1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God ever permit divorce?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by sanderson1769, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Amen, and amen...

Legalism blinds and binds, like the Pharisees. Grace gives sight and freedom (obviously I mean within the bounds of the Word as opposed to legalistic Phariseeism).

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Could be temptation, trouble in the flesh who knows except it came from Satan so pretty sure sign it is sin.

2 Corinthians, chapter 12
    "7": And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

paidgogous; That is true also but I take it the way its written it means you are free to marry in that case.

3. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Paidagog,

This was an extreme time and an extreme reaction. Do you contend that this was a sinful action? God did not command it, but He seems to sanction it with His continued blessing upon the Jews returning from dispersion.

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Just went back and read the argument that since God allowed homosexuality, He permitted it. NO WAY! God regulated polygamy, He forbade homosexuality. By regulating polygamy, He gave tacit permission for it to continue. It was never the pattern, as I have said before, it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Eve and Mary and Sally. NOR WAS IT ADAM AND STEVE! One man, one woman, one lifetime. One pair and no spare!

Divorce is never God's best. But sometimes, because of sin, it happens. God allowed it. Deut 24 was a regulation of the practice that the Jews picked up from their neighbors. Again, GOD DOES NOT REGULATE THAT WHICH HE EXPLICITLY FORBIDS!!!

This is a VERY important principle.

I gotta go back and read about 4-5 more pages in between to catch up with you guys. Had a busy day...

6. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

At this rate, by the time I get to catch up reading on this thread, it will hit the 20 page limit and get closed!

7. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I will never understand why Soloman was allowed so many wives and cocubines?

8. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

God may have tolerated Solomon's excesses, but the man paid a heavy price for his actions...

9. standingfirminChrist

That he did.

Solomon wrote in Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing; and obtaineth favour of the Lord.

I think Solomon found too much of a good thing.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Good thing He built the temple don't you think?

11. standingfirminChrist

12. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

So, according to your reasoning, polygamy may be permitted by God too. Do you have a Scripture definitely terminating it? Wow, I can marry another wife to help mine do the dishes and housework. :D

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Isn't it strange that Christians are universally against polygamy but we are divided on divorce. I think that I can construct a stronger argument, although a specious one, from Scripture for polygamy than for divorce. Strange!

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Help with dishes?

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Actually, it's polygyny, not polygamy that is the issue here.

16. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Since God had to give Israel a divorce, he gave man the right to divorce, under the same conditions, as was said, none of it is God's will, but sinners is all God has to work with, and sin is never finished until death.

I just glad when Paul ask for the thorn of sin to be removed God said his Grace was sufficient to cover the sin.

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I have a problem with your exposition. How do you know it was a thorn of sin?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ro 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Ro 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Doesn't Paul say "there was given me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me...? Just askin', but it seems to me he identified what the "thorn" was pretty well. It was a "messenger (or angel) of Satan.

Ed

18. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is the TV killer going to be banned, or shall we have to endure yet another un-Biblical (and likely just plain weird) "sermon" again next week?

19. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Good for you! So, why is polyandry an abomination whereas polygyny, although not approved, was tolerated?

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

You don't have to endure anything. If you don't like it, don't read it or don't log on. Let the man speak his mind. If we curtail someone else's opportunity to express their ideas, then someone will hinder the free expression of our ideas some day. Where is your tolerance? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.