1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussions about Christmas traditions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it wrong to have a Christmas Tree in your home
    How about having one in your church budding -
    How about having one in the sanctuary?

What is a good rule of thumb about how much you spend for Christmas presents

Would you lets your kids/grand kids go up and sit on Santa lap?

Should a church set aside is Sun morning worship for a Christmas play, ect?

Should a church cancel church service this year since it is on a Sunday?
    How about just canceling Sunday School

How much outdoor decoration is too much at your home
    Should a church put up outdoor decorations

Thoughts about your church having an outdoor nativity scene

Anything else?

Answer one or answer more....

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it wrong to have a Christmas Tree in your home

No, it is not wrong.

How about having one in your church budding -

No, it is not wrong.

How about having one in the sanctuary?

No, it is not wrong.

What is a good rule of thumb about how much you spend for Christmas presents

Depends on fonancial resources and need.

Would you lets your kids/grand kids go up and sit on Santa lap?

A santa in a mall? Yes.
    A santa in the back of a panel van? No.

Should a church set aside is Sun morning worship for a Christmas play, ect?

Not a "should", but nothing wrong with it.

Should a church cancel church service this year since it is on a Sunday?

Up to the congregation. Nothing says churches must meet every Sunday. But I prefer to attend church on Christmas Sunday (can't this time...have to work).

How about just canceling Sunday School

That's fine. Up to the church.

How much outdoor decoration is too much at your home

Anything I have to do outside it too much (now that my son is older).

Should a church put up outdoor decorations

Up to the church. It does look nice when they do.

Thoughts about your church having an outdoor nativity scene

That'd be great. I love outdoor nativity scenes (the living ones are great too).

3. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All dead works of catholicism

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, good Ole St Nicholas died before the Catholic Church was born. So at least we have Santa :Biggrin

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if he was born in 270 AD - that would be about 235 years after the Resurrection of Christ.
    Comparatively - that would be like the year 1787 -
    Saint Nicholas - Wikipedia

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about a rebuttal Jon according to scripture... Brother Glen:)

Jeremiah 10: 1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

Jesus is the reason for the season, not a Christmas Tree!

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to go beyond legalism to the reason they did those things.

For example, the pagans called the 4th day of the week Wednesday (derived from Wōdnesdæg, dedicated to the god Odin).

Should Christians dedicate a day of the week to Odin?

Or is this what we are doing by calling the day "Wednesday"? I mean, that is the meaning of the word.....but does that meaning carry forward?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. unprofitable

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgot to use quote function again.

Bro Jon,

Wasn't it the catholics who declared him one of their "saints", according to their traditions.

The point I want to make is that you cannot take something that has no foundation in scripture and then try to attach it to Christ in some way and make it scriptural. That is the common modus operandi in the attempt of catholics to "convert" pagans to them.

If we are truly searching for the truth in Christ (Jn 17:3) then how do we justify by adding to or taking way such extra-scriptural events. Please reconsider what you consider legalism when we are commanded not to add to or take away. How do we get past it?

Television is now particularly full of christmas ads that are anything but "christian". Their love of the dollar is the god they bow down to. How do we justify and participate in that manner "christmas spirit"?

How many people celebrate christmas thinking they are doing something approved of God, yet would never darken the doors of the church?

If we are reasoning past legalism, why not use Popeye instead of santa claus? Unless one is holding to tradition and trying to place a scriptural value on the occasion, that should not offend anyone who says they know the "true meaning" of christmas.
    Well, I guess that would not work because Popeye has not been made a saint, yet.

Bro 37818,

I respect your commitment to the Baptist principles given to the Apostolic brethren during the ministry of Christ. Since we know that those oracles or original teaching were not to be altered, how can we then say elements (trees and decorum of christmas) that were added, according to your post, in the 1500's, are ok to add to the original teachings of Christ? Do we not desert our claim to holding to the original teachings given the brethren during Christ's ministry?

10. Michael Hollner

Michael Hollner Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Should a church cancel church service this year since it is on a Sunday?
    How about just canceling Sunday School'

A lot of churches will still have Sunday services and celebrate Christmas afterwards. Let us not forget that many Christmas songs glorify God and Jesus Christ. There is a lot of evil in this world currently and celebrating Christ's birth once a year (and every day) is pleasing to Him in my opinion.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. My last "rebuttal" wasn't intended for your post.

Problem is, now, I can't remember who I intended to address (something to do with a Christmas tree).

Your rebuttal is fairly easy. Jeremiah is not (obviously) talking about people cutting down trees and decorating them (I think you know this).

It is talking about pagan idolatry (worshipping idols).

A stronger case can be made for not having pictures in one's home. Yet how many Christians have pictures of their family?

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure I understand what you are asking by this question. I nevertheless see no harm using decorations to remember Christ's birth. None of it is commanded nor is this forbidden.
    How would we, regarding what is not commanded, not forbidden, nor explicitly contrary to the word of God?

13. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Historically Baptists did not participate in Xmas until the 1800s is my understanding

it was considered too Catholicy

14. unprofitable

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry for the late reply. We know that many of the elements of Christmas are not according to scripture or have their origin in pagan observances. I am sure you are aware of them but just to name a few, the yule log, the wise men and shepherds both being at the manger at the same time, etc.

Many Baptists rightly believe that the form of the true church that we must follow was formed or created by Christ during his ministry. Mt 16:18 If we dig deep to find the form of the house (Eze 43:11) that we might build according to the pattern, why would we be lackadaisical about adding to its doctrines? Why would we teach our children that both the wise men and shepherds we at the manger in the christmas plays? Why would we mislead them by presenting a christmas tree of pagan origin as if it were part of the story of Christ? Why would we present santa claus as if he were the side kick of Christ? When I was a child, I actually believed that santa was Christ's brother. Do you think this is OK, should be forbidden, or just overlooked so out friends and neighbors won't get mad at us for not observing such a day?

Christ said in John 15:15"...ALL things I have heard of my Father, I HAVE made known unto you (the church). Therefore there is nothing else that needs to be added or taken away from scripture. We see in Ephesians 3:10 "...that it might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God." This is an unfathomable blessing bestowed upon the sons of God. 3 John 1:18 says, "...that we might be fellow helpers to the truth." Where is the truth in christmas since it was not a recorded teaching declared to the church? Was something forgotten or left out? God forbid.

We know our saviour was born, but it appears the best articles I have read tie his birth the feast of tabernacles, which would have been around September or October.

Christ told us he taught us EVERYTHING that we needed to know. He would not have taught us about baptism, the Lord's supper and the kingdom of God and then forgot and left out christmas. I believe there is much forbidden or contrary to the word of God in christmas.

• Friendly Friendly x 1