1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Amish have outreach

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by UnchartedSpirit, Jun 12, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Or at least lets people in and out of their society, so that they just arn't a bunch of hermits?

2. Link

Link New Member

I met a pastor who said back when he used to live in Ohio when he was young, he worked for an Amish man. His daughter liked him, and they would have liked for him to convert. I don't know what that process involved.

3. UnchartedSpirit

but are they a isolationist Christianity-that is they keep their righteousness to themselves or calim that only their culture is righteous?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The Amish are separatists from society. They aren't out to get people to join -- people who are Amish are either born into it or marry into it (which I don't think is that common).

5. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Amish

I've had a fair amount of contact with the Amish in my area - over the past few years. Most of the ones I know - seem genuinely happy to see me - but that may be because I've spend a fair amount of money with them.

They are not a missionary type people. They will work with and for the English (anyone who is not Amish - is English). Most that I know have their own trades - with which they earn a living.

Each church district is autonomous - and have their own ordnung. Thus you will see some variations from church district to church district. Some examples - various colors of buggies (I've seen black, gray, and brown), and suspenders or no suspenders for men's trousers. In my area - if they bale hay - they hand feed the loose hay into the baler. In Landcaster, PA - some are allowed to pull a baler (with a pony motor) with a team of horses.

Hope this helps some!

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

http://www.religioustolerance.org/amish.htm
    there is also a list of references used for the article.

the Amish I know here have gas powered lights, use a large tractor battery for power, like a window fan, the two stores have telephones.
    They almost never do anything evangelistic, and believe membership in their church, along with following their rules is salvation. And about the pictures, I met an Amish girl in the scrapbook store once, someone in her family had given ehr a $50. gift certificate for her birthday, she was a regular scrapper, not new,and was there with several other Amish women.
    They want no contact with the english aside from getting their money(which includes mine, I shop there too), and of course walmart, Rudy Hostettler is a fine guy though, he owns one of the salvage stores nearby, likes to joke and laugh.
    We have a lot of Amish here, there are probably at least 5 communities in the general area.

7. UnchartedSpirit

then the next question should be

do we have an outreach for them?