1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Doctrine, and church membership

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ntchristian, Oct 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntchristian

ntchristian Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't deny what those scriptures plainly and explicitly say. I deny what you say they imply -- that Jesus was punished and killed in our place, paying the penalty for our sin debt. You won't find that said in scripture or believed in the early church.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I appreciate all the responses, I really do. I didn't want to get into debating atonement views, as I'm sure that has been done extensively here. I am firm in mine, and I assure you that is so because I've studied them all and know exactly what and why I believe. My purpose with this thread is to try to find an answer to my dilemma, by seeing how others would handle being in a similar situation as mine, that is finding oneself in serious disagreement with a major doctrine of the local church and/or denomination that you're apart of or considering being a part of.

This is of the utmost importance to me because I don't want to be without a body of believers to fellowship with.

I ended up in this situation because I used to be Orthodox. There were several such churches near me, where I used to live. Then I moved to a very rural area where there were no Orthodox churches. That's what started my search for a local church to attend, and simultaneously a search of New Testament and early church doctrines and practices. As a result, I became convinced I was no longer Orthodox, even if I had that option near me. But I also knew I could not be Roman Catholic -- came to that conclusion because of my studies. The only option seemed to be some brand of Protestantism. Right now, I am in limbo, and I fear I may not find a church.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I have several major disagreements with most churches and steer clear of them. I believe the Antichrist papacy still remains in the temple of God, doctrinally.

4. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must confess that one of the reasons that I joined my local Baptist church is the limited choices I have. It would irritate me if they focused heavily on their views of the End Times, as I hold a completely different view. I am fortunate to attend a church where I can voice my views and nobody minds. Unfortunately, you do not seem to have the same situation. I'm sure you are praying, and you are obviously seeking an answer.

Are there any non-denominational churches in your area? If so, you might visit them to see where they stand. I spent many years in the Army, and I moved a lot. Whenever I checked a church out, I would attend not only the Sunday morning service, but also an evening and mid-week service. If a church had a Sunday School, I would visit it as well. At the very least, you might discover a Bible Study group for fellowship. Hope this helps, Brother.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Rom 3:25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.

Heb 2:17 Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.

1Jn 4:10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But you have found a Baptist church which you are a member of, yes?

7. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is enlightening, and it does help.

There are a few non-denominational churches. They are Pentecostal in doctrine. I believe in all the spiritual gifts mentioned in the New Testament, but I differ in how I view these as compared to traditional Pentecostal views.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. There are many styles of Baptists. None in my area I would seek fellowship with. One I would trust is 40 miles away but that sort of time and travel is not an option.

9. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My grandparents were immigrants to the USA from Eastern Europe. They were Orthodox there and stayed Orthodox after moving here, although surrounded by Roman Catholics and Protestants. They never could get used to how their neighbors viewed God and man. The Eastern mindset is so different from the Western. Judaism and early Christianity were Eastern religions, and when Christianity moved westward, it took on new and unfamiliar views in contrast to the East. That's one thing I have learned in my studies. I don't think these contrasting and very different views of East and West can ever be reconciled, since they view God and man very differently. For me, having been brought up in the West but in an Eastern church, I have to say that I still hold to Eastern views of God and man, since I believe these are the views taught in scripture and the early church.

Maybe an answer for me is some conservative offshoot of Anglicanism, or Methodism, as I have found that these churches do encompass some Eastern features. At least, maybe I wouldn't be in a slim majority on my atonement views. I'm not sure about this. I'll have to look into it further. I might have to compromise in some of my other beliefs, such as baptism and church government, but these probably wouldn't be as crucial to me as the doctrine of atonement. Forgive me -- mostly thinking out loud here. Thanks to everybody for bearing with me on this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you mean about time and travel limitations, as I find myself in the same boat. So you are not able to attend church then?

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't attend church but spend every day in the word and related study. If you study prominent Catholic doctrines. They are easy to spot in practically every church. To me, this represents the presence of Antichrist linked to the Papacy.

12. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But I see you still identify as a Baptist. That's good, that you know what you are, where you fit in or belong. I don't attend church right now for two reasons: Covid, and because I don't know where I belong, if there is any such place.

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the 70's Christ converted me apart from any church involvement. Many churches were pro-war, so I went anywhere they tolerated peace. I bounced around for several years in Pentecostalism. One of those churches was teaching against "Limited Atonement" but the Lord opened my understanding of it as they taught against it. From then on I dropped out of Church and put in a library, mostly Reformed and Baptist. I became a Baptist as a result. Holding to most of the 1689 London Baptist Confession doctrines. In sampling churches from time to time, I found it best to study on my own.

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I generally avoid any church that doesn't use Scripture as its final authority in all matters of faith/worship, isn't Sola Scriptura, holds any man-made doctrines of faith/worship,(Which are all false, of course.) or has any man-made rules of lifestyle, actions, or worship procedures.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But those Scriptures do explicitly teach PSA even though there are definitively other aspects to the atonement. It is not solely PS that is taught regarding the atonement. That PSA is exclusively taught has never been claimed in Scripture.

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you, it would seem, deny the gospel that I believe. Romans 6:23, Romans 5:8, Romans 10:9, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 etc. Isaiah 53:6, 1 Peter 3:18, etc. John 19:28 before John 19:30. Isaiah 53:9-12. etc etc etc.

17. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NT is what the true first century churches taught. 1 Peter 3:18, ". . . For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, . . ." is PSA. Isaiah 53:6, ". . . the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all . . . " is PSA. Romans 5:8, ". . . Christ died for us . . . " is do to PSA. One Scripture is sufficient to understand this one truth of the atonement. As there are others also believed and are true.

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And these verses are showing PSA as valid?

They fit more perfectly in the victorious Christ followed by the early believers’ view.

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apostle explains that the lost lack the gospel in some way, 2 Corinthians 4:3, ". . . But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: . . ." 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, ". . . the gospel . . . how that Christ died for our sins . . . ." What would you explian as to what that means? That a lost person might know God and have eternal life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.