1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does anyone really believe Catholics are Christians?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Soulman, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I myself was a Catholic when I got saved. The person who led me to the Lord was a Catholic priest. I went to a Catholic high school in Orange County. Most of my Catholic friends were saved.
    I worshipped the same Jesus before I got saved than after I got saved. The one who saves us simply by faith in Him, the one born of the Virgin Mary, born of God and man.

The issues we most often tend to have with Catholics is with doctrines of practice and methodology. The salvation issue is different than those issues. Should we consider KJVO's unsaved because they believe in a "different God" that we do (they believe in a God who preserved one translation only, while the rest of the Christian world does not).

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Johnv: The issues we most often tend to have with Catholics is with doctrines of practice and methodology.The salvation issue is different than those issues. Should we consider KJVO's unsaved because they believe in a "different God" that we do (they believe in a God who preserved one translation only, while the rest of the Christian world does not).

You were led to God by a priest that believes he is a priest after the order of Melchisedec. The bible teaches there are no priests other than Christ because He does not need to be replaced by reason of death.

Hebrews 7:23-24 And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death: 24But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.

When you confess your sin, you confessed to a man that is not capable of absolving your sins. Nor can he intercede on your behalf.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Your false priest offers his version of Christ up for sacrifice every time he held a mass. His Christ resides in a little box in the form of wine and a wafer. Wouldn't that be the christ he presented to you?

The catholic version of the bible as well as most other translations contain salvation if read and we understand the Christ of the bible. A KJVO person simply believes that God is capable of preserving His word. While we may believe other translations to be less accurate, we still consider them Christians. It is the same God until you start changing doctrines of practice and methodology. Then tou have a different christ.

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

The catholic church preach another gospel and are therefore cursed of God. If your priest was saved I'll bet he isn't still a priest as the truth of God would set him free.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's amusing, coming from a KJVOist who preaches another gospel, that only the God of the KJV is the one true God. It's rather hypocritical for an adherer of false doctrine to accuse another person of false doctrine. It's quite laughable, actually.

4. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

I have tried to avoid this conversation, but I just can't do it. Soulman said that a person could not be saved in the Catholic church. That sticks to me as an assault on the power of our Savior! I am quite sure that Jesus can, and will, save ANY PERSON that calls on Him. If this person is sitting in a Catholic Church or anywhere else. No, the Catholic Church does not get much right. But, they do read scripture, which means that there is always the possibility of a sinner coming to the Cross.

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [link]http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/_christian/_articles/truth_about_roman_catholicism.htm[/link]

7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Three things you need to know to be saved:

1. "I Am" is God Almighty, there are no other gods before or beside him
    2. Jesus Christ is I Am incarnate, who came to earth, died, and rose again to pay for the crimes of humanity, including yours.
    2. If you believe 1 and 2, God promises you are a part of his kingdom forever.

Period. If you believe these three things, you are saved, regardless your denomination.

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    but what if you believe that you have to confess the sin you commit next week or you will lose your salvation (as many denominations teach) ?

I don't think that those people know what salvation by grace is.

So they aren't saved.

10. Preacher's Boy

Preacher's Boy New Member

Yes, many are Christians....I've worked with many in prison misisty and else where that are born again holy ghost filled....In any event, who are you and I to answer that queston for someone else
    I'm too busy avoiding sin and trying to live up to the great commission to worry much about someone els's church...thanks..

11. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, what do you believe that is a Baptist distinctive, then???

You sound NEW AGE to me.

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Pastor, who has a doctorate in theology and has
    pastored for 33 years, suggested I back out of this thread and pray for those who believe that Catholicism is ok.

So that is what I am going to do.

13. mioque

mioque New Member

My pastor can beat your pastor. [​IMG]

14. mioque

mioque New Member

By the way dcorbett

"I don't think that those people know what salvation by grace is.
    So they aren't saved. "
    "
    The notion that one has to perfectly understand the process of salvation to be saved sounds suspiciously like the heresy of Gnosticism.

15. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Johnv: That's amusing, coming from a KJVOist who preaches another gospel, that only the God of the KJV is the one true God. It's rather hypocritical for an adherer of false doctrine to accuse another person of false doctrine. It's quite laughable, actually.

I do not teach or believe in a God of the KJV as being the only legitamate God. Read my posts before shooting off your mouth!

Posted by Jamesbell: Soulman said that a person could not be saved in the Catholic church.

I never said a catholic could not be saved as unlikely as it is in the catholic church. I said that if a person is saved there he will not stay as God will lead him out.

Posted by Preachersboy: I'm too busy avoiding sin and trying to live up to the great commission to worry much about someone els's church...thanks..

You aught to know your enemy sir.

16. mioque

mioque New Member

And Soulman
    You ofcourse won't blame me (not a native speaker of English) for not taking the theology of a KJV-onlyist seriously?

You may call it envy if you like that better...
    :D

17. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by mioque: And Soulman
    You ofcourse won't blame me (not a native speaker of English) for not taking the theology of a KJV-onlyist seriously?

What are you saying mioque? That the KJV isn't the word of God? Be careful. Read your niv for all I care. I prefer the KJV as thr preserved word of God for me and mine. There is no hidden theology there. I believe people can be saved through other versions. I just don't revere them as highly as the KJV.

I notice that whenever people are cornered on a subject such as catholicisim they resort to personal attacks. Just shows your out of answers!

18. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

Can someone, anyone, tell me what a bible version has to do with this thread? I see no reason to bring that topic in at this point.

Soulman, if I misquoted you I apologize. I really thought I read what I quoted you as saying.

19. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by JamesBell: Can someone, anyone, tell me what a bible version has to do with this thread? I see no reason to bring that topic in at this point.

It doesn't have anything to do with this thread James. Some folks find themselves in a corner and resort to lashing out. Apology accepted. Welcome!

20. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Mioque,
    Please point out where I am in error concerning catholicisim. You are right about not having to understand everything about salvation to be saved.

But you MUST know:
    1. You are in sin.
    2. There is nothing you can do to get to heaven on your own.(rosaries, confession to priest, praying to Mary, pennance, purgatory, indulgences, etc.)
    3. You must know you are lost and undone.
    4. You must trust in Jesus and Him alone with His shed blood for the forgiveness of sins.
    5. You must ask Him to forgive and save you.

Is that clear and correct enough for you Mioque? Is it doctrinally sound enough?