1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Did this skating rink discriminate against a muslim?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well based on the information in the video the answer is no there was no discrimination. The policy was in effect prior to them showing up and it was for all to see and was equal to all, and these women decided to opt out which was in accord with the policy. No discrimination here. While this woman sited religious reasons for the scarf Freedom of religion does not extend itself into the private sector.I found that out several years ago when I tried to pass out tracts at the mall parking lot. I almost got arrested and after I left I checked the law and sure enough, that is their property and they can set the conditions they want.

#2 freeatlast, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
  3. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I'm sick to death of everyone blaming their woes on discrimination. *grumps*

The hijab is a long scarf, and from what I understand could possibly become entangled in a skate or on become hooked on something else fairly easily when the wearer is skating by at a great rate of speed. It could possibly snap someone's neck.

It all comes about because of all the frivolous law suits out there forcing business owners to make these stupid rules in the first place. It's a vicious circle and there's no end to it. Leave it to the media to make an issue of it.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Salty,

I think we should take Usama Bin Laden out for a grand prix go cart trip. All expenses paid. You know, for some good fun and dialogue.

:saint:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I'm glad the media is making an issue of this. Its time Americans wake up and put our foot down on reasonable safety standards. As the manager of the rink said that if she was allowed to skate and was injured, there could be a costly lawsuit. Its time to stop this frivolous lawsuits, esp in the name of religion.

6. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Yes, but... Reasonable accomodation should have been the watch word.

This policy is in place because of the many fights that erupt among the youth who knock hats off of others.

A womans head scarf or a Jewish Scull cap would not be likely to be knocked off. Get stares, yes...

Of course if the policy was against Young Men in ball caps they'd be profiling and politically incorrect. Though that is the group responsible for the policy.

Sad state of affairs.. We allow young men in saggy pants that can cause injuries on the skate floor... And, women (not ladies) in revealing attire.. But, a woman's head scarf is refused....

I guess Mennoites and Charismatics can't go there either, Should they want to...

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you look at the second link in the OP?

8. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

No, missed the second link.

But, this wasn't about a Burqa...

And, in the interview it appeared she was wearing slacks?

But, your point is well taken about appropriate clothing for the task at hand

Apparently some part of the garment got caught on the axle. The head scarf that is part of a burqa is much longer than the head scarf in the interview. Almost to the waist if I remember correctly. And, sitting close to the ground would place the ends of the scarf much closer to the wheels than standing up on skates.