1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Divorced in Church Roles

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by WorthyIsTheLamb, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Not

I have not nor will I ever discuss that subject with you or anyone else.

I failed to see where you are coming from on this subject. You brought it up.

I haven't seen anywhere you have received an appointment to perform such a task.

Can I view your credentials, please?

I can agree, but what SFinChrist spoke of is past history and available through public records.

Good for you to point out the disparagies of divorce. That is why it is sin.

I believe you're going off the deep end with your insinuations there.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

The only mistake I could see he might have made was marrying the wrong woman.

This could have been due to a lack of patience and went into it too quickly.

I am not boasting here, but I feel I married the right one. She is much like her mother. Her mother has always reminded me of my most favorite woman in the world/ my grandmother.

She is countrygirl dumb but very intelligent at the same time.

My heart goes out to those like SFinChrist and also to those like his wife.

BTW, if you're saved by the Blood of Christ and indwelt by the Holy Ghost, guess what?

We're BRETHREN!

Although I won't do this, I could look at your remarks as judging my salvation. If that were the case, you'll have to take it up with :jesus: .

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Yep........ sure nuff! The log is still there. :laugh:

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Is that a reformed log or just a beam of your own making?

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Glad you married the right lady Salamander. You can take my remarks any way you wish, question anything in your mind or keep it to yourself. My comments were directed at the decision process in examining a Pastorial Candidate during a job interview with strangers present, a candidate with a background of divorce. Only a small portion applied to SFIC, and he and I got that cleared up. So no worries, we are fine.

I have never accused another of judging my salvation, and in turn, no one has ever accused me. Not even planted a seed of doubt until now.

Reformed Believer, that is exactly how I read your post. It was very nice of you to explain yourself though.

Let's all agree to enjoy our weekend :) Life is short

#184 Joe, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Well start a new thread on the process of inquisition of a pastoral candidate.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Especially those of us who are concerned for others and how they might be treated by the leaders of an assembly.

I recently have observed some one trying to force their "teaching' in the place of a church service in an attempt to cause those to "qualify" for future membership.

Take all the jabs you wish and attemtp tp substanciate all your remarks too.

6. Armchair Scholar

Armchair Scholar New Member

Amen! :applause:

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So you're saying "Amen!" to her hardheartedness along with his accusation against her and that
    ?DOESN'T? cause concern over the qualifications of a pastor???:praying:

I'm truly sorry how things developed in the marital situation, but the evidences of the accusative spirit causes reason for disqualification for a bias formed against such persons suspected to be guilty of same.

I believe we are in the last days/ perilous times, just as "amens" to what was given surely indicates that very time prophecied.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Husband of one wife .... what if the man's first wife died and he is married again?

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The vows include "til death us do part"

So it is very much allowable to remarry after a spouse passes on.

Debbie Mc

10. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

It seems that two things have been discussed here through the months; 1) The qualifications for pastors and deacons 2) Is divorce a sin? I see these as two different issues. There are many things in the Bible that are sin but they are not all listed as reasons why someone can't be a pastor.

I think the original question asked about a man whose wife had been married before.

If the verses in I Timothy 3 state the qualifications of a Pastor, why didn't God include "the husband of a wife that has not been divorced" if that is what He meant?

To those of you that hold to this belief that a man who has married a woman who has been divorce can never be a Pastor, could you give me the scriptural references you use to come to that conclusion?

I really want to understand your position but I have never had anyone present a scriptural arguement for that point of view. Just a belief that if God said the man can't be divorced his wife can't either. I have read every single entry in this thread and I still have not seen it argued with scripture.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The Lord addressed that issue saying they are no longer twain but are become one flesh. That covers it.

The Scripture tells us that he which marrieth her that hath been divorced commits adultery with her.

BTW, proclaiming the truth is never arguing.

12. Justlittleoldme

Okay, yes, he has commited adultery but where is that listed in I Timothy 3 in the qualifications for a Pastor. You are taking two different issues and combining them. I Timothy does not say a Pastor has to be sinless.

Yes, adultery is a sin. There is no doubt that scripture teaches that. But where, in the scripture, does it disqualify you from being a Pastor? There are many men who are now Pastor who commited fornication in their past maybe even before they were Christians. Does that disqualify them from being a pastor? That is a sin along the same lines. If you believe it does, could you give me scripture for that too.

