1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Divorce, Remarriage and Preaching

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sola Scriptura, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sola Scriptura

Sola Scriptura New Member

When you have time please post your thoughts on this subject, for and against. Please try to be polite and respectful, I know this topic can get the passions going. Do you think a divorced man can preach? Do you think he can Pastor? Do you think he can just preach and not Pastor? Thanks. https://scarletdblog.wordpress.com/

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, yes, yes.

To be honest, it really depends on the situation of the divorce and remarriage. We have a dear friend who was a drug addict, his wife divorced him, he remarried, he was saved, got clean and has now been with his second wife for 20+ years. He is a pastor with a vital ministry to those in recovery.

3. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The timing of the divorce carries a lot of weight here. If the divorce was prior to salvation I do think the man would be permitted to pastor and preach.
    If he was saved and then divorced he could possibly pastor and preach IF it was because the wife was an adulterous. Other than that I would say no.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe he can preach but he cannot pastor. As everyone knows there are specific qualifications for the office of Bishop which automatically demand that not all Christians are qualified. However, what I think many fail to understand is the purpose of the qualifications. The purpose of the qualifications is to set in front of the congregation THE EXAMPLE for others to follow. So in each category of qualifications ask yourself what would be THE EXAMPLE that God would have for your children and you to follow? In marrriage what would be God's EXAMPLE for all to follow? God hates divorce, so how could a divorced man be set forth as the EXAMPLE OF MARRIAGE that God wants us to follow? It is just that simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the divorce is past and repented sin regardless of when it happened everyone should move on. this answer is not exhaustive and I am not going to give caveats. What is important is that any time we hold past and repentant sins against someone we create a theological crisis. The very nature of forgiveness requires this understanding.

We also need to understand the very clear difference between consequences and unforgiveness. A consequence is the result of actions of which no one can change. Once a bullet leaves a gun that was fired out of anger there is no way to unshoot the gun. When a pastor commits a sin such as adultery he does need to step out of the pulpit. If he has submitted to counseling and accountability to a pastoral group and they deem him ready to resume the call of God on his life then he should.

Pastors should be an example. That is an example of how you are living now. Past and repented sin does not come into play.

#5 Revmitchell, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Just because sin has been repented of does not mean there are not lingering consequences. For example, take a common scenario in American congregations where the Pastor has an affair with another member in the congregation, let's say the piano player or church clerk. Both may confess they have sinned, but due to the nature of that sin it would be impossible for that Pastor to continue in the pulpit as he has lost all credibility in the community around the church much less among the church members and their children.

That is why the primary issue of pastoral qualifications is and must be EXAMPLE.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. No. Yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, No, and Yes

1 Timothy lays out the qualifications, and based on what I read it seems to clearly forbid option 2.

The only time I may differ on that is if the divorce is caused by Adultery, which seems to be the only reason for divorce (other than abuse) in the Bible. And even then I'd need to pray about it.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you are speaking of a currently serving pastor sinning as opposed to someone who sinned YEARS before and before he was saved. I agree that a currently serving pastor who had an affair is now disqualified from the ministry.

If we hold to the idea that a pastor can never be divorced even if it happened years before and before he was saved, then we also need to not allow pastors who were former alcoholics, gluttons or anything else like that. If he had a tumultuous adolescence he's disqualified too. But that's not at all what we do because we believe in redemption and grace. I believe the same applies to a divorce that happened before salvation and YEARS before a man becomes a pastor.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy isn't so clear. The text litterally says, a "one woman man".
    There are other situations where a man takes a second or third wife other than divorce, e.g. early death.

My congregation is rather conservative. We have a gentleman who faithfully teaches the scriptures each week. He was divorced as a young man and married a woman who likewise, had a previous marrage. That was more than 25 years ago. He has proven himself faithful to his wife and his family.

Can he preach? He sure can!
    Can he pastor? Not at this church. That being said I'd call him a "one woman man".

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going off OP just a little but - as Deacon said 1 Timothy isn't so clear. ( husband of one wife)
    If we we take this literally then a man would have to step down as pastor if his wife dies, and more specifically a single man could never be a pastor.

Thus the key phrase is a "one woman man"

Now Biblicalist said Just because sin has been repented of does not mean there are not lingering consequences
    Same thing with other sins - There are times when a long time alcoholic or even drug user gets saved, and becomes a pastor. Then everyone praises him for having such a new great life. YET - he still has lingering consequences from his previous addiction.

Looking at the posts above - I think that Rev Mitchell hit the nail on the head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the Article in the Blog "Scarlet D"

So why does God seem to delight in Plan B? Plan B situations often require more of you than you think you have. Plan A, as we develop it, seems perfect. Plan B is harder and less appealing. Why does God seem to delight in using those Christians who are now in the Plan B of their life to do so much for Him? Why does God delight in being the God of the second chance? (I Corinthians 1:27 – But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; & II Corinthians 12:9-10 –And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.)

