1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dixie Chicks on 60 minuites

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bro. Curtis, May 15, 2006.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I wonder if you would feel this way if her "politics" were right-wing? Somehow, I doubt it.

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

And somehow, I suspect that it would interfere with your listening pleasure if Dixie Chicks were pro-war and pro-Bush. You might even say 'shut up and sing'.

3. Terry_Herrington

No, I would listen to their music if I were a modern country music fan.

I love to listen to many artist I disagree with. For instance, I enjoy Elton John's music very much, yet I am not pro-gay. I like Ted Nugent and he is pretty much right-wing.

Next question.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im a right wing - Pro-life - Religous Fundemental. I enjoy country, (depends on the lyrics) Southern Gospel and Blue Grass. The Dixie Chicks only hurt themselves.

Disagreeing with the President is one thing but trashing him over seas especially during war time is imature, Unamerican, and irresponsible.

5. Terry_Herrington

It is also called, free speech!

6. here now

here now Member

Terry Herrington says:

I love to listen to many artist I disagree with. For instance, I enjoy Elton John's music very much, yet I am not pro-gay.

here now asks:

Would you still be an Elton John fan if he had songs about being gay and downing people who were against being gay?

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

It is also called, free speech! </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Goodness me folks, here in liddle old Oz the group called Midnight Oil made a living whining about the government.....the only way to shut the lead singer was to get him into politics..... so go on vote the Chicklets into power.....go I dare ya!

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is also called, free speech! </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, it is an exercise of freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech, however, does NOT negate the fact that the comment was immature, unAmerican, and irresponsible.

Freedom of speech is a right that was paid for by the blood of many Americans - both men and women.

But freedom of speech is not some "magic fairy" dust that makes whatever one says automatically correct, fair, important, nor worthy of listening to.

Freedom of speech does not make the stupid seem wise nor the vain appear humble.

The stupid are still stupid and the vain are still vain.

It only allows the stupid and the vain to voice their opinion along with the wise and the humble...even though the two voices are contrary to each other.

She had a right to voice her opinions about our president.

But that right that she exercised does not make her OPINIONS valid nor worthy of listening to, no matter how popular she is.

In my own OPINION, she, as a celebrity, used her popularity as a megaphone and she voiced her opinion to a people who already despise our president in order to increase her celebrity status.

It wasn't a political rally. Leave the politics alone and just entertain the idiot and brain-numbed masses. They can't think for themselves anyway. All they want for the price of their ticket is to be mindlessly entertained.

10. Terry_Herrington

I might not like that particular song, but I wouldn't necessarily stop listening to him.

11. jet11

jet11 Member

It is also called, free speech! </font>[/QUOTE]So let me get this straight. The Dixie Chicks are free to say whatever they want, but American citizens who disagree with them should somehow remain quiet. Along with freedom is a concept of responsibility. Repsponsible citizens would not run down there country in war time on foreign soil.

You are correct in your assertion that they have free speech rights, and I for one am glad that they told me where they stand. That way, I can never spend any money on anything they are associated with. After all, that is my right as well.

12. Magnetic Poles

jet, funny, I didn't see Terry saying anything about you being quiet. A bit hypersensitive, are we?

13. jet11

jet11 Member

Not sensitive at all. I have no problem with what they said as far as free speech rights go, but to have said it on foreign soil is inexcuseable in my book.

Also, it appears to me the argument for free speech is somehow supposed to insulate them from rebuttal and economic loss. It was a very poor business decision as they will soon find out.

14. Magnetic Poles

Not sensitive at all. I have no problem with what they said as far as free speech rights go, but to have said it on foreign soil is inexcuseable in my book. </font>[/QUOTE]So, one leaves their rights of free speech at the U.S. border? Interesting take on civil rights. Sorry, but I don't buy it.

15. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

No one is talking litigation here or impinging on someone's "civil rights". Funny, I never knew freedom of speech meant freedom from rebuttal. :rolleyes:

16. Magnetic Poles

No one is talking litigation here or impinging on someone's "civil rights". Funny, I never knew freedom of speech meant freedom from rebuttal. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]gtbuzz, here's the point ===&gt; .
    You are missing it!

Of course we are not talking litigation. However, jet has stated it was wrong for the Dixie Chicks to express criticism of the administration while on foreign soil. I don't buy it. Yes, he, you, and anyone else can certainly rebut. Who said you can't?

17. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Magnetic here's your point ==&gt;.
    .&lt;=== Here's my point

We are missing each other. [​IMG]

Jet didn't say anything about restricting their civil rights or free speech, but rather that they OUGHT not to have done it. Show me where Jet said they don't have the right as you suggested? He said they have the right, but others have the right to respond to it as well.

It was tastless, classless, immature, and cowardly. And it's my right to have those opinions.

I don't like country music, but what are left-leaning musicians doing calling themselves "dixie" anyway?? As a native of a "union" state I find that offensive. :D

And that's about all I have to say about that. :cool:

18. jet11

jet11 Member

Well said, and exactly my point.

19. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Am I the only that thinks this is really stupid?

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Am I the only that thinks this is really stupid? </font>[/QUOTE]She's rationalizing.

That's all she's got left.