1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dispensation of Heresy documentary.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mikey, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Tribulation still future, so cannot be ruling then yet!

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peace to you

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus stands at the right hand of the Father n heaven. Is He ruling?

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is in his High Priest mode now, will be King at His Second Coming!

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Jesus isn’t King right now?

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is permiting/allowing for many things will not have going on once he is set up as the King !

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said in Matt 28 that all authority had been given to Him in Heaven and on earth. Doesn’t that indicate He is reigning as King right now? Who else could have all authority but the King?

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry to disrupt your tweets with scripture,but sometimes it helps.

Mode???
    Will He cease to be out eternal High Priest???Heb7:17,24
    1 cor15:24-25He reigns in the midst of His enemies psalm110

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Peter spoke of it in Acts2:29-36.
    He identifies it as the time of the resurrection vs31-34
    Quoting psalm110 which is mentioned 6 times in the nt.
    Jesus reigns in the midst of His enemies.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wrong

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus is The Eternal Prophet, Priest, King.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our eternity will be on the new earth. Jesus will rulefor 1000 years from Davids throne. Interpreting some prophecies literally but others allegorically is inconsistent, very odd, and not in line with scripture.

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Kings 2:45, ". . . the throne of David shall be established before the LORD for ever."

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am perfectly willing to say that it was exactly 1000 men. However, the number was probably rounded off, since this is what is done often in the Bible, though there are exact numbers, too. My point is, rounding off is not the same as symbolic. When 1000 men are mentioned in this passage, it is not a metaphor, simile, idiom, hyperbole, or any other figure of speech.

This was from a song the women sang, so it is poetry. That's a very different ball game. In Hebrew poetry the main tool is parallelism, so this is parallel statements about David and Saul, and must be interpreted that way.

For previous discussions of this on the BB, I have looked at every single usage of the word "1000" in the Bible. As I said above, they are often approximations or rounding off. Those are hardly figures of speech.

As for other times, the one most mentioned by those who do not believe in a 1000 year reign of Christ is 2 Peter 3:8, "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." But think about it. The 1000 in this statement must be literal or the comparison loses all meaning. Unless the 1000 years and the one day are literal, what is the point of the statement? It is meaningless.
    Well, right now I'm giving a Greek test. Alas, they have to do the whole test from memory, but I do give them a bonus translation sentence worth 12 whole points! So I am to be a merciful teacher. :)

#74 John of Japan, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which doesnt negate anything I have said

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation does not say Jesus will rule for a thousand years. It says those who were killed during the tribulation will rule with Jesus for a thousand years. The context is the reward for obedient suffering and death.

Jesus rules for all eternity.

All interpretation must be determined by context among other things. Apocalyptic prophecy is consistently symbolic.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look what noted Baptist pastor Benjamin Keach was sentenced to the pillory for, in England in the 1600s:

From the trial record

Clerk reads [from Keach's published work]. "Question: How then shall it go with the saints? Answer: Oh very well! it is the Day that they have long'd for: then they shall hear that Sentence, Come ye blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you: And so shall they reign with Christ on the Earth a thousand Years"

Judge: "This is contrary to the Creed in the Book of Common-Prayer, and is an old Heresy, which was cast out of the Church a thousand Years ago"

Clerk: "Also in another place thou hast wickedly and maliciously composed A Short Confession of Faith, in which thou hast affirmed thus, concerning the second Person in the Blessed Trinity, in these plain English words: "I also believe that he rose again the third Day from the Dead, and ascended into Heaven, and there now sitteth at the right hand of God the Father; and from thence he shall come again at the appointed time of the Father, to reign personally upon the Earth, and to be the Judge of the Quick and the Dead."

Judge: This is contrary to our Creed: for whereas he saith, "From thence He shall come again at the appointed time of the Father, to reign personally upon the Earth, and to be Judge both of the Quick and the Dead," our Creed only saith, "From thence he shall come to judge both the Quick and the Dead."

Judge: "Benjamin Keach, you are here convicted of writing and publishing a seditious and scandalous Book, for which the Court's Judgment is this, and the Court doth award, That you shall go to Gaol for a Fortnight, without Bail or Manprise; and the next Saturday to stand upon the Pillory at Ailsbury for the space of two Hours, from Eleven of the clock to One, with a Paper upon your head with this Inscription, "For writing, printing, and publishing a schismatical Book, intitled, The Child's Instructor, or a New and Early Primmer." And the next Thursday to stand in the same manner, and for the same time, in the Market of Winslow; and there your Book shall be openly burnt before your Face by the common Hangman, in disgrace of you and your Doctrine. And you shall forfeit to the King's Majesty the sum of 20 l. and shall remain in Gaol until you find sureties for your good Behavior and Appearance at the next Assizes, there to renounce your Doctrine, and make such publick submission as shall be injoined you. Take him away, Keeper."

Keach: "I shall never renounce those truths which I have written in that book."

---A Complete Collection of State-Trials, and Proceedings upon High-Treason, and other Crimes and Misdemeanors; From the Reign of King Richard II. to the Reign of King George II.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, sermon "The Necessity of Increased Faith":

"A certain somebody drew up five or six doctrines, and said, 'There are the doctrines of the Bible,' and ye believe these....Calvin is made the standard and what business has any man to think a single thought beyond Calvin? Blessed be God, we have gone a little beyond that; and we can say, 'Increase our faith.' With all our admiration for these great standard divines, we are not prepared to shut ourselves up in their little iron cages; but we say, 'Open the door, and let me fly—let me still feel that I am at liberty. Increase my faith, and help me to believe a little more.' I know I can say I have had an increase of faith in one or two respects within the last few months. I could not, for a long time, see anything like the Millenium in the Scriptures; I could not much rejoice in the Second Coming of Christ, though I did believe it; but gradually my faith began to open to that subject, and I find it now a part of my meat and drink, to be looking for, as well as hastening unto, the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

and from the last Confession of faith signed by Spurgeon, circa 1890:

"We, the undersigned...hold and maintain the truths generally known as 'the doctrines of grace.' The Electing Love of God the Father, the Propitiatory and Substitutionary Sacrifice of his Son, Jesus Christ, Regeneration by the Holy Ghost, the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness, the Justification of the sinner (once for all) by faith, his walk in newness of life and growth in grace by the active indwelling of the Holy Ghost, and the Priestly Intercession of our Lord Jesus, as also the hopeless perdition of all who reject the Savior, according to the words of the Lord in Matt 25:46, "These shall go away into eternal punishment,"—are, in our judgment, revealed and fundamental truths. Our hope is the Personal Pre-millennial Return of the Lord Jesus in glory."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but not ruling directly on Earth yet!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be other religions practiced, and still wars and famines and crimes then when Jesus reigns directly? Do now see that during the Messianic Age!