1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do we have any KJV Only here?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by evangelist6589, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHICH NKJV, NIV, NASB, ESV or Nestle-Aland critical Greek text is the true words of God? All of these have undergone several "revisions" over the years and yet you still call them "the" NKJV, NIV, NASB, ESV and "the" Greek.

the American Bible Society, no friend to the King James Bible, had this to say about the "revisions" of the King James Bible. The American Bible Society wrote, "The English Bible, as left by the translators (of 1611), has come down to us unaltered in respect to its text." They further stated, "With the exception of typographical errors and changes required by the progress of orthography in the English language, the text of our present Bibles remains unchanged, and without variation from the original copy as left by the translators" (Committee on Versions to the Board of Managers, American Bible Society, 1852).

The underlying Hebrew and Greek texts that make up the King James Bible have never changed. Not a single word. And now we have better and improved means to print our Bibles and so hardly any of these printing errors are going to slip through.

This is in sharp contrast to the DELIBERATE and conscious TEXTUAL changes that are made in the ever changing ESVs, NIVs, NASBs and NKJVs which have to copyright their works every time they make these changes.

There is only one copyright date on the King James Bible and that is 1611. The reason you will not see different copyright dates is because it has never been “revised”. All they have done is to correct some minor printing typos that have occurred at various times through innumerable printings of the King James Bible.

“Samuel Ward was involved in the ongoing proofing of the KJV text after its publication in 1611. The only changes of the KJV since 1611 were of three types:

1. 1612: Typography (from Gothic to Roman Type).

2. 1629 & 1638: Correction of typographical errors

3. 1762 & 1769: Standardization of spelling...

If you want to get a copy of God's complete, inspired and inerrant words, simply get a Cambridge printing of the King James Bible. You can also get one at either of these two publishing houses.

A great place to buy quality made King James Holy Bibles

Bearing Precious Seed

http://www.bpsmilford.org

And here is another one

http://www.localchurchbiblepublishers.com/"

Above quotes from:

http://brandplucked.webs.com/answerwhitewhichkjb.htm
    http://brandplucked.webs.com/printingerrors.htm

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean a strawman.
    all of us KJVO people are simply traditionalists who think everything new is evil and wicked
    [/quote]
    That's a core element of your sect.
    They are very valuable. What are you comparing them with?
    I am not a textual critic. You meant your instead of you're.
    I see you have swallowed the whole of David Cloud's stuff. Tis a pity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a core element of your sect.

They are very valuable. What are you comparing them with?

I am not a textual critic. You meant your instead of you're.

I see you have swallowed the whole of David Cloud's stuff. Tis a pity.[/QUOTE]

Tis a pity that people want come on here and start a fire!... The KJVO battle seems to go on and on... Christian folk prefer what they read... Whatever translation they read from. I prefer and quote from the KJV... That is the one I read and that is the one I prefer and in my seventy years on this earth I have been trying to understand and follow what I prefer... I don't want to read any other translation I am happy with the KJV and I am sure what ever translations you read you are happy and satisfied with yours... The trouble I find is when someone tries to shove another translation down someone elses throat... Forced religion is not Christianity no matter what your intention!... Brother Glen

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apocrypha was removed from the Old Testament and placed between the Testaments and carries no more authority than any other extra-biblical writings such as concordances, lexicons, or lists of people. The AV of 1611 was the official bible of the Anglican Communion (Church of England) and their doctrinal statement makes it clear the Apocrypha is NOT scripture.

The 39 Articles, the official doctrinal statement of the Church of England says:
    The same way they got saved after 1611, and 1511, 1411, 1311, 1211, 1111, 1011, and so on.
    Uh, well, no. There were several editions between 1611 and 1760 that, although they corrected errors and made some changes did not rise to the level of a revision.

There have been three major revisions, the 1760/62 which was the culmination of twenty-years work by Francis Parris. The 1760 edition was reprinted without change in 1762.

Then the 1769 Oxford edition, largely the work of Benjamin Blayney.

Then the 1873 edition, the Cambridge Paragraph Bible with F. H. A. Scrivener as its primary editor.

Which one is inspired? All of them. Or none of them. Depending on whether or not you understand derivative inspiration.

All bible versions are vested with derivative inspiration due to their being derived from the inspired words found in the Hebrew and Greek textucopia.

However, none are inspired in the verbal and plenary way the autographs were inspired.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is the KJV more accurate than the previous English translations?

• Like Like x 1
  6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both "best" and "most reliable" are subjective opinions and therefore without merit in any discussion of New Testament textual criticism.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Corrupted? What do you mean?

Contain? What do you mean?

Edit: and we have another kjvo throw down / dead horse beating.
    I'm sure THIS time the issue will be settled.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, well, actually, no.

There are 421 significant changes from the 1611 to the 1769 and about 136 of those are changes of substance such that they change the meaning of the verse.

As to copyright. The KJV was copyrighted in 1611 and it is still under copyright in the United Kingdom. It carries a "Crown Patent in Perpetuity" which means it is the property of the British Crown and will continued to be copyrighted until 50 years after the demise of the British Crown.

#28 TCassidy, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    n accordance with this Forum's Rules, this thread is closed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.