1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion with regards to Church history

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I've cited the CCC, the Council of Trent, Karl Keating, the Catholic Encyclopedia, and a Catholic priest speaking in a Catholic church and quoted on a Catholic message board.

But I guess, according to you, none of these people know what the Catholic Church teaches as well as you do. Maybe you'll be the next pope. You've certainly got the arrogance for it.

2. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gee, there's a shock.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I suggest you read them again and pay attention to what they are saying. I've quoted directly from their magisterium so there you have it.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And where in the bible does it say I have to believe in the rapture? And where is the word rapture in the bible? And what makes you think your eschatology is better than mine? Talk about arrogance!

5. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW! I can just see the arrogance and ego rising off of you like waves off a blacktop highway on a hot day.

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't. There are a lot of things the Bible teaches that you don't have to believe in. But if you're going to claim to be a Christian, then why wouldn't you believe what the Bible teaches?

Ah, so then, by that logic, you must not believe in the Trinity, either.

Funny, I don't see the word "Purgatory" anywhere in the Bible and yet, there you are, defending the Catholic heresy of Purgatory.

Because you've gone on record defending heresy.

7. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

funny and sad at the same time, but true story...my mom and dad rented a condo down in alabama a few years back. my dad woke up one morning before my mother and left the condo to go shopping for new shoes...my mother woke up and seeing that my dad wasn't there and no note, she panicked and called me on the phone...she actually thought the "rapture" had taken place and she was left behind...

In XC
    -

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You're being silly. What heresy have I defended? BTW that's a poor response to the questions I asked you. Do you not know?

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW I do believe what the bible teaches and it doesn't teach the rapture but a single return of christ. amen. And I didn't defend purgatory I cleared up what was believed about purgatory exceptional difference. However, since you like self defining things You probably won't let that go either. I can show you many incidents of saying I don't believe in purgatory and why. So again you are wrong.

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you've forgotten about your posts in the Purgatory thread already, maybe you should see a doctor.

Actually, I answered all three of your questions. Did I use too many grown up words for you?

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I won't go tit for tat with you. I was explaining what was actually believed about purgatory. Didn't you read my statements where I said I didn't believe in it and why? See what you do with the Catholics you are doing with me. Shame.

12. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

With the goofy Rapture theology, the only thing that's "left behind" is the Bible. Jesus is only coming back once and there will be a general resurrection and judgment. The Rapture wasn't even really invented until John Nelson Darby came along in the 19th century.

13. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And Darby only got it from the 'visions' of a poor mad Scottish girl, Margaret MacDonald. Oh, and the Irvingites, who were a bit nutty also. Not a great recommendation for the 'doctrine'.

14. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Yep! :thumbs:

15. billwald

billwald New Member

>Which Ecumenical Councils, out of interest, do people here subscribe to?

The Christian Reformed Church officially recognizes the Apostle's Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed as representing historic Christianity.

The nice thing about creeds is that the every local church doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. I have read many statements of faith that would not meet the test of time. "We only believe the Bible' and "We don't believe in creeds" are creedal statements.

16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So then, the CCC, the Council of Trent, the Catholic Encyclopedia, Karl Keating, and the Catholic priest I quoted all had it wrong, but you're the one to turn to to learn what Catholicism teaches?

Let me ask you this: if I want to know what the SBC's up to, should I read the BF&M or ask you? Which one do you think is a better authority?

Why is it a "shame" to quote the Catholic Church's statements of belief?

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Try this so you can get it right. Take what I've said to each of the sources you mentioned ask them if what you believe they said to be correct or what I said to be correct and then you can get back with me on it. How about this Ask Lori4dogs if what I said with regard to the magisterium is correct or is it not correct and how it compares with your analysis and see what she says. Trent is clarified in the CCC. I've quoted the CCC which is clear defines what Trent was speaking about. I've read Keating as well I doubt he would agree with you. And note you can ask two different priest the same question and get two different answers however I challenge you to speak with this priest you mention and have him look at my post and see what he says. That way you can be sure of the conclusion.
    As far as the Southern Baptist Convention goes they pretty explicitly explain in common language what they believe in their Baptist faith and Message points. However, there is diversity over other things between the different churches. However, I think there are enough SBC members here that out qualify me on the Convention. And its a shame that your claiming something about what I've done or said that isn't true. Not quoting the CCC. But I noticed you didn't quote the passages I did for the very reason that you do not want to countenance the fact that they do not believe what you claim they do even though their writing suggest it. BTW you might not know this but many Catholics feel that the Vatican II supersedes the Council of Trent.

#37 Thinkingstuff, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't about what I say they believe. It's about what the Catholic sources I quoted verbatem say they believe.

First of all, it has nothing to do with "my analysis". I quoted not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE Catholic authorities ALL stating that PURGATORY IS FOR SINNERS TO EXPIATE THEIR OWN SINS.

Actually, I quoted Keating's own words. You really don't think Keating would agree with himself?

Actually, I didn't merely "mention" him. I quoted the text of his homily, in which he explains that the purpose of Purgatory is for sinners to expiate their own sins.

Are you saying that the Catholic website that posted the text of his homily cannot be trusted?

That wasn't my question. Again: who is more qualified to speak on the beliefs of the SBC: the BF&M or you?

Not one of the five sources I listed makes this distinction.

OK. So why doesn't that apply to the Catholic Church? Why do you feel that you're more qualified to declare what the Catholic Church teaches than the Catholic church, but not the SBC?

#38 JohnDeereFan, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You still fail to mention to expiate their sins is speaking about the second consequence of sin as I've shown you from their sources. BTW you didn't show your source on Keating you only keep quoting trent and the CCC where it leaves off this specific detail.

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Convention is more qualified to speak about what it holds to believe. But that wasn't the debate as well. We are talking About the Catholic Church we both have quoted their sources My contention is you purposely ignore one aspect of what they are saying. period.