1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do any of you use bible study software For teaching/preaching purposes?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DaChaser1, Jan 12, 2012.

1. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

just heard that Accordance was the best fro orginal language research, not though best for other biblcal studies, as not really large modules when compared to say logos!

maybe way to go would be Mac with Accordance scholars modules edition, and run Virtual mode for window software!

best of both worlds?

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm thinking that Bible Works can do anything Accordance can do, so why not just go with the PC.

A friend (Dr. Charles Draper, brother of Dr. Jimmy Draper, past Pres. LifeWay Christian Resources) did a Ph.D. dissertation on a newly discovered early fragment of John and used Accordance, so I know it is a powerful research tool, but if other tools can do likewise, why be burdened with the Mac? Pay more for a machine just for the mystique when it runs the same hardware under the hood and where software costs more just seems silly.

Some of that Mac mystique remains from the earliest days of personal computing when one machine actually was a tad better at graphics than the other, but those days are long over.

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

whay you saying makes sense, just that it brings back memories of Dos days with Gramcord, as being the "Holy Grail" of software for biblical researching the scriptures!

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Oh my... We've come a LONG way since then! :laugh:

Here is one resource I forgot to mention. Most of their stuff is STEP so it dovetails with Quick Verse and WordSearch.

www.freebiblesoftware.com/

I have about 5 of their CDs. Real deal!

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

I know !

have the Gramcord for windows/Logos scholars/esword/the Word/Online Bible!

what is interesting is spend far more time using 'simple' software than the high end stuff!

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use Logos 4.
    It's the only bible software I own. I've been using it for about 15 years and spend far too much purchasing books every month.

I've only rarely used it in a teaching situation, showing a lexicon's definitions and to compare various.

I'd encourage you if your interested to make minimal purchase to gain access to many free books that are offered on a regular basis (Note: you'll need to provide a credit card number).

This month they gave us a John Owen volume "Temptation and Sin" [LINK] and will offer a free book each month this year.

Unfortunately without a rather pricy investment most of Logos 4's muscle will be unavailable but the books and search features will work just fine.

Rob

7. tmurray

tmurray New Member

I use Word Search 9. You can get Word Search 9 for free through face book that comes with a pretty good library. I would like to have Logos but I already have an extensive library in Word Search and I really don’t know who much more it would benefit me.

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

I have logos 3 scholars with additional grammers and lexicons purchased!

Works fine for me, looked to upgrade it to Logos 4, but just too much money, since I use older one, why change ?

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Biggest reason I have found to update is that the engines that drive the software often will not work well on newer versions of operating software.

For instance, my earlier versions of Quick Verse and also WordSearch do not search well on Win 7. They both worked great on XP pro. I can emulate, but it is easier and advantgeous to just upgrade as you often gain resources newly published when you do so and the older books dovetail right into the new systems.

So, for those still using Logos 3, you can update to the newest version of Logos (Libronix) and still use your existing books. Same for STEP readers.

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Sometimes run into browser issues also, as my Logos works fine with explorer 8, failed to work with version 9!

What greek/hebrew lexicons do you use via bibile software?

#30 DaChaser1, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012