1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you teach...?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Aug 2, 2020.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we would disagree as to the exchange ability of the words ethics and morals.

There are many moral men who remain moral merely because it is of social, religious, family, or some other external expectation (employment rules) necessitating the conformity. I suggest that these have no ethical stability and are ultimately doomed to personal failure.

Moral people who base morals such upon predetermined unchangeable internal ethics do not ultimately fail even when others around them conspire.

Joseph is an example of a life of ethics.

By teaching the building of ethics, then morals don’t find shifting parameters of relativity.

David was a moral man, but he was not ethical or he would not have allowed for his personal compromise. The same could be said of some others such as Noah, Judas (the betrayer), Pilot, ...

I am assuming you also place responsibility on the work of the Holy Spirit to build ethical behavior. That certainly has a place, however, Timothy was instructed to “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.”

This is not a matter of Spirit, but of ethical character built upon personal determination.

Ethics require development and determination.

The results are born out in moral behavior.

One with honorable ethics will live honorably.

One with little or no ethics will be as a ship with no rudder.

2. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I understand your method of using the words. It doesn't bother me in general, unless you try to force it on others—that would be unethical, though you might argue otherwise, if your ethics are based on personal preference rather than on God's.

But I must challenge the notion that one cannot or will not fail in following what you describe as ethics. Your assessment of David is simply untrue.

For the Christian, everything good is accomplished by the power of God, as we would not be capable without His Holy Spirit, though I'm beginning to wonder here what Calvinists really believe regarding synergism vs monergism. What you describe sounds like monergism solely dependent on man, which I would call humanism.

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think of two problems in the thinking you presented.

1) David had a problem with being impetuous. To ignore this part of his character is to consider him without fault. Often modern folks look at "impetuousness" as bad, but it can be used of God, but it can also lead to disaster.

2) Paul would not have presented to Timothy that which I quoted above if it was accomplished by God.

I never contended that believers stood in isolation, but neither is it possible to gloss over that impact of individually instilling certain ethics in which morality choices conform.

Even those without the work of the Holy Spirit can and do at times develop solid ethics which guide them to act morally.

4. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do appreciate your points, but don't see how they truly address mine.

Your statements seem to indicate a reluctance to admit dependence, or synergism, with regard to living the righteous life God calls us to, and this in denial of the earlier verses I quoted regarding walking by the Spirit, living by the Spirit, keeping in step with the Spirit, being led by the Spirit. All of these mesh perfectly with Paul's admonition to Timothy. It's almost as if you want to add to it that Paul is telling Timothy not to cheat by living by the Spirit.

My point about David is that you have no proof that he had none of your code of ethics similar to Daniel or Joseph. It is only imagination that equates his moral failing with evidence of such. I don't know where you got it, but it is a manmade doctrine, not a biblical one.

I especially appreciate your last statement. I probably don't understand Calvinism properly nor ever will, because such a statement indicates an obvious ability to first believe the Gospel, which I was sure Calvinists deny.

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Living the righteous life is not dependent upon God’s working all alone.

The believer is to actively be engaged in putting off the old and putting on the new. Be involved in submission to God through giving no place to the devil. All and more is part of the responsibilities of the believer. One does not “let go and let God” when it comes to resisting the god of this world and growing in wisdom and knowledge of that which is holy.

Certainly the Scriptures show a contrast between the character of David and Daniel. It is alarmingly obvious.

Did Daniel ever fail in his walk as a prophet?

Did David ever fail in his walk as a king?

6. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess we're done here. That post didn't aptly respond to anything I said, though it does seem to imply that I said things I didn't say at all. Sounds like you've created a doctrine from imagination rather than Scripture. The Bible doesn't really speak of either Daniel's or Joseph's failings, but if you're claiming they were sinless, then you're way off base.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it comes down to Holy Spirit love in the heart treating others as you would have them treat you. Rules on produce legalism that turns people into hypocrites who play the part even though their heart is not in it.

Back in the GARBC days, we shunned all kinds of things thinking it was holiness. But a heart of love knows what to do and what not to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they were not sinless, but the accounts do show great ethically based character that was lacking in others mentioned.

Have you considered the first chapter in proverbs in the light of this discussion?

