1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrines that Divide

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, May 12, 2024.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I expect no Christian doctrine is accepted by everyone professing to be a Christian, but I also expect many doctrines are widely accepted by a majority of Baptists.

I hold the Baptist distinctives of the General Baptists, but certainly some of these are rejected by the Reformed or Particular Baptists.

So setting that major divide among Baptists what are our common doctrines.

1. The Bible is inspired, thus in the original autographs without error.

2) The Bible is the final authority governing faith and practice. Nothing added counts for anything.

3) We believe in the Trinity, God in three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

4) The authority for governing our local assemblies resides with the local members and those elected by ballot of the members.

5) Priesthood of believers, we all can interface with God directly, no special persons dictate our fellowship with God.

6) The two offices of our local assemblies are Pastor (also called Elder, Overseer) and Deacon (those appointed to minister and carry out the directions of the Pastor or Elders.

7) Separation of Church and State, we are separatists in that we believe those who govern with the force of law should not dictate church doctrine. (No state church, no infringement upon our practice of our beliefs, including training our children in the way they should go.)

8) Our members are made up with believers, not children baptized as infants.

Now continuing to set aside the Calvinist divide, what other doctrines do we see asserted on this Baptist board.

1) Water baptism is more than just symbolic compliance with Christ's command.

2) Adam's sin did not result in all humans being made sinners, predisposed to sin.

3) Jesus did not die on a Friday and arise on Sunday.

4) Christ returned about 70 AD

5) Jesus will not reign on David's thrown on earth for 1000 years.

6) The future is fixed rather than God's and our actions can alter the future

I am sure there are many more as I see one unbiblical premise asserted after another from visiting posters. Which ones come to your minds?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Van,
    And there are some others not mentioned.

One common one between Baptist. When the post resurrection believes received the promise of the Comforter and the baptism of the Holy Ghost. John 20:22 versus Acts of the Apostles 2:1-4.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many believe the Holy Spirit can come "upon" individuals influencing them, such as inspiring them, without indwelling them. Thus the disciples might have received the Holy Spirit "upon" them (John 20:22) before Christ died, but only after He died we they "born anew," thus allowing actually indwelling But no doubt, others will say "taint so."