The answer is Plan A can be all about what we can do in our own power. Plan B, what we do for God, is all through His Power. God does not get any glory through what we do through our own power or abilities. It is only when I do things that I know are beyond my ability, beyond my knowledge, and beyond my powers and skills, beyond what we used to think was possible, or even allowed due to man made rules, that God ultimately gets the glory. So that is why you see all throughout scripture God puts people in situations that are beyond anything that they are capable of doing on their own. God delights in putting people in those situations, because it then becomes obvious who is enabling them to do the work for Him, all the glory then goes to God and not man; just by the simple fact God is using a Plan B Christian to do what we used to think was only possible to do by a Plan A Christian.

My thoughts:

This doesn't quite settle right with me. I'm trying to avoid being critical. If "Plan A" is a Healthy Biblical Marriage, Then the mature understanding IS "I can ONLY be the Husband/Wife God desires me to be through HIS Grace alone!" We can only truly love our spouse through Christ's love towards us. We must reciprocate God's love in our marriage. The idea that "Plan A" (healthy marriage) can be done in my power is prideful and destined for failure. Anyone with a mature understanding of marriage and God's love knows it's only through His Grace and Love and Spirit does a marriage Thrive (In a Christian Context). I understand the premise of this article, to offer hope and mercy and grace to those who have gone through a divorce. I totally agree and get that. But there seems to be some sort of underlying idea that God will do more with divorce than He can with a marriage. A healthy Biblical Marriage IS IMPOSSIBLE in our abilities. A total dependence on God's Love and Grace and Wisdom is absolutely necessary for both parties to Glorify God in marriage. I can bring nothing to the equation. It's Total Reliance on God Through Christ and the Power of the Holy Spirit that brings about a marriage that Exalts the Lord God Almighty.

The Idea that "Plan B" Christians are more malleable or more dependent on the Lord is a stretch.

Yes, brokenness does allow a Christian to be used of God (God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble). But one doesn't have to wait until divorce to realize they are totally unable to bring Glory to God without His Grace and Strength and Holy Spirit Leading them all the way.

#12 JonShaff, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that te person can IF the divorce was on a scriptural basis, but that would be the only way

14. Sola Scriptura

Sola Scriptura New Member

Thank you for all of your responses, I appreciate it.

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The problem with your argument is that a divorced man, regardless when the divorce occurred still has a LIVING WIFE and perhaps children that are STILL HANGING AROUND. With regard to alcoholism, gluttony or ect. before he was saved is not the case unless he is still that way.

Qualified Pastors do not happen in a vacuum, but are kept by God from birth to their calling as was Jeremiah (Jer. 1:5).

Divorced men are not what God wants to set before the congregation as THE EXAMPLE of marriage. They can serve God in many, many, many, many different capacities but not in that capacity. There are women who are gifted speakers and leaders but that does not qualify them to be Pastors just because they are gifted in those areas. They too can serve God in many, many, many, many different capacities but not in that capacity.

Those qualified for Bishop are THE EXAMPLE of what God desires in marriage and God hates divorce and so a divorcee can never be that example.

#15 The Biblicist, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, I disagree with this. She is no longer his wife. When Jesus met the woman at the well and He addressed her husband and she said she has no husband, Jesus agreed with her and said, "“You are right in saying, ‘I have no husband’; for you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true.” Jesus Himself said that she has had five husbands and now she has none. So I do think divorce leaves two people who are no longer married.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are free to think as you please but not free to invent your own facts. First, you don't know if all other five husbands were already dead and she was living outside of marriage with this man. Second, you don't know if Christ was speaking with regard to the Samaritan's own laws of divorce. Third, you are making death and divorce synonymous as your view makes both divorce and death equal grounds for remarriage whereas one is the act of God and the other an act of man. Fourth, you are making Christ contradict himself by adding another exception clause (Mt. 19). Instead of "except for fornication" you make him mean "except for fornication and divorce." Be careful how you handle God's Word and what motivations are behind how you handle it.

18. Johnf

Johnf Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is scripturaly disqualified from being a pastor. That does not mean he is incapable of ministering to people, just that he is not qualified to be in a leadership position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, do we take I Tim literally?

1) Can a single man be a pastor?
    2) Should a man step down as pastor when his wife dies - as he is no longer the husband of one wife

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Again,the overall context of all the Pastoral epistles is to set before the congregation the positive EXAMPLE for what to follow. The single man does not have to be concerned with marriage example or parenting example but the marriage man does and the married man with children has even more qualifications. So the qualifications are designed to fit the areas most concerned with EXAMPLE.

As far as a single person the other qualifications cover those bases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.