13. Justlittleoldme

Let me clarify since you seem to have misunderstood my meaning.
    I said,
    "I really want to understand your position but I have never had anyone present a scriptural arguement for that point of view. Just a belief that if God said the man can't be divorced his wife can't either. I have read every single entry in this thread and I still have not seen it argued with scripture."

I was not using arguement as in "dipute with words*" but as in "reasons given to persuade*".

I was also not using argued as in "disagree with words*" but as in "to give reasons for or against something*."

Proclaiming the truth sometimes is arguing.

*Webster's New Dictionary of the English Language. 2002

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I don't have a problem with understanding the bishop, or anyone who can stand behind the Sacred Desk/ The Pulpit, as to proclaim the word of God, must be the husband of one wife, which that wife also must not be the wife of another.

The Bible tends to provide a higher standard for marriage than men will ever admit until they submit to the Bible as God's word and the authority for all life and the practice of life.

15. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

Oh my,

How did we come to this? Could it perhaps be that somewhere way back yonder the fence was let down and now it is common?

I mean, I come from a church where divorce and remarriage is a sin. We know the Bible says God hates divorce, but divorce is not the sin if they do not remarry, but the sin was in remarriage according to the scripture.

We didn't let someone who was divorced and remarried even be a member of our church. Of course that excluded about half the people in the country these days.

If, however, the Bible says that to marry one who is divorced is adultry, is that second marriage the "only" marriage. It would seem that as long as the first partner still lives, then the second marriage could be considered adultry.

Now I understand that some will say the difference is "when" the divorce and or remarriage occured. Before they were saved? or after?

Is DR the unpardonable sin?

We will put the murderer on the speaking circuit but the divorced and remarried are forbidden to open their mouth?

Yet, it might be argued that the thief is told to sin no more. The murderer gives up murdering, the liar should give up lying, and the adulterer must give up adultry.

Does that mean the D&R person must leave the marriage there in?

This is a can of worms. What is the answer? We seem to have "gray" areas, but I am sure glad God sees only black and white.

I will give you an example however, of a case I know of. There was a couple that the husband left the wife to live in the world. She remained faithful to Christ and her marriage vows, raising her children and never remarrying. The man, on the other hand, married two more times after leaving her. She remained in the church but he of course was excommunicated. After twenty some years, he came back to the Lord. The woman he was married to coulddn't stand the change in his life so she left him. He got into reading the Bible and came back to the first wife who agreed to remarry him. I got to do the wedding. It was a joyous occasion for all their kinfolk.
    Now, if she had remarried, this would not have happened, perhaps. Some would say she was free to remarry since he was "at fault" .. Yet she viewed the scriptures as literal as did the church and God has blessed her for it.

Yes, we can weave a tangled web and sometimes get caught there in. We must be careful we are not misleading folks.

I will definately vote that a D&R person can not be a minister or deacon as long as their divorced partner is alive for they are the husband of more than one wife.

OK, I'm ready for the hailstorm. Again, I know God sees things in black and white when we muddy up the water and make things gray.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Deut. 24:1-4

When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

2And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.

3And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;

4Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

According to this, it was wrong for them to remarry, right?

17. Justlittleoldme

Okay Danthebaptist. You answered PART of the question. How about weighing in on this part of the question.

18. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Jesus corrected Moses in Matthew.

Matthew 5:31-48 (KJV)
    31: It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
    32: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19:3-9 (KJV)
    3: The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
    4: And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
    5: And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
    6: Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
    7: They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
    8: He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
    9: And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

19. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

You beat me to it, Scribe. LOL I was going to quote those verses.

Dan: I cannot believe that you felt it was all right to remarry those two people and even act happy about it???

A divorce is a divorce and adultery is adultery.

How can you justify saying that the first wife should not remarry after her husband left her and commited adultery, but remarry them causing them to further commit adultery and think you did something good!?!

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So are you advocating men to have hardhearts towards their wives and remain unforgiving to the point of divorcing her?

Either way, divorce is a feeble attempt by man to put to death the living institution of holy matrimony.

A man and a woman become one flesh joined together by the vows of marriage, thus they are joined together by the Lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.