1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Calvinist use “Philosophy” or Not?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Benjamin, Dec 21, 2011.

?
  1. Calvinism uses a philosophical system to interpret scripture.

70.0%
  2. Calvinism has nothing to do with philosophy; it is built strictly on scriptural language.

30.0%
  3. Calvinism is inflexible because it comes from the enlightened understandings of church fathers.

10.0%
  4. Most Non-Calvinist use philosophy, but true Calvinists should have no part of that concept.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Calvinism was God given to the Saints as expressed in the “confession” w/out philosophical input.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. To use philosophy is to heretically import ideas into the historic faith.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The point you miss -- because it is so evident that it is overlooked -- is WHOM granted for humans these various powers?

Answer? GOD

Verily I say unto you...
    Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave then power...
    And God blessed them and said to them...

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I clearly “established’ at least some Calvinist (one in particular) should be checking the last 5 options, if they were being intellectually honest. Post #56.

Now, I note nothing but drum pounding rather than dealing with the issues. Pertaining to rather or not Calvinist use philosophy it has been shown some will conveniently use the philosophical principles of some church fathers while they deny it as being such. When they are pinned down on that fact rather than dealing with the issues in a philosophical way they resort back to BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

My conclusion is that they do in fact use it when convenient (calling it something else) and otherwise deny its value. But, I’ll let the readers decide whether Calvinist use philosophy or not, and when they value it and when they don’t.

My job here is done.

Merry Christmas.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your post is sinful and wicked completely unbiblical.....making light of the word of God...you have an evil view of the biblical God......The only thing unstable here is your post.
    Adam was created good...but untested{unstable} he did not pass the test. Neither does your post.
    Multitudes of very fine presbyterian brethren , christians do find it good. Your condemnation of these brethren is ignorant. You could not begin to stand up to them theologically....especially with this kind of ignorant offering in which you demonstrate no biblical acumen whatsoever.
    If you were attempting to joke about spiritual things....you fell way short of anything funny.

#83 Iconoclast, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2011
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Merry Christmas to you ...but you have tried to be helpful in your sincere attempt in this thread. You have failed to establish anything edifying in your attempts however......so I will leave you to your philosophical games....maybe you can find someone who wants to play.....it will not be me.
    If you do want to discuss the bible , scripture, or sound doctrine...I will be available for that:wavey:

5. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

"Your post is sinful and wicked completely unbiblical.....making light of the word of God...you have an evil view of the biblical God......The only thing unstable here is your post.
    Adam was created good...but untested{unstable} he did not pass the test. Neither does your post."

"Multitudes of very fine presbyterian brethren , christians do find it good. Your condemnation of these brethren is ignorant. You could not begin to stand up to them theologically....especially with this kind of ignorant offering in which you demonstrate no biblical acumen whatsoever.
    If you were attempting to joke about spiritual things....you fell way short of anything funny."

Of course I would be considered wicked and sinful for opposing Calvin to a Calvin follower.

Of couse I would be considered to have an evil view of the biblical God if the view is in opposition to Holy Calvin and his disciples.

Of course I could not begin to stand up to a Calvin disciple theologically, I would be laughing so hard, I could not stand, I'd be rolling on the floor.

I understand this is not funny to you, I touched you and your idol.

Have a very Merry Calvinmas.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the request of the op this thread has "run its course and please close"​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.