1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Difficulties with disagreements.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 37818, Jun 20, 2023.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dealling with difficultes in disagreements, for me, is an on going study. Most no one likes having it pointed out being wrong. Honest acknowledgable mistakes aside.

Unknown presuppositions, either one's own or held by the other person can be a cause of a disagreement.

Typically both sides will believe the same Scriptures, but understand something differently.

More than one view can be wrong. Only one can actually be a correct view. Of course none of us sets out to believe a wrong view.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you are certain posters who have been on here lately, who are never wrong. The rest of us have defective theology or even "heretical beliefs."

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't uncommon for groups of scholars who have widely divergent opinions to come together for a public debate about a divisive topic.
    The real good discussions are those where the scholars are able to present their opinions without demeaning the ones that disagree with them.

Fortunately God will not exclude us from his kingdom for (most) heretical beliefs.
    Jesus asks us simply to believe in him.

Rob

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we do disagree, discussion is what we should want. Not shutting the other party down because one thinks that view is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Presuppositions. We all have them. Our presuppositions before we change our view and after we change our view on an issure.

Truth is absolute.
    The law of non-contreadiction.
    Conclusions drawn from inductive reasoning are not always true.
    How we know comes before what we know.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the importance of boards like this (where different positions are held) is that they provide an opportunity to examine our own beliefs in light of others challenging our view.

I like when my view is challenged. Sometimes it makes me aware of an error in my view. Other times it solidifies my position because it drives me back to Scripture to consider the validity of the criticism and my belief.

We should welcome challenged to our belief as a time to revisit our views in light of God's Word.

At the same time beliefs are emotional things because they are personal. Years ago I was proven wrong about a key position I held. It was devastating - partly because it was a popular view in my church, partly because I had taught it. But mostly because I felt unanchored in that area of theology. It meant everything based on that belief was in question. And not only would I have to abandon the error but I would also have to work hard to understand what was obscured by that view. It was not without its own kind of pain.

But that part was on me. In these boards all we can do is present and debate what we believe to be true and leave working out ones salvation to each individual.

The nature of Scripture (as God's Word) is a presupposition we should all have and expect of others (otherwise that person would not be a member of this forum). So it is granted at the start of any thread that all members believe the Bible. To challenge ones belief in God's Word is not far from questioning their salvation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 3 is one example I've run into.

Some interpret married to one woman as prohibiting polygamy while others include divorce.

This has caused debate and sometimes hard feelings, but it is based off of the exact same Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember one time in church where an old member Brother Willy would always corner our preacher with questions he had... You either agree or disagree, with Brother Willy... One I will never forget as I was close by was the Adam and Eve belly button question... Brother Willy said: Pastor do you think Adam and Eve had a belly button?... I thought to myself now how is the pastor going to handle this?... The pastor turned the tables on Brother Willy and said: Well Brother Willy let me ask you one?... Do you have a belly button?... Willy said well the last time I looked I did... Then the pastor said to Brother Willy... Then I guess Adam and Eve did too!... After that Brother Willy never cornered the pastor again... Brother Glen:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just read 1 Timothy today and added it to the list of deeper study.

• Like Like x 2