1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God ever permit divorce?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by sanderson1769, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry. I thougnt that God said that Joseph was going to divorce Mary BECAUSE he was a JUST man. Thought the word there was dikaios, righteous. Of course, that could not be, since divorce is always a sin...

</font>[/QUOTE]Jews customs were what most would call "strange" today, as proof of a woman's virginity, the bed sheet with the blood from the broke "hymen" would be displayed at the city gate.

And as proof of our "Virginity" (Saved) the blood of the lamb will be displayed before God.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't think you'll find this in Scripture.

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry. I thougnt that God said that Joseph was going to divorce Mary BECAUSE he was a JUST man. Thought the word there was dikaios, righteous. Of course, that could not be, since divorce is always a sin...

</font>[/QUOTE]In Matthew 1:19, the word δικαιος is correctly translated either righteous or just. In this context and sense, just is better when considered in reference to law. Joseph was a just man in the sense that he was fair, honest and willing to obey the prevailing Jewish law. Regarding the divorce question, Joseph would have been functioning under the OT law of Deuteronomy 24.

3. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

But, do we not have a God of 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th...) chances?

4. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Not saying that we, as Christians, do things intentionally to push the envelope. If I did....I wouldn't have seriously asked the above question. I mean this pure-heartedly. Don't we have the God of 2nd chances?

5. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Jews customs were what most would call "strange" today, as proof of a woman's virginity, the bed sheet with the blood from the broke "hymen" would be displayed at the city gate.

And as proof of our "Virginity" (Saved) the blood of the lamb will be displayed before God.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't think you'll find this in Scripture.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Re 14:4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins.

Heb 9:22 and without shedding of blood is no remission. (of sin)

1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ,

All Jewish customs apply to scripture, in some manner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.