1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you sometimes feel guilty when you've got something which you enjoy?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 26, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Right now I really enjoy watching the soccer world cup.
    But somehow I also feel like God might be jealous and maybe he doesn't like that I have something which I enjoy, as if he doesn't grant me something which I like but which has nothing to do with him. Do you think that God is like this or do you think that this might also be Satan who tries to make me feel guilty and give me the impression that God is a grinch? :confused:

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

It depends. Is watching world cup soccer your "idol?" Meaning does it consume all your time that you have no time for prayer, mediation of Scripture and the study of Scripture?

If it doesn't take time away from that then there is no reason to feel guilty about kicking back and enjoying a contest of the pitch. Not my cup of tea, but hey :) (not a big soccer fan myself).

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Well, I could of course pray while watching soccer but if I was not watching soccer I would be doing something else. :confused:
    Because during the day I hardly ever find the peace to pray, it simply doesn't work when there is noise at home. I cannot focus this way. But in order to pray I need to be kinda focused and then everything disturbs me.

#3 xdisciplex, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Praying throughout the day does not have to be some long drawn out thing. Sometimes it just needs to be a quick sentence or a quick claim to a promise. Don't let Satan lie to you and tell you that you need complete peace and quiet to pray. He knows the power of prayer and he is just trying to side track you.

Now as to you saying that if you weren't watching soccer you would be doing something else. If that is true for every part of your day, which would mean there is zero time for prayer, meditation of Scripture or study of Scripture, then a re-evalutation may be in order.

But that is between you and the Holy Spirit.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

The problem is if I wanna talk to God I really need some time and also quiet to focus. And then everything bothers me. Every noise distracts me. I find it really hard to get all my thoughts together if there is noise.

6. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

Recreation and positive passtimes are an important part of living a balanced life. So long as as we don't put these things before God and the responsibilities that he has given us, I don't see a problem.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

spectator sports

Why non participants enjoy watching spectator sports?

Is the sports craze encouraged by our owners to keep the population under control and ignorant such as was the old Roman "bread and circuses?"

8. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Dude, I feel guilty for not feeling guilty of course I feel guilt about things that I enjoy.

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

why not?
    It's cool when your team wins. :praise:

10. gekko

gekko New Member

i've got clothes. i enjoy those clothes. for without those clothes i would be ashamed.

i dont feel guilty about enjoying my clothes.

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hmmmm....
    but is it even possible that God is always no.1?
    I mean let's say you get a new car then aren't you totally pumped about your car and think about it all day? Does God directly become angry when you think about your car more than you think about him? Does God count the seconds you think about him and the seconds you think about other things and unless he's no.1 he gets angry?
    Is this even possible? I mean when you work 5 hours every day then you work more than you pray or is anybody here who prays more than 5 hours? Is it even possible to spend more time with God than you do anything else?

12. gekko

gekko New Member

sounds like that leads to legalism.

13. gekko

gekko New Member

if whatever you enjoy is taking over your desire for God. then get rid of it.

i go to school for 7 hours a day. but it doesnt take over my desire for God.
    i longboard a couple hours a few days a week. but it doesnt take over my desire for God.
    i play guitar every day. but it doesnt take over my desire for God.

14. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Okay, but can it not still be a problem if you spend more time with other things than you spend with God?

15. gekko

gekko New Member

how many hours do you sleep a day? i tend to sleep 7 or so hours...

i dont think God's got a problem with that...

16. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

That's true. I also like sleeping. :sleeping_2: