1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God adopt His own children?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

Bill, "dialoug" is spelled dialogue.

2. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

I am just a simpul Calvinust frum New Joisey. If ewe have a problum wid dat speek to my cusin Joey.

Forgedabodit

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

But it DOES, and reformed theology snubs it's nose at it, or refuses to believe it because it would go against everything it stands for!
    Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
    Simple, Joe had faith in Christ, Ed didn't. Both were drawn, one responded. Why? Free choice. Why again? Don't know, Bible doesn't say.

The Bible does not say why some believe, and some don't believe. Some more...

Acts 16:31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."
    Romans 10:9 if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

4. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

Actually, the Bible says exactly why some believe and some don't. Some believe because they have been chosen by God. Others don't believe because they haven't been chosen by God.

What the Bible doesn't say is why God chose one and not another.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

you put the cart before the horse. God chooses some because they believe. He doesn't choose others because they don't. This is Scripture.

Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Nowhere in the Bible will you see salvation not based on a condition of believing.

6. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

But, webdog, the choosing took place before the foundation of the world. Then they believe. You don't believe first and then God says, "Well, I guess I'll choose him then."

Of course salvation is based on a condition of believing. Why do you guys keep putting words in our mouth. Just so you know, here is what we believe.

1) God elects those whom He will save.
    2) God predestines them to eternal life.
    3) God sent His Son to die for them.
    4) God then draws them to Himself and regenerates them.
    5) They believe (because God gave them faith)
    6) They are now called saved.

WE DO NOT BELIEVE ELECTION EQUALS SALVATION!!! It is only the first step taken by God in securing our salvation. Faith is a necessary step on our part. What we DO believe is that everyone who has been chosen WILL believe and be saved.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Adoption has zero to do with being placed into the family in the Bible.

8. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

So, what does adoption have to do with? If it doesn't involve sonship, inheritance, family, etc., why use the word "adoption?"

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It has everything to do with son-ship, inheritance, family etc. It has to do with placement within the family. It has to do with maturity. It has zero to do with being placed into the family (nativity).

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Bigy question for the non-Calvinist: Why would God need to adopt those who had chosen to be born into His family in the first place? </font>[/QUOTE]Because God is Righteous and Isaiah 59. And those were only His from the foundations of the world because God knew who would receive the Gospel.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Sal, it grieves me to see you stoop so low as to call Reformed believers cultists. You obviously know very little about the Reformation. To try and educate you would be fruitless since you are close-minded and not open to the truth.

I joined the Baptist board for fruitful debate and will continue in that pursuit with all believers of goodwill whether they be Reformed or Arminian. But you sir will not be one of those I seek dialouge with. I may vehemently disagree with a fellow brother or sister in here on a particular point of doctrine but I have never hinted that someone was in a cult. You owe all believers in here an apology....Arminian and Calvinist.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No, a cult is exposed by it's dogmatic approach in interpreting the Bible and thereby establishing it's false doctrine, I owe no one an apology, I do owe everyone the chance to hear the Gospel without any calvinistic bias. When you cause a schizm in the Body of Christ by calling some Calvinists and others Arminian you deserve the mark you begged for which is contrary to the doctrine of brotherly love.

Calvinism is a cult. It's leader is a murderer.

God only adopts those who were not worthy of sonship, including all people.

If as the Calvinist believes God gave the seed of salvation to only the elect, then Ephesians 2 is not Canon. But Ephesians as in the whole of the Book is Canon. It disproves Calvinism.

Dead in tresspasses ans sins is D E A D!

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

No, because to apply that type of reason or even the aspect of Roman tradition to the method of God adopting children is heretical in that no authority is given over God to allow God to adopt!

To believe as you tried to relate by comparison the Spirit of Adoption denies the foremost doctrine of repentence. Repentence is a conscious choice to turn from sin to the Lord for salvation.

Except ye REPENT! Ye shall ALL likewise PERISH!

That is an ultimatum, not a formula.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep throwing around "cult" and "heresy" and posts will be snipped.

And calling Calvin a "murderer" contributes nothing to the conversation (if it can be called such) and serves only to inflame other posters.

rsr

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yes, ususally the Truth does "inflame" other posters. Now please tell us why Calvin had Arminius put to death?

I'm NOT "throwing" anything around. I made a point blank statement that cannot be dealt with ... [snipped as per previous warning]

[Personal attack snipped]

I fully understand the Romanesque form of adoption in it's effort to bring the adopted into a more financially able family and that person became their servant. I fully understand that I am the servant of the Lord due to His adopting me into His family.

The Doctrine concerning adoption REFUTES Calvinism. Period!

If this isn't a topic for debate, then why have a debate forum? If any debate is only considered as such to ONLY be acceptable to the false doctrines of Calvinism, then this should NOT be Baptist Board, but a Dutch Reformed Calvinists Board! [​IMG]

[ April 18, 2006, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Salamander said:

Sorry, but I have an English Bible and apply the Scripture to the English understanding and don't allow Roman catholocism to dictate what the Bible means.

Um . . . you are aware that there is a difference between a "Roman" and a "Roman Catholic," right?

16. whatever

whatever New Member

I would really like to hear your theory on "why Calvin had Arminius put to death". Please?

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

I would really like to hear your theory on "why Calvin had Arminius put to death".

Seconded. But wait till I've got the popcorn. [​IMG]

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the last year of Calvin's life he gave the 4-year-old Jacob a delayed-action injection with poison. So delayed was it ,that it did not result in Arminius' death until decades later . At least that's my theory .But I'm not sticking to that story necessarily .

Oh, that's the how . Anyone else can step up to the plate and answer why . Maybe Calvin had the Arminian version of foreknowledge .

19. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Maybe Calvin had the Arminian version of foreknowledge .

So Calvin didn't actually put Arminius to death, but just looked down the corridors of time and saw Arminius put himself to death?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know . These crazy fairy tales are too much for me . I am not as imaginative as some here . Real church history would be a start . That is non-fiction.