1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dinosaurs on the Ark

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 11, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Teenage dinosaurs -- quite unruly. :D

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not promoting nor defending a young-earther view in my first post. I have never considered myself a YEC. I was only explaining how I interpret what I read in Genesis and in Job.

I do believe that there is evidence in the Bible that dinosaurs co-habitated with humans.

Does that belief affect eternity? No. Is a hill worth dying on? No.

I am extremely open minded when it comes to issues such as this, as I have changed mind before, and I would listen to anything that anyone wanted to present in terms of evidence that dinosaurs became extinct before humans were created or before the Flood.

I spent MANY, MANY years as an "old-earther". I staunchly defended it. I am not much concerned about the timeline anymore, but I am convinced in my own mind via the scriptures that I cited that it's a great possibility that dinosaurs were indeed on the ark.

And yes, I know that Barry Setterfield and his brilliant wife, Helen, aren't infallible. His writings and teachings on the variability vs. constancy of the speed of light and c-decay just don't set well with me. If his teachings are accurate, then what do we do with Einstein and his theory of relativity?

But his and Helen's essay on Job being post-Flood had meat to it - in my humble opinion.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I doubt that dinosaurs were on the ark.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Why would you doubt that when we have historical records of them being around after the flood?

5. OldRegular

What historical records?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

And I am of the belief that the dinosaurs were destroyed by the flood, but it's not a hill worth dying on. I am thankful that they're not here NOW!!!!. Especially the T-Rex!! :laugh:

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Isn't it plausible that Job took place pre-flood? Seeing that it is supposed to be the oldest of the OT books, this could have been a written account pre-flood. Again, not a hill worth dying on, but I do not think the link provided supports, or refutes, either belief of dinosaurs being on the ark or being destroyed by the flood.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No it is not plausible based on Job 22:15-17. These people clearly knew about the flood having already happened. Job was after the flood based on those passages..

#49 freeatlast, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  10. OldRegular

The remarks by Job about leviathan were probably based on tradition handed down from Noah just as were some other flood stories! But this is not something I deeply care about.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yea Right! Hard to admit when you are wrong isn't it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Furthermore, it's not worth getting in a "tizzy" about it either. This doesn't further the preaching of the Gospel one iota. But we baptists will debate the "non-essentials" as hard, if not harder, than the essentials. That's why associations, and churches split SOOOOOO much.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

This is not about the gospel. This is a discussion about the ark so it is proper. There were dinos after the flood based on both history and the bible account.

14. OldRegular

No I am not admitting I am wrong. I said earlier that I did not believe dinosaurs were on the Ark. I still believe that!:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mere opinion, hence begging the question.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wasn't Einstein's theory questioned a few months back with the discovery that light is not the fastest?

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets talk about credibility. "Settlerfield" could run credibility rings around you, pj. He has clearly done his homework - and built upon a Christian foundation.

I am pretty convinced that you know next to nothing about him, seeing that you can't even get his name right. I doubt that you have read him. His work, along with ones like Russell Humphreys's "Starlight and Time", are very helpful and informative.

I like especially this quote from Setterfield:

"It is never good science to ignore anomalous data or to eliminate a conclusion because of some presupposition. Sir Henry Dale, one-time President of the Royal Society of London, made an important comment in his retirement speech: "Science should not tolerate any lapse of precision, or neglect any anomaly, but give Nature's answers to the world humbly and with courage." To do so may not place one in the mainstream of modern science, but at least we will be searching for truth and moving ahead rather than maintaining the scientific status quo."

Why don't you do a little researching, pj, before you shoot from the lip and embarrass yourself?

19. OldRegular

There was an early indication from experiments conducted with the super collider [France and Switzerland] that a particle had exceeded the speed of light. I read something just recently that the data were faulty.

In regard to the comments regarding Setterfield above. I believe he is trying to solve the apparent problem of travel of light from distant stars by considering that the speed of light during the first week was higher than current. Another astro-physicist, Russell Humphrey is looking at the same problem considering the General Theory of Relativity and time dilation. I have read a book by Humphrey called Starlight and Time. I could follow the text okay but the mathematics was far beyond me.

I don't know whether either of these men will come up with something that is valid but they are causing other astro-physicists to become involved if only to prove these two men wrong. Another astro-physicist named Lisle is currently at the Institute for Creation Research. Will be interesting to see what comes of that.

I think both of these men are admirable for their efforts in the field of Creation Science. I am sure many remember the very lucid posts that Setterfield's wife, Helen, has posted on this Forum. Both she and her husband are to be admired!

Finally I will say that regardless of what these fine Christians come up with regarding Creation Science I believe that God created all that exists out of nothing in six 24 hour days, that He sustains His Creation, that He will bring all His chosen ones to salvation, and then comes the END!

20. OldRegular

:thumbs::thumbs::applause::applause: