1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disrespect to baby Jesus?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe that guy needs to be asked: If a thug used his fists to assault your wife, mother, kids, or anyone else close to you-- unquestionably "disrespect," and worse than that-- does that prove that you worship them?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has a photo?

HankD

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You know, some people can't handle the freedom Christ bought us. This is just an example of an excuse not to celebrate _______ wrapped up in a little right sounding, out of context scripture, and tied with the bow of "if the RC did it we shouldn't".

Christ freed us from the Law and if we are worshipping Him, then we aren't out there worshipping the facade we call "baby Jesus".

How do you respond to his declaring no man has seen God, by telling him God sent us Christ and man most certainly did see Him! Can we know exactly what baby Jesus looked like? Why would it matter? Nativity scenes are meant to represent the EVENT rather than the person.

If he doesn't want to celebrate Christmas, he doesn't have to. "one man celebrates one day, another doesn't, let each be convinced according to his own mind." (Cindi's paraphase of Romans 14:5)

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

We don't have any crucifixes but if you came on to our property and damaged something, we would expect you to replace it. If you did not, we would sigh a criminal complaint against you and have you prosecuted.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Would you be disobeying the bible. 1Cor 6:1-8?

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several centuries ago this man's sentiments would be commonplace. Mobs of Reformed iconoclasts would descend upon churches, smashing stained windows, smearing excrement, etc. Or they would deface (literally) figures they found to be "idolatrous".

Photo from a church in Utrecht, Netherlands:

http://www.smba.nl/en/exhibitions/defacing/

Photo of what they did to Baby Jesus in Geneva

#26 Jerome, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
  7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

No we would not be disobeying the Bible. The passage of which you speak goes to civil suits between church members.

I find it shocking that a member of this board would state with pride that he has smashed crucifixes. It's not a matter of whether you disagree with the group or their ways of worship. It's a matter of obeying the Golden Rule, and the law (which forbids the deliberate destruction of another's property), not to mention the sensibilities of the group or the person whose property you are destroying. It is barbarous act, no different than my going into the mosque which has sprung up not very far from where I live and destroying their items of worship.

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I find it shocking that a member of this board would state with indignation that he knows for a certainty that MexDeaf was talking about destroying someone else's private property. Nothing MexDeaf said indicates that he destroyed another's property and for you to assume as much and get up on your high horse is appalling.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thank you, Matt. I did not go on someone else's property and destroy crucifixes- and certainly not without their permission.

10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Mexdeaf, there are 3 possibilities here and this last post raises more questions than answers.

1 You destroyed your own crucifixes. No problem.
    2. You destroyed someone else's crucifixes with their permission. Fine.
    3. You destroyed crucifixes belonging to others without their permission. That makes you a criminal.

Which is it? The context of your first post sure sounded like #3, but I could be wrong.

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You are wrong. He already told you that you are wrong. Why are you so concerned about the exact manner in which he has destroyed crucifixes? Obviously you must hold them in an idolatrous state. You are an idolator.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I am extremely uncomfortable with any representation of the image of Christ.

That includes the one in the typical manger scene, which in and of itself is a false representation of the truth anyhow.

It includes paintings.

It includes people acting out the role of Christ in plays, movies, or skits.

It includes drawings.

It includes those silly Jesus dolls.

Anything.

Not only is it trivializing the object of our devotion, it gives rise to possibility of making an idol out of the representation or at least mentally seeing that item as having some type of specialty/holiness that it doesn't deserve because we relate it to Christ himself. If one was to look at a representation of Christ and not feel some sort of desire to cherish/protect it, that in itself would be very odd for a believer.

Best not take the chance. You're gonna screw up either way, so just do what scripture appears to recommend and don't make any images at all of any part of the Trinity. It's just begging for a problem cuz you'll hold it too high, disrespect it, or see it just the same as anything else. All of them are wrong, there's no way you can have such an item and do right. So don't have it.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Please read carefully- I did not go on someone else's property and destroy crucifixes- and certainly not without their permission.

That is as plain as I can put it without having to reiterate all of the circumstances, which are NOYB anyway.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Since we do not know what Jesus, God or the Holy Spirit look like I don't think we have too much to worry about, other than the bowing down to the idols part.

I'm curious though... how do you teach children about Jesus without using any pictures?? I work with the Deaf and I would have an extremely hard time teaching without using any pictures since the Deaf learn primarily visually.

15. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The original post was about whether a crèche is idolatrous. Abcgrad wrote of a person who posited the hypothetical that if he broke or defaced the baby Jesus, people would call it an act of disrespect toward Jesus. Therefore, he believes the act of putting up a crèche is idolatrous. Subsequent posts had to do with destruction or defacing these images, the response to such behavior and whether even having the images amounted to idol worship. Good discussion, and several viewpoints being expressed.

Then Mexdeaf says: “No one I know bows down to worship a manger.” Good beginning to a potentially constructive post. Then he goes on to say: “Now I know some who bow down to crucifixes.” Interesting observation and the beginning of what could be a constructive discussion of the difference between having images that we use to remember certain events and other images that we actually worship.

But then he proudly states: “I have broken those before, on purpose and without remorse.” Up to this point the thread was about vandalism toward church property in general and crèches in particular. It wasn’t about people breaking their own property or breaking others’ property at their request or permission. So when Mexdeaf says “I have broken them before,” it sure sounds like he is committing an act of vandalism. The law calls it criminal mischief. And that is shocking to me, that someone who purports to be a Christian claims responsibility for doing something like that “without remorse.” Why would remorse even enter the picture if what you had done could not possibly have been construed to be wrong?

That is was a crucifix is immaterial. It would be equally shocking if it were baby Jesus, a bible, a hymnal, a church sign or a basketball. So yes, I am quite curious as to the circumstances under which Mexdeaf would do what he said he did.

And Matt, since you want to engage in name calling, I have one for you. You are a slanderer.

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Wait a minute, I just noticed that this is part of his reason for not celebrating Christmas. A manger scene.
    Shoot, if that's the case, forget Christianity.
    There are messed up things in every part of everything.
    There's a plethora of reasons to reject all things great and small, sacred and secular. If that's how one chooses to live, it's very hypocritical to reject one thing and not another when the basis is how some things about it aren't perfect, cuz ain't nuthin' perfect!

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You just won't quit, will you? Your assumptions are wrong. So wrong in fact, that if I were to publish the truth, you would be red-faced with shame. And you should be ashamed for jumping to conclusions and accusing me of doing something criminal which I have not done.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What about a cross? Is it ok to wear one around your neck?

19. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I would say your friend is right, and knows an idol when it is seen. I believe every Christian should ask, "Why do I do what I do?" About the only way we can answer this is, "well, "everybody else is doing it". Every Christen knows (or should know) Christmas is not found in the Bible. Since it is not, shouldn't we find out where this honoring the death of Christ came from?

Before the 1900's, Baptists did not observe Xmas, along with some others, in their churches; much less take unto themselves any thing that smacked of Idol Worship. The Old Testament tells us the heathen would cut down trees; decorate them so they could worship their god/gods on the appropriate date/s. Sound familiar?

It is well documented the Mass of Christ came to be Christmas, and we should know that Mass means death. One thing leads to another. What is so Merry about Death? So why is it Baptists need little fishes that God said not to make, or any other t novelties of man to say, come look and see the little baby we have at our church. Such things will really impress the unsaved when we say, "LOOK!!" "See what little baby Jesus looked like".

Also the date is bogus.

20. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you for the explanation. Okay, so hundreds of years ago some pagans worshiped a pagan god and used decorated trees. That was THEIR worship, not mine. I really don't believe that anybody does that anymore. Over time, the Christmas tree has taken on a new meaning, that is the celebration of the gift of God's son, sent to us. Maybe the roots had a bad connotation, but nowadays it means something different.

Even the angels came to earth and rejoiced at Christ's birth! They celebrated and sang for joy that a savior was born to mankind. Should we do less? In celebrating his birth, death, and resurrection, we worship him and remember the awesome gift of salvation. For me, a nativity scene is a reminder of this, not an idol. I don't worship the nativity scene, I see it and am reminded to worship God. Same thing whenever I see a group of crosses while driving down the road. I don't worship the cross, I worship the One who died on the cross.

I think for some, like my friend, this is "wrong" because the Roman Catholic church did it. I guess my response to that would be, the Catholic church has given money to feed people, to start missions to aid the sick and helpless, and they have housed orphan children. Should I as a Christian not do any of those things just because the Catholics did?