1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do We Love the Brethren?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't think the apostle John was the Lord's 'favorite'?

[edit] refer back to my original question:

"Would I be using these greek words correctly here?:

I have agape towards all those who profess to love Christ, but there are few that I phileo."

#41 kyredneck, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It is interesting how it is so easy to say I love all men and then point to my virtuous deeds, or if not literally pointing to them holding them as personal virtue within myself. Doing good deeds does not necessarily equal love for another. Love confronts and speaks truth as well as pouring in the oil that heals the bodies and hearts of man. Allowing another to remain in their lost state because of laws, or those who hold authority is not love. Jesus said that we are to love as He loved by laying down our lives one for the other.This has nothing to do with war, fighting for freedom or even protecting the family. He spoke truth and it cost Him His life. We are to do the same. Yes we need to feed and heal and speak kind words when we can, but the main point is to go and tell even if it violates the laws and commands of men costing us our positions, family, and yes even our life. This is what Jesus did and this is what shows love to our brother (fellow man). The brotherly love that the bible speaks of is not about great emotional feelings over the physical or emotional needs of man but rather is the seeing the greatest need of all and acting on it. Their need to hear the word of God even at the expense of our own life if so need be.

#42 freeatlast, Jan 19, 2011
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you say Geek or Greek?:smilewinkgrin:

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have said 'Greek' with a capital G instead of 'greek' (I think).

#44 kyredneck, Jan 19, 2011
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I hear Greek I envision a studious "GEEK".....but you know I was joking. My sainted brother studies Greek....Thats the highlight of his fun...."Dork" also comes to mind, but then again someone has to study Greek & someone has to clean the fish. And Im somewhere in between..LOL Such is life!

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's wide variety amongst the saints in the Lord's Kingdom. Each of us bear our fruit in it's season. I've great respect for the scholars, I had a desire to take that road once, but it wasn't meant to be. My question to glfredrick is genuine because I think that he would know the correct usage of the Greek words, and if I'm expressing myself correctly with those Greek words:

"Would I be using these greek words correctly here?:

I have agape towards all those who profess to love Christ, but there are few that I phileo."

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know brother, I googled them myself in order to understand the context & would be interested to hear Doc Glfred's understanding of it as well.

Ky, you would have made a good scholar.....If you have the money & time, why not take a course or two? I don't think your ever too old..... Look at Di Vinci ..... in his 80's & still "I'm still learning"

BTW, Pope Clement payed the Humanist Erasmus to write (De libero arbitrio) the treatise on free will & also help distribute it through out Europe. It was Luther who defended reformed thinking uncompromisingly.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...lol, trust me, it's still not meant to be, besides, The Lord has indeed filled my cup where I'm at now.

Just got a call from Dad, we're probably taking Mom to the hospital, gotta go....

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I felt towards Snow I have stated in print.

But that is not what I feel towards anyone else, even those outside my local church.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You are so far away from what I believe the bible shows as Christian love there is nothing I can say to you about it.

If you feel that the Lord has put you in the congregation where you are taught what I consider to be lies concerning others who name the name of Christ, then you will simply have to answer to God about it.

The one characteristic that true Christians who are in obedience to God have is love; love for other Christians as well as love for the lost world. If you are blind to this then so be it.

You and your group (I am unable to say church since your understanding about love is foreign to the teachings I read in the scripture) represent the worst things the lost see in the church. Yet you seem to not only refuse to see your error, you actually seem to take pride in what I see as anti-Christian behavior.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am going to follow somebody's advice and laugh you off.....ROTFL...

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hope & pray all is well!

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

While you are on the floor, you might want to repent of your lack of love toward the brethren.

Although I don't use the Ignore feature, I will refrain from responding to most of what you say in the future. It isn't worth the effort considering your lack of love.

I will pray for you!

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am amazed at how ignorant some are who claim to know Greek and the knowledge among those who do know Greek well, but do not make such claims.

15. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rotfl. Rotfl.

16. mets65

mets65 New Member

I apologize, I was out of line.

#56 mets65, Jan 19, 2011
  17. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to fairly warn you: you are judging my eternal standing, and that is a violation of the rules on this board.

18. mets65

mets65 New Member

Pinoy.

I'm very sorry, my emotions got the best of me I was very hypocritical in my post.

19. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    don't worry about it.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

In answer to the OP.....apparently we do not. :tear: