1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorce question...specifics...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by 3John2, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

And look at the mess that Solomon made of his life. His father was a horrible roll model as far as women were concerned, and Solomon couldn't keep his pants on.

Oh, by the way, David was a Jew living under the old, imperfect covenant of Law. He had never heard the blessed words of Jesus,

Luke 16:18. "Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery.

Nor had he read these words from our brother Paul,

Rom. 7:3. So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

You, however, have heard the blessed words of Jesus, and you have read Paul’s words, and you shall be accountable.

2. Rose Fenton

Rose Fenton New Member

Surely we are all sinners, and certainly reap what we sow, but this scripture has set me free from any bondage.

Romans 8 v. 2 "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

I would just reply to the primitive Baptist, who said something like "one man, one woman, for life"
    of course that is the ideal, and we would wish it so. We are all sinners, in this sinful world, and didn't the Lord state in His word that even if a man looks upon a woman with sexual desire, he has committed adultery in his heart. We are under grace and everything is spiritual.

Having said that, I love the Strict Baptists here in England, as they are called. I listen to their services and sermons at home.

Love in Christ, from Rose

3. Craigbythesea

So I think we should get as much out of life as we possibly can. There is nothing better than to enjoy our food and drink and to have a good time. Then we can make it through this troublesome life that God has given us here on earth. Eccles. 8:15 (CEV)

So I am convinced that we should enjoy ourselves, because the only pleasure we have in this life is eating and drinking and enjoying ourselves. We can at least do this as we labor during the life that God has given us in this world. Eccles. 8:15 (GNB)

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Now that isn't exactly true, is it?
    The Verses that you quote continuously (and you did again with this post) refer to Marriage as adultery. None of them deal with sexual intercourse, and this fact is "clear and obvious". By interjecting the subject of sexual intercourse into these Passages, it is "clear and obvious" that you have added to the Message, and I would beseech you to refrain from this.
    As for an "exegetical refutation," you have never provided even one Scriptural Passage that mandates celibacy in a remarriage.
    My "teaching" is not as strict as Jesus?
    Bear in mind that you are interjecting the subject of sexual intercourse into a Passage dealing with marriage. Show us in ANY of these Verses that you have quoted on multiple occasions where the subject of sexual intercourse is discussed. The only time Jesus spoke of copulation was the Passage in Matthew that you have conveniently omitted from your oft-quoted list of Scriptural Passages. The marriage was equated to adultery, and anyone who is or has been married knows that marriage is more than just simply copulation. Again, I would beseech you to refrain from adding to the Message, as this is a very serious matter.

5. Baptist in Richmond

Now that isn't exactly true, is it?
    I never spoke of my approval/disapproval of divorce, other than pointing out the instances where divorce is "clearly" allowed. [Again, one of these is found in the Gospel of Matthew.] Furthermore, it is between the three of them: the husband, the wife, and Almighty God. As I am not responsible for the divorce in any circumstance listed thus far, to suggest that I made the "mess" is a blatant misrepresentation. I would beseech you to refrain from bearing false witness.
    You still didn't answer the question, by the way.

King David was not perfect, and yet he was chosen by God to lead His people. Notice that God loved him in spite of his shortcomings. Are there any among us that are so haughty as to claim perfection?
    By the way, thanks for giving us the visualization supplied by your lewd comment about King Solomon. As I recall, King Solomon would not have worn pants.

6. Baptist in Richmond

I would beseech you to avoid the appearance of blasphemy. Who gave us this "imperfect" Covenant? Are you speaking of the same Covenant that Jesus was sent to fulfill? Are you saying that the Law given to us by God through Moses is somehow "imperfect?" To usurp a statement from one of the criminals: "dost not thou fear God?" Perhaps you should calm down prior to hitting the "reply" button.
    By far the most intriguing statement you have made thus far, I am really curious as to what exactly is the underlying implication. Are there some among us who will not be held accountable? Who might that be?

My sincere hope to anyone out there who has experienced the pain of divorce is that they know that God does not change His Mind with respect to forgiveness. A forgiven sin is precisely that. Just because you have been through a divorce does not mean that God is somehow finished with you. Many churches offer counseling for divorced people that will help you through the pain and the healing. I pray that you find the support to overcome the trauma of what you have experienced.

7. Craigbythesea

6. But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry which is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.
    7. For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion for a second.
    Heb. 8.6-7 (NASB, 1995)

“Baptist” in Richmond, let me know when you have read the Bible. Perhaps at that time we can resume our conversation. [​IMG]

Who is good?
    As it is written, There is none righteous, no,not one.
    ~Romans 3:10~

Who has sinned?

For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
    ~Romans 3:23~

Where Sin Came From

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin,
    and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.
    ~Romans 5:12~

God's Price On Sin

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God
    is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    ~Romans 6:23~

Who Paid The Price?

But God commendeth his love toward us,
    in that , while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    ~Romans 5:8~

The Only Way Out

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth, the Lord Jesus,and shalt
    believe in thine heart God hath raised him from the dead thou shalt be saved.
    For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;and
    with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
    For the scripture saith, whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
    ~Romans 10:9-10~

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    ~Romans 10:13~

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Congratulations, you've now become skilled at circular reasoning. If you don't think that adultery and abandonment sever the marital covenant, then you've already made you mind upm regardless of what the Bible says in context (not what a verse here and there says in YOUR context).

9. Craigbythesea

Luke 1

1. Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
    2. Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
    3. It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
    4. That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Luke 16

1. And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.
    2. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.
    3. Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
    4. I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
    5. So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?
    6. And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
    7. Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
    8. And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
    9. And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
    10. He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
    11. If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
    12. And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
    13. No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
    14. And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
    15. And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
    16. The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
    17. And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
    18. Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.
    19. There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
    20. And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
    21. And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
    22. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
    23. And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    24. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
    25. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
    26. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
    27. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
    28. For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
    29. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
    30. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
    31. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Ah, so you interpret this to mean that Christ came to fulfill an "imperfect" Covenant? [That was your word, by the way.]
    Interesting: that might be a good topic for another forum.......

By the way, that was a nice job of putting the word Baptist in quotes. Was that for my edification? I will let that comment stand on its own merits.

================================================

Notwithstanding this, as I stated before, I would encourage anyone on this list who is going through a divorce to find a good recovery program. I tried going to google.com and searching for Baptist Divorce Recovery workshops. This is a link to some of the information I found. Unfortunately, it lists more than just Baptist churches, so I would suggest that you try doing an advanced search on Google on your particular city/town. Hopefully, you will be able to find a workshop that will help you cope with what I am sure is a very difficult time.

If you are fortunate enough to be citizen of the Commonwealth (here in the River City), PM me as I know of two very good churches with recovery programs.

You are sincerely in my prayers,

"Baptist" in Richmond