1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Difference Between a Heretic and just a Bad Teacher

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Bro Tony, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No pastor J, Catholics are not "heretics". They teach false doctrine but are orthodox. United Pentecostals are heretics because they teach "Jesus only" and not the Trinity.

There IS a clear distinction.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

heresy:
    1 a : adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma
    --Marriam Webster on-line

I have many examples of heresy. If you come down to the Christian Demoninations Forum (Other Religions),
    you will find plenty of them. There are some threads that two or three posters have devoted to allegorizing Scripture. Starting with a portion of Scripture they see where it goes and ends up (usually in heresy).

Allegorization leads to gnosticism which in turn leads to heresy.

Some of the heresies being promoted:
    --a put down of the local church.
    --pastors and teachers are totally unnecessary.
    --their teachings are all polluted and defiled.
    --a denial of the eternal damnation of the wicked
    --universalism
    --denial of the trinity
    --both saved and unsaved will all be saved.
    --No need of teachers for the Holy Spirit will teach you ALL things.
    --man teaches free-will and has stripped God of his sovereignty.
    --The Spirit speaks to us directly just as it did to Paul.

And so many more.
    If you want to join in combatting some of these heresies be my guest.
    In one of the threads (that has died down some)
    churches were compared doves dung,
    pastors and teachers were compared to asses heads,
    and if you taught your children such orthodox cfhildren you were burning them as pagan babies.
    DHK

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been called a number of forms of "dung" in my life, but never "dove's dung".

God bless your ministry to "heretics", brother. I tried down there, but ended up with BAPTIST heretics on the Bible Version Forum instead . . .

4. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Dr. Bob,

Having grown up Catholic and still having many family members entrenched in the heresy of Catholicism, you are absolutely wrong on this one. Their teaching is contrary to God's Word, thus they are heretics. God says to mark them and make it known.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor J, think we agree on the EVIL and FALSE DOCTRINE, but must try to use the correct word.

Roman Catholics teach salvation by grace through the blood of Christ. That is orthodox Christian belief.

Now what they teach about HOW that salvation comes to man, HOW the sacrifice of the mass is given, WHAT grace is, etc etc is where the false and damning doctrine comes in.

But that is not "heresy". Denying Jesus is the Son of God is heresy.

So just trying to keep semantics straight. But certainly agree with you that "their teaching is contrary to God's Word" and "mark them and make it known".

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having grown up Catholic I know you are wrong and right. All you have named is something that is common among almost all denominations. Not all Catholic Churches are alike just like not all Baptist Churches are alike. Some promote a works based salavtion along with Jesus. Others actually preach the right stuff. Ever hear of a Catholic Church giving an invitation and leading people in Bible studies? I have. My mother is a believer and still attends the Catholic Church. She has gone to workshops in the Catholic Church on learning to share their faith in Christ. She goes to Bible Study each week. We have discussed what she is learning and most of it is quite good. Just like in any church, some are saved and some are not. When I was in high school the only person who was very vocal about Christ was a Catholic girl in my class. The others sat still while the others watched.

Nowadays you simply cannot make such a blanket statement. I have seen heretical Baptist Churches and orthodox Baptist churhes. There are no sacred cows anymore.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I never heard that when I was in the Catholic Church. I do know they teach baptismal regeneration, and I consider that heresy.
    DHK

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reality Check--

I was one too-- born under the perview of the "holy see" that is--which is totally blind and unsanctified.

This "religous system" is the oldest and probably the largest cult in the world. It was started by a Roman Emperor--Constantine "the great one". Compare this system to the LDS.

Catholicism has been ascribed the title "mother of harlots" by those who know the difference. Her "papa" has been considered "the antichrist" by many as well.

Any resemblance she may have to being the pillar and ground of the truth is purely Satanic camouflage. Satan knows the scripture--better than most of those "orthodox". "It is no wonder, Satan himself is become an angel of light."

Selah,

Bro. James