1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does Faith, in either system, merit salvation?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Skandelon, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Bob, I am not so sure and as Lee Corso says, "Not so fast my friend." Jesus told the Pharisees and Saducees sayings such as "Ye are not of My sheep" , "My words have no place in you", "Ye will not come to Me that ye may have life", etc...

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Looking at that red stuff at the bottom of your posts I am glad I am not a Calvinist cause I sure don't believe that stuff. The Calvinists on this forum can speak for themselves!

Acts 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

Skan you must recall that the Jews were "judicially hardened" as you vigorously declared when we discussed the 6th chapter of the Gospel of John.

Romans 9:30-32
    30. What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
    31. But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
    32. Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

I believe that you completely misread Romans 9:30-32!

#62 OldRegular, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

It misrepresents Calvinists bro. It's simply there to antagonize. :thumbs:

4. OldRegular

I know!:thumbs:

5. preacher4truth

Thank you. :applause:

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Good, I'm not either. :) We have something in common.

Exactly! I'm glad we agree.

What did I say specifically that you disagree with? You started the post saying you don't agree with those two statement and now you seem to take issue with the last statement? Which is it? Do you affirm these statements or don't you?
    :confused:

7. OldRegular

Neither statement represents Calvinism.

In your statement #2 you say that Calvinism: (2) Presuming that the biblical teaching of man's inability to attain righteousness by law also proves that men must be equally unable to attain righteousness by faith. And then you reference (Rm. 9:30-32).

However Romans 9:30 clearly tells all of us: 30. What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. I believe that Justification by Faith [imputed righteousness] was the rallying cry of the early reformers, Luther and Calvin among others!

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

First of all I will address this "response-able" thing you like so much.

No Calvinist has the slightest problem with God making creatures able to respond.

A pendulum is made "response-able". I pull it one way, it responds by rocking the other. It is enabled, in the design of it, to respond to my initial action.

However it is responding EXACTLY as I designed it to respond doing exactly what I preordained it would do. Is it able to respond? Yes. Is it doing exactly what it was made to do? Yes. Is it independent? No.

So... I don't see why you think this "response-able" stuff is any point in your favor.

Secondly, your "non-calvinism" (whatever that means- it could mean ANYTHING) idea of faith has salvation going to the better people.

There is a reason why John chooses Christ and Jack rejects Him.

Either John is smarter or less depraved or whatever. But there is a reason.

So Jack then is dumber or more sinful or whatever.

So in your system, God is still electing to save some and leave the others to damnation.

He is electing to save the smarter or less depraved people.

Unless you have God working harder to reach dumber people or more sinful people to even the playing field.

And if the playing field is evened by such means, then the results will be the exact same.

Like it, lump it, thump it, bump it or jump it there is a REASON why some get in and others do not.

No amount of "cry me a river," emotional, feel my way through theology theology is going to change the facts.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

10. preacher4truth

Correct, and as we can see on BB the anti-cals and arminians believe man must enable God to save them, but when we speak of God enabling man to believe they hiss and spit at such a thought.

There is no need to wonder who is on the throne in their ideology -- it's man, and man in control, as to think of God as enabling man to them is to be repudiated.

It is only by the power of God we believe -- it is not personal achievement as preached by skan -- it is not inherent ability, it is God and God alone.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bravo---:godisgood:

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Woot, woot, woot! Encore, encore! Got any more goodies? LOL

13. OldRegular

Paul's statement about the Gospel should tell all of us something:

Romans 1:16, 17
    16.For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
    17. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Then of course there are the most wonderful teachings of Jesus Christ in the Gospel of John. Sadly some people can not or will not understand that the Doctrines of Election and Sovereign Grace originated with God, not Paul, Peter. Augustine, or Calvin, or any other man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.