1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you consume alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 17, 2013.

?
  1. Yes....but, only when I need it to take the edge off!

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. No....

38 vote(s)
    58.5%
  3. Wine...wine coolers....

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. Beer...

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Whisky....hard liquor

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  6. Mixed drinks

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  7. Cocktails....

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. None of yours, or anyone elses business....

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. I used to drink....am a member of AA!

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. Drinking is not unbiblical....I drink in moderation!

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to see "and why" added to the question.

Some will say they enjoy the taste, but that's an acquired taste. No one, unless he was born with numb tastebuds or no gag reflex, likes the taste of this rot right off.

So, the "and why" should be expanded to, "why did you start?".

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've always liked the taste of beer, so your hypothesis has been proven false from the start.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So why do folks drink the first time if the stuff doesn't taste good? If it tastes the way it smells, God help those who drink.:laugh:

I think folks just like that buzz and what it does. I wonder how many folks on here consume marijuana too?

Good question.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You sound like the exception rather than the rule.:laugh:

5. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Because it taste good is no answer. There are tons of non alcoholic beverages out there that taste good, so why would a Christian choose a alcoholic drink over other drinks to quench his thirst ?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why do people drink coffee? Same faulty reasoning applies.

When are other believers going to truly adhere to the priesthood of the believer concerning manmade traditions...and unless you have taken the nazarite vow...that is what abstinence merely is.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why does a believer choose potato chips over a baked potato or salad to quench his hunger? Why does a believer drink Mountain Dew over a glass of water to quench his thirst?

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The wording of the poll title grabbed me (Do you Concume Alcohol?) and reminded me of an experience I had a few months ago.

Recently I attended a counseling session for friends and family members of people being counseled for alcoholism. I had an interesting and (for me) somewhat amusing exchange with the therapist.

Therapist (addressing me): "So do you use alcohol?"

Me: "No, I don't use alcohol, anymore than I use a potato. I occasionally drink alcohol."

By using the word "use" in relation to the consumption of alcohol the therapist was attempting to lump me in with the addicts. I thought it was a despicable attempt (though it may have been unintentional)

The therapist then went on to assert that alcohol addiction is a sickness and the user has no choice in the matter. He contended the latest research shows that extended use of alcohol "rewires" the pleasure centers of the brain to the point where a person has no control over their choices. This piqued my interest and I explored this assertion.

Me: "I like ice cream. I eat ice cream every day. It's pleasurable to me. My brain is wired to enjoy the taste of ice cream. Am I addicted?"

Therapist: "No."

(Even though my definition met all of his qualifications for addiction as it related to alcohol, I was not addicted to ice cream. It was an enlightening couple of hours as I learned the state of psychology as it relates to alcoholism.)

Bottom line is that it is possible to drink in moderation.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Quite possibly, but it proves Error'n wrong either way.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron...granted its not sweet but Ive always liked beer...specifically lager & I like good vodka..especially over ice & a few olives. Good east European brandy and French orange brandy (good for a cold winters day) and golden Porto (get it from Portugal) and some California red wines are delicious. But I will agree with you though, Bourbon goes down like a rake and GOOD SCOTCH is an acquired taste

#30 Earth Wind and Fire, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  11. LillyoftheValley

LillyoftheValley New Member

I am assuming that the reason your mother begged you not to follow in your fathers footsteps is because he did NOT show moderation. I don't WANT or NOT WANT my children to drink. I merely want them to know that if they do, there is a correct way and a wrong way.

Would you also advocate that it is my husband's fault if he shows our children how to properly use a gun, but one of them later on in life shoots someone?

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Really, condemn me to what?

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can tell that you've never had a margarita with chips and salsa.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RIGHT! :thumbsup: And if you are developing into a boozer then its your choice to either stop it (because its a weakness) or loose everything. Thats the trade off. Look my brother is both a IFB Pastor & an Alcoholic. My Wife, her mother & sister (probably niece) are alcoholics. My Grandfather & my Dad were .....SO WHAT? Dad stopped, my wife stopped, my brother stopped. Nobody's putting a gun to anyones heads. Thats called character.....anyone who dont stops are character flawed and are probably self absorbed.

15. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

My mother didn't beg me, she only ask me. My father was not a Christian, he was not the town drunk but he pulled drunks, as we call it and when he did he would raise the roof. There is no comparison with drinking and using a gun, that would be like teaching your children to eat one bite at a time to keep from choking to death.

16. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it's an answer. Milk tastes good. So does Coke. I would rather drink Coke with a hamburger than milk because Coke goes with a hamburger, while milk doesn't.

You can have two things that taste good, but not taste anything alike, and prefer the taste of one in a given circumstance.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or a burger & a beer!:laugh: In my case, Guinness draught. :love2:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Im really wondering is how many opposed to this moderate drinking thing are Southern. In the North East this topic would most likely never come up. Yankees are mostly from recent (1 or 2 generations) European back grounds that almost drink from infantry. Life is about having a beer or a glass of wine with meals & moderate drinking is accepted.

The wifes fathers people are Muellers.... thats Miller in this country....of the Miller Brewing company in Milwaukee WI so not only are they Ethnic Germans but brew masters. There culture is beer & wine (and they all think Miller Beer is crap) But they all drink good beer & often & they drink it like its water.:love2:

19. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am not what I consider a regular drinker. I generally do not drink, but I have, and will when I want to.

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Life in the Yankeed Northeast is also pronouncely against the way of Christ in so many different aspects.

The Northeast is the California of the east coast.