1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you agree with this statement?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. PeterM

PeterM Member

It may be worth noting that JRW Stott is an Annihilationist.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Oh, OK, I see you believe the Judgement seat and the GWT are in a courtroom.:laugh:

I'm a child of God, if anything, I am a libertarian, not a legalist.

I'll stick to precepts and principles from the Bible.

Nope, it pleased God to bruise him, God crushed Jesus for sin, this only relates to his body and not his death. he gave up the ghost and was not "killed".

It's quite conrary to what you have said that God "killed" him.

When God chooses to not remember, he chooses to forget. He is God.

Um, conclusion, not cofusion.

An action of God does not always fall into the realm of anything to do with specific time as Jesus being as a Lamb slain has no subjectivity to the timing of His death. Just as God chooses to forget what He chose not to remember. He forgets the past sins in forgivenesses. He cannot lie. If he chose to not forget what He chose not to remember, then there would be due suspicion he could lie. He cannot, nor will not.

It suffices although you must have it spelled out for you.

Now answer how it is smoking is considered a sin when it is never even mentioned in Scripture? You can't, except to apply a precept.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What? That doesn’t even make any sense.

You clearly have no idea what the conversation is even about. When I say that justification is forensic or legal, we mean that it is not something you earn. It is by grace alone through faith alone. It is a declaration from God that you are viewed as righteous. It is the doctrine of imputation. The opposite of forensic justification is the Catholic doctrine of righteousness where righteousness is infused, not imputed. So learn what you are talking about before making fun of those who already know.
    Then you will greatly benefit from Stott’s work. He later became an annihilationist, though I don’t think he was when he wrote the book. Stott’s book is as thoroughly biblical a book on the atonement as there is. It is rather lengthy and won’t make good bed time reading for most, however. You will actually have to think when you read it.
    You are wrong. Isaiah 53 is about his death. The bruising was the killing.
    No, confusion. You made a statement about Jesus being slain from the foundation of the world and yet dying 2000 years ago. I am questioning why you are confused about that. It has no relevance to this discussion.
    So if he chooses to forget something in your terms, that means he doesn’t know it anymore. That means he is not omniscient, which is false doctrine. Is that what you believe? Do you really believe that God does not know everything?
    You have yet to quote any Scripture in actual support of your claim. You cited Micah 7 which has nothing to do with forgetting, as you can tell from reading the verse.

I wouldn’t say it is a sin, necessarily.

Scripture doesn’t spell out every single sin. But we are not talking about sin. We are talking about something very clear. The Bible says that God knows everything. You say he doesn’t. Who should we believe?

How does a God who knows everything forget something? Where does Scripture say that God forgets things?

In the end, you can see how devoid of Scripture your posts are. You are totally clueless, it sounds like.

4. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I think that was after he wrote The Cross of Christ. Nonetheless, The Cross of Christ remains among the best books on the atonement that is available.

5. Beth

Beth New Member

I like that

I like this...that would be my opinion as well. If the Lord treated ME in the future the way I have acted in the past, well.....I'm sunk!:tonofbricks: Thank the Lord He has justified me through His Atoning Sacrifice!

I find the challenge to love and forgive unconditionally, even our enemies!

Lu 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

release thyself from thy chains of your mindset, and it will.

Um, isn't the science of forensics used where something is dead! I am quickened by the Spirit and washed clean in the Blood of Christ. Jesus is alive!
    Better than the Bible, huh?
    I'll stick with the Bible.
    The you're saying that the Bible is wrong where Jesus gave up the ghost! You cannot have both.
    Did not, I said what the Bible states, that Jesus was AS a Lamb slain, learn the difference.
    He knows everything He chooses to remember. That exemplifies His Omniscience coupled with His Omnipotence. You set God at odds with Himself by denying this fact.
    Error. You had best take the context into consideration or you will continue to trip over the precept.

The Holy Ghost showed me it was sin in my life. Are you calling Him a liar, or are you saying it was only a sin for me and it's alright for others?

As it does not "spell out" every precept either.

Show ONCE where I 've said "God doesn't know everything"?

Isaiah 43:25 says: "I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake,
    and will not remember thy sins." Now apply I John 1:9 and ask yourself this question; "How is it God cleanses me of something He doesn't forget, although He forgave me?"

Remember:1: to bring to mind or think of again ; to keep in mind for attention or consideration; to retain in the memory; to convey greetings from

Now apply the opposite to these definitions by the word "not".

Forget: to lose the remembrance of : be unable to think of or recall; to treat with inattention or disregard; to disregard intentionally; to cease remembering or noticing <forgive and forget>

I think you're too caught up in what you've said and are to prideful to ADMIT YOUR MISTAKE.

The dictionary disagrees with your premise as much as the Bible does.

To choose not to remember is to choose to forget, or will you continue to argue to the contrary and keep looking so foolish?

