1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

did someone actually expect the terror bees to play dead or go away?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Forever settled in heaven, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forever settled in heaven

as the "War on Terrorism" seeks w the arm of flesh to smite n pulverise the nests of jihad around the world ... the CIA discovers

really. :praying: more at the site: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/w...&ex=1159675200&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

2. Tommy Jefferson

Tommy Jefferson New Member

No no no! The fact they we invade their lands and prop up Israel has NOTHING to do with terrorism.

They hate us because we're so rich, beautiful, and free!:laugh:

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Actually it goes without saying that a "war on terrorism" will make the terrorism situation worse, at least in the near future. Why? Well let me give an example...

Say you see a wasp nest, full of wasps, on your front porch. You go into your supply closet, get the wasp spray, return to the porch and quickly spray the nest. What do you do next? You run. Why? Because when you spray them their first reaction will be to attack you for attacking them. However if you don't spray the nest you soon will not be able to walk on your own front porch. Spraying the wasps results in a short term danger (ie...the wasps may sting you if you don't move fast enough). However the short term danger is much less than the long term danger if you let the nest go with no attention.

Point?

By going after the terrorists it is only natural that we will stir up a nest of hatred. Why? Because we are going after them. They fight back because we are fighting them and they use the war as a means of promotion (etc). So you can expect that by waging a war on terrorism things may get worse before they get better, in fact they could get much worse. However the short term danger, and it is very serious, is far less than the long term danger if nothing is done.

Going into Iraq was a huge mistake, on top of that the war in Iraq has been mishandled from start to the present. We have given the terrorists a reason to justify their jihad. And if we don't win in Iraq the world will be in serious trouble and my example above will be meaningless. If we lose in Iraq then it will be like you walking up to the wasps nest with no spray or protection and poking it with your finger. So we must win in Iraq. We have no other choice. We can't just walk away. If only it were that simple...

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Actually 9/11, the USS Cole, the Embassy Bombing, the first WTC bombing, the Iranian hostage crisis, etc, etc all happened before the current War in Iraq. In fact there were more than a few attacks that happened before Desert Storm. Our support of Israel has little to do with this. Israel is a sovereign state, it has a right to defend its people and land, it has a right to wage war when threatened, and all countries have a right to support or refuse to support that state. Period. We support Israel for a whole host of reasons and, btw, there is no reason for us to stop supporting Israel. One could argue that Israel is the only friend we have in that geographic area. Besides that many of these terrorists groups don't care about the Israeli/Palestinian situation. They only use it to promote their extreme hatred and bring in new members. The same is true for the various anti-US groups around the world. In other words it is just an excuse to hate.

==Actually they hate us because we oppose their idiology. It is the same reason they hate everyone who disagrees with them (Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc). This is not about politics, and in reality it is not about religion. It is about a group of people using terrorism (the willful targeting and murder of innocent people) to achieve their goals.

5. Forever settled in heaven

again, using the wrong tool for the wrong target. why wld one use a baseball bat for a beehive/wasp's nest?

the short-term danger's bound to contribute only to the long-term danger as long as people don't differentiate betw an idealogical enemy and a military one. basically, u can't bomb ur way into the hearts of the rest of the world. u might blow up a few diaper heads, but u ain't gonna win many admirers or allies.

amen--sad but true. the neocons have dug their own :tonofbricks:

6. Forever settled in heaven

then how'bout let's stop giving them that excuse to hate.

ah, i see. so we have a group of diaper heads--unprovoked n blissfully running around blowing themselves up--who get upset only when someone pointed out that what they're doing is unnatural n illegal?

maybe it's good also to let's stop giving ourselves excuses to hate. :love2:

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==We should not abandon our friends and allies just to make our enemies happy. Indeed by doing so our enemies would have won a great victory. There is no reason for the United States to abandon its friendship with Israel.

==Well first I don't think calling people names gets anyone anywhere. Secondly my point is that by going after them we are going to make the situation worse in the short term but better in the long term. However by not going after them the situation will be much worse in the long term. Going after terrorists is not hate nation states must defend their citizens.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==There is no way for the United States or Israel to win the hearts of the Islamic world. So we can give that hope up. What must be done, however, is for both sides to figure out a way to live together peacefully. Before that can happen, however, both sides must fight the terrorists who don't want peace.

