1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God allow Divorce Today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said Moses allowed divorce because of the hardness of people's hearts. But God did not approve of this Matthew 19:4–8. Malachi says God hates divorce Malachi 2:15.

Since Moses allowed divorce under the Old Covenant, and Jesus abolished the Old Covenant on the cross, is divorce valid today?

By replacing the Old Covenant with the New, it would mean, Matthew 19:9 and the “except clause” is an idle discussion. It centered on the Old Covenant divorce Moses tolerated. And it no longer applies especially for believers who must forgive.

Replaced by the New Covenant, it would mean any divorce today issued by any court of law is invalid in God’s sight. And people are as married leaving the court as they were in coming.

But again, the main concern would be that those seeking divorce are unforgiving. Which is a damnable sin. We must forgive to receive forgiveness.

With spousal abuse, it seems separation would be necessary until the abuse stopped. The early church fled abuse, but held a forgiving attitude towards all. But forgiveness would leave the door open for reunion.

Thanks for considering this and sharing your views on any or all points.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul states that a Christian spouse can be bibical divorced if her partner decides to end the marriage based upon their inability to accept the spouse relationship with Jesus now, and so desertion would be justified grounds, and adultery that is not confessed and not dealt with breaks that Covenant in sight of God also!

• Like Like x 2
  3. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true. But Can Christians divorce Christians? There is no forgiveness for the one initiating the divorce unless they forgive. And the divorce is on paper only. They are married until one dies.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that God expressed ideal would be 2 Christians remain together until one of them dies, but also do see there being biblical grounds for a divorce even among Christians, but would be a last resort.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians divorce every day so yes, God allows divorce today.
    ...and no, getting or being divorced does not cost one their salvation.​

Does divorce please God?
    Even if their are grounds for divorce I believe God is not honored.

Rob

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would see it as the very last resort, as when one of the couple is into infidelity, and just refuses to deal with it at all, for example!

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only does God allow divorce. God IS divorced!

Jeremiah 3:8 I saw when, for this very cause, that backsliding Israel had committed adultery, I had put her away and given her a certificate of divorce, yet treacherous Judah, her sister, had no fear; but she also went and played the prostitute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Divorce = unforgiveness = no forgiveness by God = damnable heresy to teach such.

9. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Divorce and remarriage is the real question.
    One of my sons met a girl a few years younger; they knew they should marry. She was daughter of an elder in a charismatic church & one had prophesied "she would marry her next boyfriend, before she was twenty."

We & other counselled against a marriage when they had only just met, but her father & Pastor were in favour. Within a year she had left him, committing adultery with one of his friends. They divorced.

He remarried a year or two on another Christian, daughter of a Methodist Pastor who had died at 50. They have two lovely children & all seemed to be going very well. Then she demanded a divorce - why we don't know. The settlement allowed him to buy another home.

He's married a third time, another Christian.

AFAIK his faith has not wavered, though he's at a charismatic church still.

Obviously God allows divorce, but I'm sure he doesn't approve of Christians divorcing - but I doubt if his first two wives were true believers.

10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a sad story. My position (having close kin in the same basic situation as you) is all divorce is not worth the paper it is written on. And any "divorced" and remarried are committing adultery. Needless to say I'm not a big favorite at family get-togethers.

11. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one leaving the marriage & causing the divorce can be forgiven, but presumably would not want to return to the marriage. They can be forgiven, & will be forgiven by the Christian, but the Christian will be left alone, often with children to care for with a limited income.

Remarriage is permitted for the faithful partner -
    1 Cor. 7: 15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.

25 Now concerning virgins: I have no commandment from the Lord; yet I give judgment as one whom the Lord in His mercy has made trustworthy. 26 I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress—that it is good for a man to remain as he is: 27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you.

The whole chapter is difficult to interpret, but if a faithful believer in Christ become divorced because of the actions of the spouse, and they remarry in the Lord, the believer is still in the saved relationship with Christ, sinless in God's sight. Remarriage in the Lord will not break the relationship with the Lord.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More damnable would be to have the injured party be forced to endure a womanizing husband, who get drunk on a regular basis, and beats on her, and she has to still put up with that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as the will of God is to always reconcile and restore 2 Christians, but if due to the hardness of ones heart, they leave, than the injured freed to remarry in the lord

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm reminded of an interview I heard of Billy Grahams wife... She was asked Sister Graham have you in your long marriage, ever thought of Divorce?... Her response was Murder yes... Divorce never!... So how is your marriage?... Brother Glen:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not even the same thing. There is a big difference between allowing someone to leave, and initiating and seeking a divorce from your spouse.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as the one who should press for it in this situation would be the guilty party.

17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I lost my first Christian wife and I watched her die for four years of Kidney Cancer... We were married for 30 years... Then I met another Christian divorced lady who was divorced for 10 years because her husband was sleeping with another while in the church... Blatant infidelity and the church condoned it... She tried to get him to go to counseling but he refused... His name was on the church books when I married her but he hadn't been to church since they divorced... My question is my wife died I am free to marry again... Since her husband disavowed his wedding vows, we know what scripture says about that and since she didn't is she free to marry again?... Don't concern yourself, your answer will not affect my marriage to her in the least... What is your ruling brethren?... Brother Glen:)

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that your current marriage is seen By God as being legit!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I truly believe that she should not have divorced or remarried, there is nowhere in the wedding vows that say "better or worse, except in cases of unfaithfulness" there are also parts of the vow where you promise to the love them, does that mean anytime of selfishness violates and nullifies the marriage covenant?

Scripture IS ABSOLUTELY NOT CLEAR that adultery constitutes grounds for divorce.. It's based on one particular interpretation of the "exception clause" in the bible, and the permission for those divorced to remarry is based on a forced interpretation of a particular verse in 1 Corinthians 7. If people would actually be honest about what the Bible says and actually think critically about these passages related to this then we wouldn't be having these problems.

"saving for the cause of fornication" does not HAVE to mean adultery, it could include fornication before the marriage is consummated like with Joseph and Marry, or it could refer to an incestuous marriage that was never valid in the first place. and even still, the OP is right that we are not under the old covenant anymore and divorced was allowed for the hardness of the human heart, as was polygamy....I wonder if the Christians on this board view divorce in the same way as polygamy?

"is not under bondage" in 1 Corinthians 7 DOES NOT CLEARLY mean FREE TO REMARRY, this is a good example of eisegesis.

Husbands are suppose to love their wives as Christ loved the church, show me in the New Testament where Jesus Christ divorces his bride for unfaithfulness!

Explain to me how loving your spouse as if she was your own flesh and blood means divorcing her for her unfaithfulness.

Take a good look at the book of Hosea brothers and sisters.

20. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like something my wife would say. :Laugh

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.