1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do others know you are Christian?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, Jun 7, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I see in another thread a lot of people saying that the best way to witness for Christ is by example, and I agree - to a point.

The thing is, a lot of non-Christians do a lot of Christian-like-activities. Mormons, Scientologists, even athiests take care of the poor, feed the hungry, raise money for the sick. If we don't take the time to TELL people that the real difference is Christ. . . will they KNOW that the love you show is His love?

How do you make sure that people know it is Christ and not humanistic?

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

An interesting note about the title "Christian"

It was the unbelievers that first called the disciples "Christians." What the world saw in those early disciples was a Christ-like character and power. Would the world today call the Christians in America "Christians" had the word not already been established? Would they see us like Jesus in character and power? It saddens me to hear the world now calling us .. hypocrites! I am afraid we have a name that we are alive, but dead. Let us examine the reasons for this falling away.

Source: http://www.therealchurch.com/

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus would not have agreed with those who say they witness by their life only. Jesus didn't even proclaim the kingdom by his example only.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Preach it GB

5. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Hypocrisy will always reduce the effectiveness of our words.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

True humility will increase the effectiveness of our words. Everyone knows people do wrong. Humility shows how we handle disappointments and other adversities that come our way.

7. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is funny that I see this thread.

This morning before leaving work my partner and I were talking with our relief crew. One of the incoming crew members was laughing about the affairs of he has on his wife. The other two people were joking along with him. This got me thinking.

I simply asked him why he stayed with his wife since he has numerous affairs and acts as if his marriage is horrible. (No, I was not advocating divorce, I was simply asking) Anyway, my partner gets so offended because he claimed I was preaching, that he rushes out the door. All three of them told me I was preaching to them. All I did was pose a simple question. To make a long story short he said he understood why I would not cheat on my wife because I am "saved". I told him God changes a person. That really did not sit well with them. My partner had come back in and when he heard that he left again. Everybody was mad at me.

People can be muslim and they will not shun them at work. People can be anything they want to, but if they suspect you say something moral when you are a christian then you are preaching AT them.

My point is that they know I am a Christian. It is seen as acceptable to go to church but when you try to live for God it offends people. Ever noticed that??

In Christ,

Brooks

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not too shocking, when you take into account the "MASTER" of each belief system.

Just look at modern society.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

From my experience in ministry the majority (there are a few exceptions) of people who claim to witness by their "lifestyle" alone use that as an excuse for not wanting to actually talk to someone about Christ.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I know, yes, everyone I know on a first name basis knows that I am a Christian (as well as a few others who I'm not so familiar with).

HankD