1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do We Bow Down Enough in Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mark Corbett, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but being afraid of hypocrisy might not be the only motive.

There are also may be motives related to fear of what others will think, too much emphasis on traditions, and just wanting to be comfortable.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see the lack among Anglo-American Baptists as hypocrisy, I see it as a well founded severe allergic reaction to popery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say this as Baptists not kneeling during corporate prayer is not a new phenomenon. I would hazard to say not kneeling has been Anglo-American Baptist practice for well over three hundred years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally though I do practice kneeling on occasion for prayer, after some consideration, to me it's not an issue.

HankD (former Catholic)

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My problem is once I get down I can't get back up. But God looks at the posture of my heart, not my crippled up legs. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Long ago, I served in a church that still used the kneeling benches. I thought them quite old fashioned, until I saw the assembly earnestly pleading.

As one who long ago lost the oil out of the knee joints, it is not so much a problem because the work of gravity helps me get down, but have an enormous problem with gravity not desiring me to get back up.

One of the great example of prayer is given in Exodus 33.

Here is an article that would be a good read for those serious about their own prayer life. Scriptures are used throughout it for support.

The Presence of God with His People

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep! The part of the world where I live is the retirement capital of the UK. Half my congregation couldn't get down to kneel and the other half couldn't get up again! The spirit may be willing but the flesh is decidedly weak.
    At the present time I am blessed to be able to get up and down without too much problem, but how long that will last I cannot tell.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said clapping is for entertainment only?

9. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Baptists are afraid of being like the Charismatics.

10. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I often take a blog post and modify it and then post it on Baptist Board for discussion. But with this topic, I started with the discussion. After listening to your thoughts and ideas I wrote a blog post on this topic. I don't think it contains much new to this discussion, but if anyone is interested in reading my attempt at sharing what I've learned from Scriptures and this discussion with y'all, you may read my blog post here.

Feel free to return here and share comments if you have any (in addition to what you've already helpfully shared).

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor me!... Here is an interesting story that happened to me in the Marines... In our church we do not have prayer benches and I don't believe I was ever in a church that did... I was serving in a funeral detail after I returned from Nam and we were told to march in and remain standing... The Marine in front of me had never seen a prayer bench either... So when we turned into the pews he hit the prayer bench which was lowered and tried to keep his balance... Me following right behind him followed suit as we both stumbled and almost fell into the front pews:eek:... Luckily for both of us we didn't end up in the front pew:oops:... That is one Marine Corp embarrassment of the past I can do without... Now I'm like TC I don't kneel anymore as it would take the congregation to get me up... I'm thankful that God looks at the posture of the heart... Brother Glen:Redface

• Like Like x 2
  12. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We would be shocked the way people worship God in third world countries like many in Africa. We had a missionary come to our church to present the work. He showed us a video on their kids singing and worshipping God. They were dancing and clapping while singing to God. Most of my brethren in the states would have a fit if they did that here lol
    Look, I'm against the charismatic movement because of their horrible theology, but to say that clapping, raising hands, shouting amen and even dancing cannot be issued as worship is equivalent to saying that you must wear a suit and tie to church to look the best for God.
    If the bible doesn't say something is a sin, it is better to leave it as a gray area and not split hairs about it. At the end of the day, it comes down to "whatever is not from faith is sin" (Rom.14:23).

• Like Like x 1