1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Divine Accommodation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Oct 24, 2012.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

So, you would agree then, that all revelation prior to Jesus should be understood in light of Jesus. His life/death on earth should explain the old testament and should be the lense through which we view all previous revelation.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    humblethinker

HT....God is never unaware. Man since the fall always rejects God ...on the terms God has revealed to him.
    3 This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead

God already knows the result.....it is not up to man to accept God, because he never will......so there is no such..."result"

Ht.....I question the idea of asking these questions ...as if God has not given us ALL that pertains to life and godliness. With all these questions what are you aiming at??? I cannot see any ....goal..what are you targeting????.... personally....I do not desire any kind of question along these lines.

HT.....I am just one person and you do not have to put things in a way that I approve of, or disapprove of. You can express what you want for sure. My concern is that having seen your posts in times past I would raise a caution that some of the men you seem to read are taking a toll on your thoughts of God....and in my view ...not in a healthy direction.

Others might like to interact along these lines...but i usually turn to more biblical issues.

Ht....with the biblical framework and worldview that I see expressed in the bible this question is flawed to a point where it cannot recover.What fallen man thinks of God is almost always negative and twisted so we must look elsewhere for solutions.

As I said before.....God redeeming His elect out from among a lost and dying humanity, for His own Glory.....

restoring sacred space,[where God communes with man}
    peace {the elect being justified,rom 5:1 rom 8:1]
    and rest[sabbath]- here and eternally]
    i agree this can sometimes be useful:wavey:

ps...just read this quote on facebook:

#22 Iconoclast, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  3. humblethinker

So, unless I missed it, what is your opinion as to why God used divine accommodation and progressive revelation?

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My opinion does not really matter. Neither does yours. What matters is:
    Scripture is given by God who himself came to earth to accomplish a covenant redemption.

1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

I think you have missed what I have tried to convey to you. I might not be able to help you.I see the purpose and timing of God's revelation taking into account all the providential acts of God....worked out to fulfill all God's good pleasure.
    God has taken time....all of redemptive history...to set it all out...with all the history necessary to save the Covenant people. No mistakes, perfect timing, accomplishing the Divine Decree.

John Flavel:

#24 Iconoclast, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I've quoted your post to ask a layman's question.

First, I readily admit that you guys are well over my head with discussions such as this one. Frankly in this particular forum, I sometimes ask myself what in the sam hill are they talking about? But, I'm here to learn, so I keep reading.

Wasn't God known from the beginning when He walked with Adam and Eve in the garden? The scriptures often speak of a remnant (a small surviving group) of people. In the scriptures is there anything that suggests/confirms that the awareness of the one true triune God completely disappeared in the few generations between Adam and Abram?

From a laymans point of view, if Abram was part of a remnant who knew God, from the beginning, then it wouldn't be necessary from Him to progressively reveal Himself. Instead, in Abram He simply begin laying the groundwork to recognize Him when He would walk, once again, on this earth among the people.

On this earth today, if memory serves there are about 6 billion people. Percentage wise, wouldn't those in the body of Christ be considered a remnant? A remnant thats being pressured and deceived into accepting golden calves disguised as "progressive" evolution?

6. humblethinker

The answer I seem to be getting is a non-answer. I propose it was the case that God, motivated by love and for sake of relationship, knowing the immaturity and weakness of man, chose to accommodate his weakness. What is your answer as to why He did this?

Your answer is your opinion, so it is the case that you have an opinion and I would like to know it. Your opinion does inform and influence what you perceive to be truth.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Quite often (perhaps even more often than not) what many (of us) post here even "supported" by scripture is in fact our "opinion".

I have said many times, my conviction (opinion) is that God's chief motivation regarding the entire saga of redemption is in fact LOVE, love for his creation. Instrumental in that love is without a doubt "relationship", first our relationship to HIM and second our relationship with one another.

