1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrinal Decline....Reasons for It....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Found this blog online...if you want to comment on any portion...add scripture to support your idea....or do not tweet...

Why Slender Doctrinal Statements are Seldom Sufficient

Revivalism began the process of turning people from a thoughtful and theological faith to an experience-oriented belief. Modernism brought new ideas into the churches. Fundamentalism circled the wagons and reduced the faith to a few requisite doctrines. And Dispensationalism swept in to fill the void. In every case, covenantalism was shunted to the side, and Baptists lost their rightful heritage. A beautiful system of faith was exchanged for a novelty.”

Well there you have it. It all started with some well meaning men of God who desired not to “nit-pick” over every point of doctrine, but rather, to earnestly fight for the essentials of the faith in the face of the onslaught of Modernity. However, Christians were not intended by God to live with holes in our theology. The result was that a theological vacuum was created, and what filled that void ended up being a mere trifling novelty. We might look at those Fundamentalists with a bit of sympathy since we are still waging the same bitter war today, but we now have this distinct advantage over them: We know their history and the results of the choices they made. And as has been famously said, “Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.”

I remember visiting a church when I was a brand new baby Calvinist and asking them their position was on Calvinism and Arminianism. They told me that they choose not to take a position on that issue, that they taught neither Calvinism nor Arminianism, and that they just wanted to be biblical. Well, I was young and naive, so I thought that sounded well enough. However, within the first 15 minutes of the first sermon I must had heard the word “free will” at least a dozen times. After a couple of sermons I realized that “free will” was a normal emphasis in their preaching. So they really did have a position on Calvinism and Arminianism after all. They were flaming Arminians.

Conclusion
    To summarize, there are at least three reasons why slender doctrinal statements are seldom sufficient.

First, because once a doctrine is removed, it creates a theological vacuum, and some strange doctrine will inevitably fill that void.

Second, because a slender doctrinal statement is simply an unsaid doctrinal statement, which is beneath Christian integrity.

Third, because a slender doctrinal statement is a complete capitulation to the spirit of the age, so as to avoid giving offense to men who offend God daily by their lack of conformity to his revealed truth.

#1 Iconoclast, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It takes a lot of effort and time to think deep thoughts, meditate on scripture, and reconcile passages within a doctrinal framework.

I'd say one reason for the decline is not making understanding doctrine a priority. Many good Christian men and women will focus on working those good works within the community without delving deep into the Word.

Nothing wrong with the doing of good deeds, it is also expected of all Christians, but so is the learning, growing into a mature Christian with sound doctrine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So...are suggesting that dis obedience to Psalm 1....could set the groundwork for such a decline?
    Psalm 1 King James Version (KJV)
    1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

6 For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I would rather sit under a pastor I disagree with than one who agrees with everybody.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you thinking of some scripture to support why you believe as you do?
    What scripture might support a stand instead of a compromise?

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revivalism began the process of turning people from a thoughtful and theological faith to an experience-oriented belief.
    eph4
    13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Third, because a slender doctrinal statement is a complete capitulation to the spirit of the age, so as to avoid giving offense to men who offend God daily by their lack of conformity to his revealed truth.
    1tim4
    15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Timothy 3:12 King James Version (KJV)
    12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

• Like Like x 1
  9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It sounds much better when you quote scripture. I'll respond directly.. yes that was exactly what I meant to say.

Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there are some serious mistaken logical assertions in the opening statement of the OP.

"Revivalism" (appeal & immediate response) has nothing to do with Biblical revival, which demands repentance & a living faith in the LORD Jesus Christ. The cause of revivalism is a desire to preach a widely acceptable "gospel" rather than a God-honouring, life-changing Gospel. The result is superficial, unconverted "Christians" who, once "saved," continue on their way with a false assurance.

The doctrinal statement (or church allegiance) of the preacher, however complete, is not part of the equation. There needs to be discipline in holding preachers to the basic doctrine their church professes. How many church members understand the nuances of the church's doctrinal position? How many preachers in their church Bible studies teach systematic theology?

Modernism, allied to Darwinism, challenged the sole authority of Scripture. True believers left or were forced out of their churches - because the church leaders no longer held to their doctrinal statement. In the UK this applied to all the main denominations & these independent bodies were drawn together as "A Fellowship of Undenominational and Unattached Churches and Missions" with a 10-point doctrinal basis. (Now the FIEC, revised to 9 points.)

I agree that entrenching around a fundamentalist position could & did open the way for doctrinal error, particularly Scofield's teachings, because of the popularity & low cost distribution of the Scofield Bible as a one-volume commentary, which emphasises the sole authority of Scripture, but also promotes the dispensational system as opposed to Covenant theology.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Covenanter,

it could be his wording...

I think he agrees to this.

Epidemic in our day.

I find here...either a church is reformed and doctrinal and basically on the case, or it is non reformed and infantile in understanding.
    In the infantile churches ...there are a few,usually a core group who study a bit , enough to do most of the service in the church.
    The others need to be fed goat food, jokes, anecdotal illustrations devoid of anything close to a scriptural challenge.

How many have studied it themselves? The seminary guys have done some study...many call themselves Pastor, or reverend who have not studied enough if at all.

more downgrade...
    Good post as usual...

• Like Like x 1