1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do We Baptists bekieve God Still Heals Today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 12, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

My Church does have a time after the main service where people come forward to have prayers with the "Pastoral prayer team"...

Sometimes we do pray and ask the Lord to heal someone of their illness, but ALWAYS pray if it be in the Will of God...

And do allow God to answer by directly healing. supplying medicine, surgery, even by allowing person to "pass"...

Do other baptist Churches practice the same?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church believes and practices the same doctrine. God can intervene and heal. But the gift of healing, which God used to authenticate His message by miracles, ended in the first century, so we are "cessionalists." We know that God can heal, and that God can require a person's soul that very night. Paul prayed and was not healed. He concluded that God's grace was sufficient for him. When my life was at risk, I pondered whether I thought God's grace (my salvation) was sufficient, or whether I needed more. We all must face this dilemma.

So I, and others in my local church assembly, regularly pray and ask God clearly for what we desire, for the health and protection of ourselves and our loved ones. This is solidly scriptural. But as we ask God to help us and help those caring for others, we are mindful that we do not desire to ask anything other than what God in His sovereignty wills in this circumstance, because His grace is sufficient for each and everyone of us.

God Bless

#2 Van, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I think that this takes care of it:
    (Jas 5:13) Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

(Jas 5:14) Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

(Jas 5:15) And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.