I concur completely that HE as creator knew (knows) our weaknesses and immaturity and seeks relationship with us. He seeks our love for HIM and lavishly demonstrates HIS LOVE for us.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Theistic evolution insists that death precedes the fall Theistic evolution, therefore, denies the fall and thus the consequences of the fall.

In my opinion Bio Logos is just one more example of "Christians" compromising with the world; just one more example of Satan's long war with God and the people of God.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting read; Although hasn't man always learned what he knows gradually?. For man everything has to start at the beginning. This is probably why we have a hard time understanding that God has no beginning. There isn't any way I could know this except He tells us this and I accept it because I believe all God says. Yet I do not understand existance with out a beginning.

MB

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The revelation of God in the person of Jesus IS the final and complete revelation from God, as he was God Incarnate!

ALL prior revelations were JUST as trustworthy, as God inspired them to the same extent, as those men who wrote the OT were moved upon by same holy spireit as NT writers, its just that God gave partially, part of hios salvation picture, filling it in through the ages, and finally completed when Christ came!

God did NOT have the OT writers author ANY falsehood.errors, ALl they said was correct and revelation of the lord, but not all that He had to give us at the time!

11. humblethinker

Yes, I agree that God was not deceptive or false in his character or motivation. God accommodates man such that He is willing to humble Himself for the sake of relationship. It is not the case that Jesus is to be viewed in light of the Old Testament but rather any and all depictions of God in the old testament are to be seen in light of Jesus. God looks like Jesus and his heart toward us is Jesus on the cross. We must forego our ideas of God being totally and exhaustively 'changeless' in every conceivable way. Imo, the greatest conceivable being is a person who initiates and responds to other persons in a relationship of love. Imo, this was the experience of the persons in the Trinity prior to creation.

12. humblethinker

Exactly. It is the problem for which I do 't think we can conceive of an answer, an Infinite Causal Regress. Man is a being that is always 'becoming' and the salvation that we have at conversion is like an already-but-not-yet reality.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point ios that its the SAME GOD in either OT/NT, as He was giving revelation to the prophets SAMEway gave it to the Apostles!

And Jesus was same God who ordered the isrealitites to conquer the promised land and destroy all livng things, as he was the One who died for Sins!

NOT God of OT cruel, NT God love

SAME God!

14. humblethinker

Correct: one God.

Yeshua, why did God demonstrate divine accommodation? For what purpose? What was there to gain?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it was progressive revelation from God, NOT that God gave them any false theology, nor that he permitted errors/mistakes crept into the OT!

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some have indicated agreement with this premise.

First what are other gods? Anyone or any thing, whether an idea, or a carved object, that is thought to not be in submission to Yahweh, can be considered another god. The rulers of countries thought of themselves as gods, but they were men. Clearly lots of folks believed in various other gods, and so to refer to the gods of Egypt does not endorse the idea of their actual existence, but only that the Egyptians held belief in them.

Exodus 12:12 addresses God's supremacy over the "gods of Egypt."

Exodus 15:11 points out that there is no other god like Yahweh.

Exodus 20:2-3 says we are to have no other gods before us, again addressing the false gods we put before Yahweh.

Deuteronomy 32:8-9 may be a typo, because the NASB version does not address other gods.

Psalm 82:6 simply refers to national rulers and addresses their view that they are gods, yet makes clear, verse 7, they are mere mortal men.

Psalm 89:6 refers to "sons of gods" but might better be translated as sons of the mighty, i.e. rulers.

Thus the idea that the Bible presents as fact the existence of other gods seems contrived.

However, certainly revelation is progressive. But the principle of complimentary hermeneutics must be recognized, what came later expanded upon what came first. The mystery of Christ, presented in terms not understood fully at the time when the Old Testament was written, was revealed in the New Testament. The Old Covenant was replaced with the New Covenant, and the New Covenant mystery of being with Jews and Gentiles was more fully revealed. Thus revelation was expanded more than revised. Only misunderstands were corrected.

#36 Van, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012