It is all about establishing ethics that lead to appropriate moral behavior.

Ethics that guide decision and will prevent failure.

Morals come from ethics. Ethics and morals are not the same.

When guiding those who have stumbled, do you not consider these things?

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the “your not right with God” thinking ran off the rails. It was based upon a person trying to live to standards that were imposed rather than ethics taught and incorporated.

The question then is how does one “instruct” so as others will properly choose to build their character upon ethics rather than adopting someone else’s rules.

10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we walk in the Spirit we will line up with the Law in our motives and actions. Here's how I walk in the Spirit.

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.
    And we replace it with:

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. So Jesus is lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is ok, however, imo, it lacks a major part.

“Walk in the Spirit” in some sense has been taken in this modern times as someone of super spirit controlled rather that Scripture infused.

Consider Scriptures such as, “I will hide your word in my heart...” and “...holding forth the word...” and even such as found in Proverbs, “33but whoever listens to me will dwell secure
    and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.”

The human effort to “live in the Spirit” is a failure if it disregards the clear principles (ethics) laid out in Scriptures from which moral character may be securely shackled.

Without “...meditate(ing) on your Word day and night that I might not...” there is no “might” but a surrender to human corrupt will.
    Just as Psalm 199 states:

9How can a young man keep his way pure?
    By guarding it according to your word.
    10With my whole heart I seek you;
    let me not wander from your commandments!
    11I have stored up your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.
    12Blessed are you, O LORD;
    teach me your statutes!
    13With my lips I declare
    all the rules of your mouth.
    14In the way of your testimonies I delight
    as much as in all riches.
    15I will meditate on your precepts
    and fix my eyes on your ways.
    16I will delight in your statutes;
    I will not forget your word.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you do this? Then you will know it's not what anyone does in modern times.

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Not done in modern times?

Thousands flock to assembles (even Baptist) who are so trying to “get in the spirit” they have little concept that the Spirit does not speak of himself, but always through and empowered by the Scriptures.

“Speak to my heart Lord Jesus, speak that my soul may hear.”

Across from my desk have set very many shipwrecked because they tried to live “in the Spirit” but had no substance of principles (ethics) based upon the facts of Scripture as core to their character.

What do you actually teach?

If teaching not or ignores ethics based upon Scripture principles, is it not the based upon human situation and emotionalism?

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe many do not have the Holy Spirit so what I say remains a mystery to them. They try to clean up the flesh using the flesh and it remains impossible. Have you experienced walking in the Spirit as I do?

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you try this, it will keep you out of the flesh and free from sin but not temptation. It's impossible if you do not have the Holy Spirit.

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps placing “comprehension” as something attained by the Spirit?

The Scriptures state the Holy Spirit is a guide to the truth, not the to be confused with instilling of truth.

Many believers stumble because although guided they refused to consider.

Frankly, I have yet to meet a single educated adult incapable of understanding the meaning of a Scripture. What they do with the truth is turn away, shun, ignore, or attempt to excuse.

What does the Scripture teach is the responsibility of the Holy Spirit?
    But if I go, I will send him to you. 8And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;10concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.​

Therefore, it is impossible for the unsaved to miss the message.

Perhaps the modern teaching has lead many into some false concepts concerning the person and work of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit doesn’t instill knowledge, but guides the believer to the finding of “all truth.”

The Holy Spirit does not supernaturally impose wisdom and knowledge, but is that guide to such for the believer to work through.

Believers are to challenge the spirit to see if it be from a God.

Some believers who have little evidence of wisdom and knowledge, demonstrate the lack of spirit discernment and what message s being delivered, wouldn't’ you agree?

17. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why argue with Paul who teaches us how to walk in the Spirit? How do you know if you even have the Holy Spirit?

18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Site the Scriptures were Paul tells the believers HOW to walk in the Spirit?

Let’s see what understanding you really posses of the subject.

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's my approach to walking in the Spirit. (Says Paul).

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.
    And we replace it with:

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. So Jesus is Lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is good, however, in BOTH passages you quoted, the initiator of that accomplished IS NOT the Holy Spirit.

It is the person determining by establishing ethics as determiners that the Holy Spirit not be quenched.