1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dispensational Understanding of the New Covenant... 3 views

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by thomas15, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as that can be taken to the extreme of becoming a heresy, as in Rome!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church is right under the NC, as how can any be saved who are not a part of it now?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he calls himself a "Leaky One"

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this where we stand?

1. the church has no legal relationship to or participation in the new covenant. The Traditional Dispensational view.
    2. the church has an indirect relationship to the NC The Progressive Dispensational view, the church is grafted in.
    3. the church has a direct relationship to the NC The Covenant Theology view, replacement theology.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church is spiritual israel, but nation Israel still has a future when Jesus returns!

7. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing is, God doesn't function under dispensations. The concept is entirely man-made.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Co 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
    Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; [even] in him:
    Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
    Col 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yawn...
    The english translation there has absolutely nothing to do with how dispensationalism butchers the Bible into false chunks.
    For instance, dispensationalism came up with the whole pretrib, post-trib, mid-trib rapture fairy tale. Dispensationalism attempts to say that God saved Old Testament person's because they obeyed the law, since God somehow did not save by grace at that time.
    The whole man-made system is a forced method of viewing the eternal God.
    With that being said, I believe a large majority of dispensationalists are saved. They are just poorly taught regarding the wholeness of God's work.
    But, thanks for sharing four verses where translators used the word dispensation in the Bible. Perhaps you feel that makes the man-made theory sound. I don't. I recognize God's continual work of grace from beginning to end through his covenants.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ryrie points out, and I reiterate, that the word "dispensation" in these verses (οἰκονομία) is used exactly as dispensationalism uses it--a stewardship. Also, the other three usages of the word are actually translated "stewardship" in Luke 16. Thus, the use of "dispensation" in dispensationalism is used exactly like the use of it in the Bible--a stewardship from God.

Concerning the oft repeated claim that you give, "Dispensationalism attempts to say that God saved Old Testament person's (sic) because they obeyed the law, since God somehow did not save by grace at that time," That is a false charge. I challenge you to come up with a quote from a dispensationalist on that. Furthermore, I teach the subject in college and seminary, and do not believe that salvation was ever through the law. So even if you can come up with a quote, it wouldn't apply to me, my students, our textbook (Ryrie), etc.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which of the three views do you hold?
    1. the church has no legal relationship to or participation in the new covenant. The Traditional Dispensational view.
    2. the church has an indirect relationship to the NC The Progressive Dispensational view, the church is grafted in.
    3. the church has a direct relationship to the NC The Covenant Theology view, replacement theology.

12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. The man-made theory of dispensationalism is all about stewardship...:Whistling
    You're attempting to force the Bible into your pretext.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, there are many non-dispensationalists who are premil. That doctrine does not come from dispensationalism so much as from a simple literal reading of Scripture. So all of the early church fathers were premil. The term for this is historic premil. My grandfather's position was non-dispensational. He came to the historic premil position through personal Bible study. Lee Roberson also did so.

#53 John of Japan, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are welcome to your opinions--but that is all these statements are.

The theology is actually "all about stewardship." If you do not understand that, you do not understand dispensationalism at all. I require my students to learn this definition from our textbook: "A dispensation is a distinguishable economy in the outworking of God's purpose" (Charles Ryrie, Dispensationalism, p 33). In dispensationalism, God gives a stewardship, a responsibility, to Mankind in each dispensation. My students are required to learn what that stewardship is for every dispensation.

You say you know Chafer's Systematic Theology. I suggest you go back to Vol. 1, where he discusses dispensations.

#54 John of Japan, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Modified point 3, as Church is spiritual israel now, but national israel still has a future when jesus returns!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold to Covenant Premil myself , as did Spurgeon and even some Presbie Reformed held!

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual, another non-answer. Y1 has chosen #3, and then adopted #2. Which is it? Nobody knows.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why stated Modified, as agree that God has not finished with the jews now!

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why not pick #2? Could it be you have no idea what you are posting about?

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold the view that saved Israel is part of the church, but not the whole church, aka the one body of Christ is not the spiritual Israel nonsense.
    Galatians 6:16, ". . . And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God."
    Also Revelation 21:12-14,". . . the twelve tribes of the children of Israel . . . the twelve apostles . . . ."