9. Forever settled in heaven

o no, not to make enemies happy or to abandon friendships ... it's not to go overboard that i'm concerned abt (speaking as a self-appointed friend of the USA :smilewinkgrin:). why does everything have to be binary? are there no degrees of advocacy? i think seeing the world in black n white was one of the sadder consequences of the neocon response to 9-11. in many ways it signaled the end of reason n evenhandedness.

i know that's what u're saying, but i'm saying, too, think long term.

i believe someone else started using the term "terrorist" for fighters on the other side. diaper heads is a descriptor that's less offensive (n perhaps a little more pictorially descriptive), don't u think? :smilewinkgrin:

hey, there r more than 2 ways to everything, no? is the only way to fix a hornet's nest--either to use a baseball bat or to leave it alone? c'mon, can't we think outta the box? let's create 15 scenarios for a start, how'bout that? :love2:

arrgh, do we havta give up so easily? do we havta reach for those cruise missiles? i think the U.S. can do better than that. (it's hard to speak for Israel after reading Ostrovsky's revelations n the Jon Pollard case, so i'll let it pass. does Israel "want peace"?)

anyways, i've offered up my harebrained ideas abt possible responses to 9-11. so i'll leave it to the imaginations of others here (n in the Bush enclave) to come up w their own. all i'm saying is, try thinking a little outta the little box of binaries.

:thumbs:

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother. It would help the whole world if the moderate Muslims would wipe out the terrorists among themselves.

11. Forever settled in heaven

good! an example of thinking outta the box.

but first, u havta get the Muslim mods on ur side. can't do it thru Zionism. so gotta keep thinkin, but yeah, we have a good start on one (of many) possibilities. u're already way ahead of Wolfowitz n Rummy n Condi n company.

:thumbs:

12. Forever settled in heaven

interestingly (but hardly the surprise of the year), someone else shares this viewpoint--Condi Rice.

[​IMG]

spoken while interviewed by Couric on 60 Minutes

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/21/60minutes/main2029782_page3.shtml

o well, it must be true then :cool:

13. Tommy Jefferson

Tommy Jefferson New Member

Sending American boys and girls to die in these religious wars among the semitic peoples is vile and disgusting.

Running the US TRILLIONS of dollars in debt is the height of stupidity. Catholic popes and the Soviet Union went broke trying the same thing.

Warmongers have no place in heaven.

14. Forever settled in heaven

[​IMG]
    http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=74855

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I agree with you there.

No, not less offensive and not accurate in its pictorially description. Which Moslems wear turbans? Not the Iraqis and not the Palestinians. It may be offensively descriptive of someone, you might consider applying your insult to the particular group it actually describes.

Heck, there are more than 2 ways in the box, but some just pick one and claim, "This or not this". How can anyone be so limited in their thinking? I don't understand.

#15 Daisy, Sep 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2006
  16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

==Fighters on the other side? What version of reality are you living in? People who willfully target and kill innocent civilians, for the purpose of causing terror, are terrorists. Let's call these people what they are. PC has no place in reality.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I said it because it is true. Denying reality changes nothing.

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Fact: Iraq or no Iraq we are at war and have been so for many years. Either we sit back and do nothing or we respond. As I said if we don't respond the long term results will be worse.

Since King David was involved in more wars than George W Bush, do you believe he was a warmonger? Do you believe that he is in heaven?

19. Forever settled in heaven

in some circles, it's called Shock n Awe. :smilewinkgrin:

David, i seem to recall, was a lot more nuanced in his dealings. a global war on terrorism, apparently, wasn't his only option.

#19 Forever settled in heaven, Sep 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2006
  20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The United States Military worked hard to make sure civilians were avoided in that campaign. Sure they understood that civilians would die/get injured, but they worked hard to avoid as many as possible. I know they did. You don't have to like/support Bush but never accuse our military of willfully targeting and killing innocent civilians. Sure there are bad apples who have done bad things, and those are rightfully punished, but the military as a whole and the majority of the soldiers work over-time to avoid civilian deaths/injuries.

Btw, civilians die in all war. But I guess that is another fact of life your side wishes to ignore.

==So? That sounds like an inconsistant excuse to me. Either your side is consistant with its anti-war criticisms or it is not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.