1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Hate Sinners?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jul 12, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Recently I was reading Psalm 5 when I came across this verse, "The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers" (v.5). The KJV reads, "The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."

I grew up hearing, "God loves the sinner but hates his sins." Then I read this Scripture. What should we make of this Scripture?

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

God hates the sinner and the sin. But thats not a very popular message today, brother.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Define "hate". Sane (hebrew) and Miseo (greek) have very different meanings from our engilish word.

We're also told, as believers, to hate our mother and father and sisters and brothers. Same meaning?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then God hates us...because we sin. Try again...

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Agreed. We know that God loves even the sinner.

John 3:16 (Calvinists, do not read :))

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Romans 5:8
    But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I am following your argument. How then should we understand the Hebrew verb sane in the light of the Greek verb miseo as used in Luke 14:26?

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Let's not turn this into another Calvinism debate, please. I understand what those verses say, but help me understand Psalm 5:5 without pitting Scripture against Scripture.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Obviously God hates sinners. It says so plainly in Psalm 5:5. God also loves some sinners enough to have mercy on them. The next question is, why only SOME sinners? Then it turns into a Calvinism debate.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The problem you have with this, then, is God STILL hates sinners. We are still sinners. God must hate us...

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since the greek was derived from the hebrew...I'm not really following what you are asking...

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Or we should stop sinning.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Before the 16th cen. when Calvin was born and wrote his Institutes of the Christian Religion, how did devoted followers of Jesus Christ, when they read Psalm 5:5, understand it?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We'll see how long that lasts. Remember the 24 hour sinless thread?

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I didn't mean that it has to be reduced to a Calvinism issue as in "it only mattered after Calvin". I'm just saying that such a debate is almost sure to ensure. Look at what we know:

1. The Bible says God hates evildoers
    2. The Bible says we are all evildoers (all have sinned and fall short, etc.)
    3. The Bible says that, nevertheless, some of us receive mercy, which changes us from evildoers to servants/adopted sons who err (not the same thing as being an evildoer)

It's only natural to ask, why only some of us? Then you have to start dealing with free-will and election.

Or you can just stop at #3, I suppose, and just accept the fact that God hates evildoers but has mercy on some.

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

God will tell you which ones He has mercy on in the bible, it's not a huge secret.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't have my hebrew definition of the word sane, but from memory, "detest" and 'despise' are two variables of the word.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Greek was not derived from Hebrew (that's another thread). The Greek of the NT is koine. If we refer to the Greek OT, then we are talking about the LXX, which is koine Greek as well.

I am simply using the Greek miseo, "hate," which you brougnt up, as the counterpart of the Hebrew sane, "hate."

Here is the Greek OT, the LXX on our passage: ου διαμενουσιν παρανομοι κατεναντι των οφθαλμων σου εμισησας παντας τους
    εργαζομενους την ανομιαν
    . In bold letters is aorist act. ind. of miseo. Maybe this should help.

What then does it mean that God hates evildoers?

#17 TCGreek, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

David was a man after God's own heart.

Psalms 101:3-5
    3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
    4 A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.
    5 Whoso privily slandereth his neighbor, him will I cut off: him that hath a high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, He must be saying something to the effect of hateing the sin but of course just reading the scripture it seems He hated the evildoer himself. I know He said He hated the "deeds" of the Nicholadins but He told us to love our enemies. He also said that he that is a friend of the world is an enemy to God which has to be the sinners. Why would God tell us to love them when He didn't?
    I suspect He was telling us the "evil deeds" is what He hated.

Rom 5:8But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allow me to quote a sermon I am sure you know well...

-Jonathan Edwards, "Sinners In The Hands of An Angry God".

http://www.leaderu.com/cyber/books/edwards/sinners.html