1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do Christians Believe they have received Divine truth ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jul 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes....
    "The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people."
    G.K. Chesterton

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we go back the OP for a moment? @Iconoclast asked two questions. 1. Do posters believe what they are posting is divinely revealed truth. 2. Do they believe what they are posting are religious notions. My first post in this thread stated that it depends on the poster. If I were to turn the OP into a declarative I could confidentiality write that some posters believe they are posting divine truth while others are posting notions of one sort of another.

I think the majority of posters in this thread agree that only the Word of God is divine truth, not our interpretation or application of it.

I surmise that Icon's point is that no person of goodwill posts on a conviction they hold to without believing it is true. If they base their belief on scripture, no one can question their integrity. This does not mean their conclusion is correct. It means if they are being honest in their post (not trolling or engaging is self-aggrandizment), then we should accept the sincerity of their words.

I am not going to tip-toe around the elephant in the room. Some individuals in this thread have a history and it seems to be coloring their comments. Speaking only for myself, I think it is helpful to state that I base my doctrinal positions on scripture alone. Other sources aided my understanding but it still came down to scripture plus nothing else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#82 Reformed, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to revisit this post. It will help clear up the issue, at least for me.

@Iconoclast, do you believe that Calvinism is divine truth?

How about you, @Reformed ?

You know my view, Calvinism is my understanding of divine truth, not divine truth itself.

4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I wrote this earlier in the thread. The Word of God is divine truth. I believe Calvinism* to be true because I believe that is what the Word teaches. I do not believe my understanding is divine truth. I am still a finite being who is tainted by sin. I prefer to answer it is way so it does not appear I am elevating a doctrine above scripture. Only scripture is inspired.

*When I reference Calvinism I specifically mean the Reformed view of soteriology, not the whole of John Calvin's theology.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the reply.

To clarify, unconditional election refers to God choosing men to be saved apart from any merit in men. We both believe this. But Scripture does not frame election in that exact form (the text of Scripture allows for a couple of perspectives).

Do you believe that the context Calvinism provides in interpretation is also divinely inspired (as inspired as the text itself)?

If so, how is this not a second special revelation?

Also, is there then no objective standard for truth (as both Calvinists and non-Calvinists can claim their interpretation divine truth?

I ask because this serms very much feeling based. Scripture tells us to test these things, but if the understanding itself is considered to be divine truth (e.g., if Calvinism is considered to be divine truth rather than an understanding of divine truth) then the only test is human acceptance.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have arrived at the heart of the issue.
    Paragraph 3 walks through a summary of what this is about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO postings on this or any other Board are inspired, as none of us have Apostolic guidance, but when we quote the Bible, that is always truth, even though our understanding might be flawed!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, it is objectively based. When I consider what the Bible teaches about soteriology, I see a clear and convincing case for the Reformed view. It is not lost on me that Arminians see a clear and convincing case for their view but that does not concern me because I believe they are wrong. Let me state it another way. I believe the Bible testifies of itself that total depravity, total inability, unconditional election, the effectual call et. al are true. Similarly, the Trinity, Hypostatic Union, priesthood of believers et. al are proven correct. So, instead of saying, "Calvinism/Trinity/Hypostatic Union is divine truth", we should say that our understanding of scripture proves these doctrines to be true. This gives the final authority to scripture. Our understanding will always be involved because we have no other means of appropriating knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I agree that the final authority is Scripture.

I guess the difference is that it seems less objective when we consider that our understanding of Scripture proves certain doctrines to be true (especially when they are reasoned out doctrines).

I'd prefer to say "this is what I believe" and "this why (providing the scriptures from which the doctrine was derived)".

For example, while the kenosis is proven by Scripture to be correct (it is actually scripture itself) our doctrine of the kenosis is less objective. The same is true with the doctrine of the Trinity. The Trinity is a biblical truth. But when we look at many of our doctrines they get into philosophical issues (e.g., what constitutes "person", what constitutes "separate", etc).

I think it is always best to simply state our belief and then discuss/ provide scripture to back up our understanding.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. :Thumbsup

In fact, I had made the same observation a couple of pages ago to a few others. I believe that this is obvious when we go down the flow of the posts.

11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what most of us do on a regular basis. I think the OP had a specific purpose for phrasing things the way it did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree (on both accounts).

The best lecture/ sermon I heard on the differing opinions in terms of Calvinism and non-Calvinism (and the finite state of the "human condition") was by C.H. Spurgeon. It was in his sermon "God's will, Man's will" (one of my favorites, under "Chosen Portions and a set of Spurgeon's notes that had been gifted me a few years ago).

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Ain't nobody missin with you but you" :Roflmao:Roflmao:Laugh:Laugh:Roflmao:Roflmao

(Listening to a D&C concert)

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon on this:

"It is one thing to believe in the doctrines of grace, but quite another thing to accept all the encrustations which have formed upon those doctrines and also a very different matter to agree with the spirit which is apparent in some who profess to propagate the pure truth." ― "Rivers Of Water In A Dry Place"

#94 Jerome, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Studying The Bible is fun.

The Divine Inspiration of The Bible has been Superintended and Preserved to this day.

The Bible Contains The Divinely Inspired Revelation of The Trice-Holy, Divine, Eternal Godhead.

The Believer's soul that has been Spiritually Re-generated from the dead, is now a Partaker of The Divine Nature.

Christian's Receive Divine Truth.

Jesus said, "I Came not to Judge the World, but the Words I Speak into you, They Will Judge them at the Last Day."

How did He Know His Words would be Recorded, Preserved and read by us, and then to be there to Judge with, at the Last Day?

Jesus is Divine.

I know that Divine Revelation of God, as a Christian.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the OP is now banned this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.