life, wisdom, and influence. What makes you doubt he wrote it?

7. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Solomon

It has been said that Solomon wrote the Song of Solomon early in life, the Proverbs mid-life and Ecclesiastes late in life, where he came to his wisest decision of all: "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: fear God and keep his commandments. For this is man's all" (12:13).
    Also, I think that it should be noted that God Himself took resonsibility (if that is the right word) for Solomon: "I will be his Father, and he shall be My son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men" (2Samuel 7:14).
    Also, while it is true that God is the Author of the Bible, here you have Solomon that wrote three Books of it. Do we see him then some day cast into the lake of fire?
    I feel as though there is enough evidence that Solomon had a turn around late in life.

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mostly the lack of any repentance in his life recorded in the historical books.

I do not say that it was impossible for Solomon to have written it; I just don't think he did.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That argument can cut both ways. One might look at Solomon's life and think that it was not possible for him to have written those books because of his later idolatry. Can anyone imagine Isaiah setting up an altar to Chemosh?

The problem of repentance is this:

The author of the 1-2 Kings obviously did not mention any repentance--and this silence is deafening, especially when Ecclesiastes doesn't have any clear reference to Solomonic repentance or, for that matter, no unequivocal reference to Solomon himself.

10. PastorSBC1303

You are making a case from silence. While the evidence seems to speak in support of Solomon.

Can you name another of David's sons who was a King that had all of the experiences listed in the book of Eccl?

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a theory with some possible merit that Uzziah was the author of Ecclesiastes.

#11 StefanM, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2006
  12. PastorSBC1303

I do not have any problem accepting Solomon as the author of Eccl. His life fits the issues that are addressed as well as the first verse of the book. I also feel that the last few verses of the book may represent a repentance on his part toward the end of his life. Just because it is not listed in the historical books does not mean it did not happen.