#46 Salamander, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I see larry has nothing more to say concerning God forgetting what He chose not to remember.:sleep:

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Not at all. You are once again demonstrating that you don’t know what you are talking about. Forensic deals with legal matters.
    So am I. Irrelevant to this though.
    No. But the Bible isn’t a book about the atonement, per se.
    Stott will help you understand it, and will deepen your love for Christ and what he did for you.
    No, once again, you simply don’t know what you are talking about.
    I know what you said. It simply doesn’t make any sense in this conversation.
    the Bible teaches that God knows everything. You teach he does not. You are wrong.
    I read Micah 7 in Hebrew this week again, confirming my point that forgetting is not mentioned in that verse. It is not in the context.
    I am not calling him a liar. I had a guy tell me one time that the Holy Spirit told him it was okay to live with his girlfriend. So it is quite possible to mistake your own thinking for the Holy Spirit. Furthermore, yes there are some things that are sin for one person and not for another, as Romans 14 makes clear. As for smoking, I think it is silly and destructive. I tend to think it is sin because of its addictive nature. But I won’t die on that hill. But again, off topic.
    Here’s two and I could cite a lot more. It is in virtually every post you have put in this thread: “He knows everything He chooses to remember.” “In His Omnipotence he chooses not to remember them! Simply put: He forgets the ones He's forgiven.”
    Because God not remember our transgressions means that he does not remember them against it.
    Nice personal attack. It seems your only recourse when you have no Bible and no apparent understanding of the issues involved.
    Knowing what one is talking about doesn’t make them look foolish. This is a case where Scripture simply doesn’t support you. Badgering me about it won’t change that.
    There’s lots more to say, but it gets boring saying the same thing over again and you not giving any answers. The fact remains: 1) A God who knows everything cannot not know something. That means he does not forget. 2) Scripture does not say that God forgets our sins as you say he does. So you contradict the clear teaching of Scripture about the nature of God, and have created a god that doesn’t exist. It is called idolatry. I am not going to keep going in circles with you. The truth is what I have said. YOu have yet to make a biblical argument about it. You should devote more time to understanding who God is and what he did for you, and less time making personal attacks against people who have.

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

OK, Larry so you cannot receive the definitions found in a dictionary and what the Bible says verses what you think, that is conclusive.

All you like to do is create some level of contention and then act upon it without using any common sense in the matter.:sleep:

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Dictionary definitions depend on the use. Furthermore, what is more important are theological definitions and theological meaning. You are unable to deal with that. Rather than quote Scripture, you quote a dictionary ... of English no less. That's revealing.

Actually, I am the one using common sense ... the common sense of looking at the Scripture to see what God is like rather than looking at the dictionary.

So the question remains:

1) How does a God who knows everything not know something? He can't choose to not know somethign and still know everything. Talk about common sense ... use it here.

2) Where does Scripture say that God forgets our sins in the way that you say he does?

Until you answer these two questions, there is no resolution. Dodging them won't help.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

1st thing is you're not God and God chooses what He remembers and what He does NOT remember. It cannot be made any simpler for your inquisitive mind

2nd is the not remembering is forgetting. Care to explain how it is anything different?:laugh:

A dictionary is a tool used to define words found in the Bible. It is not like you would paint this picture as if the Bible is somehow disassociated with word definitions.:tongue3:

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

At least we agree on that.

This is not an answer. How does a God who knows all things choose not to know something? That is impossible. He can forget, but then he no longer knows everything. Surely you can see the contradiction there can't you?

It has nothing to do with simplicity. It has to do with revelation and the nature of God. God has revealed himself as a God who knows everything. You are saying that God doesn't know everything because he forgets it. Surely you can see the contradiction there can't you?

I already did. It is to not use it against for judgment. If you study forgiveness in the Bible you will see that that is what it is.

Think about this. We are commanded to forgive as God in Christ forgave us. So if God's forgiveness includes forgetting, how can we do that? We will likely never forget when people hurt us severely. Yet we can "not remember it to use it against them."

I think you simply haven't thought very hard about the nature of God and the meaning of forgiveness.

It is actually a tool to define words found everywhere. But when dealing with theological terms and theological ideas, we need to use a theological dictionary. A dictionary was not written to reveal the nature of God. The Bible was, and we need to define words according to Bible usage. You are going about it backwards. You are starting with the dictionary and then going to the Bible. Start with the Bible.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

You say this and then:

God obviously has some power men do not, wouldn't you agree?

No contradiction when I see through a glass darkly which some see nothing at all.

thus the reason God forgets what He's forgiven. he's God!

we as men live in a state of forgiving the tresspass eventually count things as this as but dung. We flush it out of our memories. Try applying the grace of God that allows you to do this and everytime the devil brings it back to mind? Flush again!:godisgood:

You keep running into this raodblock which i have avoided and moved on past it. may I suggest you do the same?

I started with the Bible and sought out the definitions which aptly coincide with each passage we mentioned. They concur with one another.:godisgood:

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, but that doesn't include the power to be nonsensical. Either he knows everything or he doesn't. Which is it?

There is a contradiction. You simply don't see it.

Which roadblock is that?

No you didn't. You created a contradiction by applying a definition of "forget" that is human, not divine.

So you still haven't answered the questions.

1) How does a God who knows everything not know something?
    2) Where does the Bible teach what you teach?

You keep dodging this, but it doesn't go away.

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Then you ultimately disagree with Is 55:8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
    9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Said the blind man with a tear.:laugh: No, there's something you don't see. It's called God's way of forgetting what he's chosen not to remember.

The mental one.

No, I applied a human contradiction to that which is Divine and I received enlightenment concerning what God chooses not to remember he chooses to forget it.

define "everything", but don't forget to include everything God chose not to remember and see where that gets you!:laugh:
    Micah 7 for starters.

Then it is up to you to wipe the mote out of your eye.:thumbs:

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No I don't. That verse is irrelevant to this. Besides that is about turning from sin and seeking God.

Then show me. I have asked you two simple questions: 1) How does a God who knows everything not know something? 2) Where does the Bible say what you said?

You haven't answered either.

That doesn't even make sense.

That doesn't either.

Everything is everything. How does God know everything and not know something?
    We have already seen that Micah 7 doesn't talk about forgetting. (Read it and see for yourself.)

Just answer the questions already.

17. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo New Member

Forgiveness

Forgiveness is getting the hope that things can be different with the Lord in charge!!!:laugh: :thumbs:

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board. :wavey:

Ed